Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The 240x240 screen is also too small, especially since both the Treo 650 and rumored 700p have 320x320 screens. Its almost like Palm has deliberately crippled the 700w to make the PalmOS versions look better.
    Why is this repeated over and over again as if this is somehow Palm's fault that WM does not support 320x320 resolution?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Why is this repeated over and over again as if this is somehow Palm's fault that WM does not support 320x320 resolution?
    ...we are all selfish bastards, unwilling to cut Palm ANY slack when it comes to their decision to go Windows!

DIE, MICROSOFT! DIE!!!

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Because they could have leapfrogged the competition and gone 480x480?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Gfunk, as I tend to agree with you on most occassions. MS developers have written some blogs/articles explaining that 240x240 limitation and have gone on the record to "claim" that if PALM so wished 320x320, it could have been done AND as sursur just pointed out, even 480x480 would have been even easier.
    The part the blogegrs linda skim around tho is it coulda been done if Palm wanted to fork over the cost of development. Would you pay $1195 for a Treo w/ 480 x 480 screen ?
    Absolutely agreed that the cost of it would have gone up. That being said, R & D for a 480x480 Treo 700w would not have skyrocketed by double the cost. This isn't 2002 where the cost of a 480 screen is that expensive. And doubling 240x240 is a simple code change, where a 320x320 is a hefty rework for redrawing screens.

Would it have cost? Sure, but it wouldn't have just been the Treo 700w that could have profited from it. They should have made it a VGA device, plain and simple.
    It's not the R & D for enabling the screen but simply purchasing the hardware. look at CPU's, the FX-60 from AMD is like $1,000 but the one that goes 50% as fast is like $175.

And yes, the 320 x 320 code woulda been a bit of a bear which s wy I don't see Palm underwriting the cost of it and , with MS terms, Palm pays for it and then MS can sell it to anyone when done.

Looking at other full featured PDAs tha have been announced and with the projected cost of Hollywood at $895 w/o these features, I can see adding the 480 x 480 screen hardware .... LCD, memory (220% more pixels), Mobo reconfig, etc adding $200 - $300 at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    It's not the R & D for enabling the screen but simply purchasing the hardware. look at CPU's, the FX-60 from AMD is like $1,000 but the one that goes 50% as fast is like $175.

And yes, the 320 x 320 code woulda been a bit of a bear which s wy I don't see Palm underwriting the cost of it and , with MS terms, Palm pays for it and then MS can sell it to anyone when done.

Looking at other full featured PDAs tha have been announced and with the projected cost of Hollywood at $895 w/o these features, I can see adding the 480 x 480 screen hardware .... LCD, memory (220% more pixels), Mobo reconfig, etc adding $200 - $300 at this point in time.
    I don't forsee the 480x480 hardware being that much more, they can do it in the LD pretty reasonably. And I think we are both in acknowledgement of the 320x320 just not being feasible.

Palm doesn't do anything cheaply either. For some reason, all their devices go up in cost with features going down. Other manufacturers are now producing phones at the $400 - $500 range (i.e. 8125) with much better specs. As I mentioned earlier, PALM released a device (Treo 700w) that was outdated and overpriced the month it was ANNOUNCED.

Shame on them. What's even more baffling is their SUDDEN upgrade in stock.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh
    They should have made it a VGA device, plain and simple.
    How would they have fit that in the Treo form factor? A VGA Palm T|X, maybe. On a Treo, you're talking about either compressing the screen (to near-microscopic size) or making the overall device bigger. The user has to see where he/she is tapping and read the text on the screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    I'm seriously starting to debate visiting this forum lately. Did we really need another thread about the 700w problems? It's starting to get old... really, really old.
    I see no problem with it as to the fact that I think Sprint didn't pick this phone up early at the end of February as stated by Bear Stearns for a reason inspite of Verizon's exclusive on the device. And if Palm becomes history in the future or Linux takes the spot...I don't think Microsoft is giving up on Palm anytime soon, and this thread may one day be all about the prefix W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    How would they have fit that in the Treo form factor? A VGA Palm T|X, maybe. On a Treo, you're talking about either compressing the screen (to near-microscopic size) or making the overall device bigger. The user has to see where he/she is tapping and read the text on the screen!
    My apologies, my thoughts got ahead of my typing. Hi-Res. I should have said Hi-Res. Heh, a VGA Treo... mmmmmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ads

...CUT...

But the real problem with the Treo 700w is the pitiful stability of the software. Many users (including I) have seen their units lock up and become totally unresponsive until reset. Even when running correctly, the phone can become sluggish and go away for a minute or more. Worse, even an incoming phone call wont wake up the Treo when its in this state. Ive lost quite a few calls because the phone went wonky.
    What a bad news. Reading your lines it was like reading mine about my GSM 650 (aka FRREZE issue). The problem has been partially solved by Palm with the last very good fw release, but around one year later the launch.

I'm so disappointed by Palm!! In my eyes this means that the problem is not the OS but the hw design made by Palm. They should have a chronic problems. Even worse, the do not learn by their mistakes.

I think that I won't never buy a Palm device any more!!

A sad Treo lover!!!
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    What a bad news. Reading your lines it was like reading mine about my GSM 650 (aka FRREZE issue). The problem has been partially solved by Palm with the last very good fw release, but around one year later the launch.

I'm so disappointed by Palm!! In my eyes this means that the problem is not the OS but the hw design made by Palm. They should have a chronic problems. Even worse, the do not learn by their mistakes.

I think that I won't never buy a Palm device any more!!

