1.    #1  
    It makes sense that Palm would build their own OS, HOWEVER, Access who bought PalmSource are doing the exact same thing around Kernel 2.6.12

Theortically, many Palm programs should be able to run under emulation with no changes.

Anyhow, you may want to consider that Palm is hiring Linux programmers to work with the Access techs. Otherwise, two competing 'Palm' OSs running Linux is odd and IMHO unlikely since Palm is still liscencing from Access into the foreseeable future.
    How about listing the advantages and disadvantages to Palm of Palm going in with Access vs the same with Palm going it alone.

Surur
    That is easy:

Advantage of building their own: Success or failure is determined in-house

Disadvantage of relying on Access: Success or failure is in the hands of Access.

That seems like a no-brainer to me.

Now, are there any non-compete agreements that keep Palm from putting a PalmOS like GUI on Linux? There is a key question IMO.

No way I would rely on Access for anything at all. Nothing. I don't know them, they have no track record at this scale. I would not bet my company on them even if I had Windows as the fall back.

Really, Linux is the best direction Palm can take. You need Windows as an option and a revenue generator right now. But Linux will beat Windows on the server, desktop and handheld over the next 5-7 years.

That is my bet.
    I don't like to get into these arguments because they don't make sense, but, Linux is NOT going to take over the Windows market on the home PC in ANY foreseable future. Handheld? Mayyyyyyyyyybe, I don't have any information to prove it and neither do you. Making statements like that are silly. Is it more reliable and stable? Opinion based. But, every Linux fanboy (myself included) swears how its the future, and as of right now, for the general home user, they don't even know it exsists as an option. Sorry for thread-jacking... I just get all weirded out when I see those comments like that.
    Yeah, I want anything besides M$, but there is ZERO way to know what PALM will do, or whether Linux will succeed or fail at this point, and I gurantee Vegas would bet fail.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by mausalot
    Anyhow, you may want to consider that Palm is hiring Linux programmers to work with the Access techs. Otherwise, two competing 'Palm' OSs running Linux is odd and IMHO unlikely since Palm is still liscencing from Access into the foreseeable future.
    Palm's and PAlmsource's crosslicensing was recently extended to 2010 and does not include ALP. Much was made about Palm, Inc's non participation in teh PalmSource pressconference announcing ALP at 3GSM this year and many journalists keep doubting teh success of ALP unles Palm Inc signs on. I also saw the employment ads as a indicator that Palm Inc would dign on but teh wording of more recent ads has made me question that. I would still agree with you except for the fact that Palm, Inc has been dead silent on ALP and that silence speaks volumes.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110894
    I recall that Palm is allowed to use the GUI / Emulator in any OS they release. As for non-compete, I don't know the specifics.

The power Palm has behind the success and failure of ALP is overwhelming.

Personally, Palmsource is in trouble if they don't find a decent manufacutuer that wants to use their OS. It isn't like MS, where the OS is the product. Every form of PALM (Palm, Palmsource, Handspring, PalmOne....) has some sort of connection. Makers of MS handheld devices do not have that same dynamic and is therefore striving to make the better devices due to competition. Palm doesn't compete in the same way. They are an alternative OS AND HARDWARE, which is a niche. Where as, with MS devices, you are simply competing with hardware.
    Hi Darth Pooh, where have you read that Palm is allowed to use the GUI and Emulator ? Thanks!
    I do not think you will see an ALP/Palm product. Ever. I wish it weren't so, but this is what my gut is telling me. What is truly frightening is that leaves me in the unenviable position of having LG as my possible savior when it comes to an ALP smartphone.

*shudder*

I can't believe I just typed that.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I do not think you will see an ALP/Palm product. Ever. I wish it weren't so, but this is what my gut is telling me. What is truly frightening is that leaves me in the unenviable position of having LG as my possible savior when it comes to an ALP smartphone.

*shudder*

I can't believe I just typed that.
    Neither can we,

although you are more right than wrong. No ALPO for you (or the rest of us).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    Hi Darth Pooh, where have you read that Palm is allowed to use the GUI and Emulator ? Thanks!
    I don't remember the exact article and I don't have insider information. I think it went around during the time of the Palmsource buyout. Where Palm has reserved the use of the GUI (Garnet) for future devices and isn't on a "per device" use. So if they come out with a life drive 2, they can use the "frankengarnet" without paying more for its use. Now, obviously, it's an OS that is at the end of its shelf life anyways. Maybe I am confusing that they are allowed to include the PalmOS emulator in their own version of a Linux OS, which is obviously different from using a version of Garnet.

Does anyone know if Cobalt is a Palm or an Access product? That would be interesting if it were ported to a new Linux kernal.