1.    #1  
    Here is my question. I have nextel for my job and can't get out of using it but I would like a Treo device for data collection using the keyboard.This new treo would replace my current Palm so I wondered can you buy a Treo on say Ebay and use it as a pda only? I also wonder can if you get a sprint Treo can you activate its wireless data plan on it without a voice plan? I found out I can do this with verizon if I pay for data only then I have to pay 25 cents per call and I don't have to have a voice monthly voice plan.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    No, you can't use it as a PDA only. You MUST make phone calls. You can't NOT make phone calls - even if you don't want to.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    I do much the same. I have a Nextel account with 5 phones. My Nextel phone is an i605 with a great Bluetooth implimentation. Anyway, I have a Sprint Treo 650 with the minimum number of minutes (400) and unlimited data and SMS. You gotta have voice in order to play with Sprint. The company I work for makes heavy use of email and SMS, so the unlimited data plan is great. I do not use PictureMail at all.
    Ben
    T-Mobile internet without the phone plan was 30 dollars a month. Now it's 50 a month.
    Sure you can use it as data only, though personaly I would get something else, like the xv6700 if your only going to use data. The larger screen & keyboard would do you wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Sure you can use it as data only, though personaly I would get something else, like the xv6700 if your only going to use data. The larger screen & keyboard would do you wonders.
    Yes you can use it for data only, but I know that at Sprint (as stated above), you have to have a phone plan - whether you use it or not. However, Sprint probably has the best unlmited data plans. Mine is $10 for unlimited, but it is currently comp'ed for 2 years.

I also agree that if you just want a data device, look at the 6700. The 6700 has built in WiFi too.

cT
  7.    #7  
    ok, but wondering if text messages and IM is included in the umlimited plan on sprint?
    Tritan

Text messages, no.

IM, depends... if you run a program that uses data then yes its included. If you use a program that works over text messages, then no.
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan
    ok, but wondering if text messages and IM is included in the umlimited plan on sprint?
    With the data plan, you could do IM online - which is really almost like doing email unless you purchased a IM program! They have a Yahoo "live" IM service that costs $2.99/mo.

As for text, as stated above, not included in the data plan (maybe that's why Sprint data is cheap??). Currently the prices are: 100 SMS/$5/mo., 500/$10/mo., Unlimited/$15/mo.
  10.    #10  
    I just called sprint she stated you can't get just a data plan you have to use buy the cheapest voice plan ata 29.00 and the UD is 25.00 bucks!!! ouch.. Now you have jumped to the price point of verizon.
    Tritan

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    No, you can't use it as a PDA only. You MUST make phone calls. You can't NOT make phone calls - even if you don't want to.

I mention this becuse I tryed blackberry but you have to have voice service in order to use it.
    Tritan

Quote Originally Posted by tritan
    Here is my question. I have nextel for my job and can't get out of using it but I would like a Treo device for data collection using the keyboard.This new treo would replace my current Palm so I wondered can you buy a Treo on say Ebay and use it as a pda only? I also wonder can if you get a sprint Treo can you activate its wireless data plan on it without a voice plan? I found out I can do this with verizon if I pay for data only then I have to pay 25 cents per call and I don't have to have a voice monthly voice plan.
    If thats the case, buy a laptop, unless it isn't in budget.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    If thats the case, buy a laptop, unless it isn't in budget.
    already ordered a new laptop last couple of days.. still want a smaller device.
    Tritan

14.    #14  
    this device would help fill that instant on craving for data.
    Tritan