A sad Treo lover!!!
    VERY valid point, but the difference between PALM and MS manufactuers is that PALM can correct their inhouse issues for their devices. Usually if a MS device is slow and sluggish, the support has to come from the hardware manufacturers. They will say its a software issue, which relays it to MS or third party developers. With PALM being use to the issue of correcting their mistakes, maybe there is hope.

I would love to get my hands on the 8125 and put it through the ringer like I did with my PPC-6601 and the PPC-6700. They did NOT hold up to the stability issues just as the Treo 700w hasn't. I just don't want to get near Cingular.
    VERY valid point, but the difference between PALM and MS manufactuers is that PALM can correct their inhouse issues for their devices. Usually if a MS device is slow and sluggish, the support has to come from the hardware manufacturers. They will say its a software issue, which relays it to MS or third party developers. With PALM being use to the issue of correcting their mistakes, maybe there is hope.

I would love to get my hands on the 8125 and put it through the ringer like I did with my PPC-6601 and the PPC-6700. They did NOT hold up to the stability issues just as the Treo 700w hasn't. I just don't want to get near Cingular.
    Two points:

1. The biggest issue with sluggishness is 32mb RAM on the 700w. PERIOD.

2. I've been running the 8125 for seven weeks: (a) not one reset; (b) only "sluggish" when there are too many apps (8?) running to overload the 200 MHz OLPA processor - even then, the battery saving is worth it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Two points:

2. I've been running the 8125 for seven weeks: (a) not one reset; (b) only "sluggish" when there are too many apps (8?) running to overload the 200 MHz OLPA processor - even then, the battery saving is worth it.

This might be thread jacking, but, how is the battery life compared to say... the Treo 650?

I had the PPC6700, and when I turned on WiFi, 30% would drop from 5 minutes of surfing. Also, I like having my AIM programs always running, it can be done via EDGE and I still can't last the day. Verichat wasn't always stable on my 650 and battery life on the MS devices couldn't handle it, so I did the next best thing, I bought a SK2 and keep TWO devices with me.
    Two points:

I don't know exactly what you mean with sluggishness, but the only thing that I know is that a phone (a quite expancive one!!) CAN NOT FREEZE ON ITS OWN AND LOOSE YOUR CALLS AND SMS WILE IN THIS STATUS. From my point of view, where a lost call (forever lost) could a loss of money, a freezing phone is not reliable at all.

I can 100% live with a slow device wile running 8 tasks, but I can't with an expancive device that loose my calls.

PALM: YOU DISAPPOINTED ME.
    PALM: YOU LOST A CUSTOMER.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    This might be thread jacking, but, how is the battery life compared to say... the Treo 650?

I had the PPC6700, and when I turned on WiFi, 30% would drop from 5 minutes of surfing. Also, I like having my AIM programs always running, it can be done via EDGE and I still can't last the day. Verichat wasn't always stable on my 650 and battery life on the MS devices couldn't handle it, so I did the next best thing, I bought a SK2 and keep TWO devices with me.
    All I can say is that the Cingular 8125 checks for email, calendar, contact and task changes every ten minutes during the day (wireless access to our MS Exchange Server), with a dozen or so calls worked in around those (while at the office) and I still have 80-85%, and if I use Internet (EDGE) maybe another 10%. That's every bit as good as my former Treo 650.

Will WiFi suck the battery - damn straight - but what should you expect (and by the way - where's the WiFi button on your Treo 659 - oh, that's right, it doesn't support WiFi so it can't drain the battery). Sorry for the sarcasm, but I believe the battery life on my 8125 is generally better than my Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    I don't know exactly what you mean with sluggishness, but the only thing that I know is that a phone (a quite expancive one!!) CAN NOT FREEZE ON ITS OWN AND LOOSE YOUR CALLS AND SMS WILE IN THIS STATUS. From my point of view, where a lost call (forever lost) could a loss of money, a freezing phone is not reliable at all.

I can 100% live with a slow device wile running 8 tasks, but I can't with an expancive device that loose my calls.

PALM: YOU DISAPPOINTED ME.
    PALM: YOU LOST A CUSTOMER.
    We're on the same side here. The Treo 700 shouldn't lock and lose calls or SMS - all I was saying is that my Cingular 8125 (an HTC Wizard) does not. It can slow down when running a lot of apps, as some folks complain, it has never locked up and dropped a call on me.
    All I can say is that the Cingular 8125 checks for email, calendar, contact and task changes every ten minutes during the day (wireless access to our MS Exchange Server), with a dozen or so calls worked in around those (while at the office) and I still have 80-85%, and if I use Internet (EDGE) maybe another 10%. That's every bit as good as my former Treo 650.

Will WiFi suck the battery - damn straight - but what should you expect (and by the way - where's the WiFi button on your Treo 659 - oh, that's right, it doesn't support WiFi so it can't drain the battery). Sorry for the sarcasm, but I believe the battery life on my 8125 is generally better than my Treo 650.
    I used the PPC6700, basically the CDMA Wizard... It was sluggish as well. I think I might just wait around (yes I like to be tortured) for the Treo 700p.
    I used the PPC6700, basically the CDMA Wizard... It was sluggish as well. I think I might just wait around (yes I like to be tortured) for the Treo 700p.
    Sorry if I left the impression mine's sluggish - it's really not, unless I let a lot of programs run in the background (6-8). That's almost stopped happening now that I'm using the latest update of Smartskey, which not only enhances one-handed operation, but provides a true shutdown button (the "X" terminates the program, not just minimizing it).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast