Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a delivery driver at work, so I'm in a company truck the majority of the day. I dont mind this, but what I do mind that there is no CD player or tape deck in the truck. There is a radio, but Tulsa radio stations play the saaaaame thing over and over and honestly I get sick of it.

So I had an idea...I have a 2gb card for my 600, so what if I used it instead of the radio? That way, I could listen to what I want, when i want. This would undoubtedly run down the battery much faster than normal usage. Do you think it would hurt my phone for it to be plugged into my car charger whenever I'm in the truck? Thanks!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    I do it all the time. Get yourself an FM transmitter and go for it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I do it all the time. Get yourself an FM transmitter and go for it.
    i have an fm transmitter that i use with my ipod sometimes, but i dont have the audio jack adapter for my phone. i'll have to check best buy or radio shack or something..maybe they'll have an adapter that'll work.

if only there was software out that so i could listen though my handsfree earpiece (like if i'm in the library at school) instead of having to bother with seperate earphones and getting an adapter!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Last edited by hoovs; 03/31/2006 at 01:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    if only there was software out that so i could listen though my handsfree earpiece (like if i'm in the library at school) instead of having to bother with seperate earphones and getting an adapter!
    You mean your BT? I thought some people here were able to get something to work. I could be wrong (I'm BT challenged since I have a 600 ), but try a search.
    Wait a second, if you have an iPod why aren't you using it?
  7.    #7  
    no, i have a 600 and i dont have BT..i have a little logitech handfree earpiece that i plug in (this one is similar)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9656
  8.    #8  
    Wait a second, if you have an iPod why aren't you using it?
    the battery runs out fast because its always being turned on and off and on and off and i dont have a car charger for it

i do however, for my phone
  9.    #9  
    the battery runs out fast because its always being turned on and off and on and off and i dont have a car charger for it

i do however, for my phone
    oh, and the FM transmitter just EATS batteries
    Ah, I see. Well, the only problem you might have with your Treo is that when all that bling is in full public view you might get jacked.
  11.    #11  
    nah, my baby goes in my back pocket when i have to leave my truck for a long time

Besides... I know all the people I deliver to (its the same people over and over) so I would know who to blame if it did get stolen anyways lol
    no, i have a 600 and i dont have BT..i have a little logitech handfree earpiece that i plug in (this one is similar)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9656
    Oh, by the way, I use this when I'm flying.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-29--477.htm

They make other 2-in-1 headsets so this one may not be the best for you. Either way, I wouldn't recommend wearing them while driving of course.
  13.    #13  
    Oh, by the way, I use this when I'm flying.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-29--477.htm

They make other 2-in-1 headsets so this one may not be the best for you. Either way, I wouldn't recommend wearing them while driving of course.
    Thanks for the link. In the truck at work I was just thinking about using the speaker on my 600, not a headset :-P
    You won't be able to hear it. Like I said before, get the adapter and use the transmitter.
    My setup for my car is a cassette-adapter, a 2.5 mm adapter with an inline mike (for calls), a retractible charge cable, and a lighter-to-usb adapter for power. I don't like FM transmitters, because I can never get the station to lock in for sound, but you may have better luck.

I use it all the time, but keep in mind that you have to remember to turn off pTunes when you're not playing music, as it chews the heck out of your battery and the 650 does NOT like running out of juice.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
    My setup for my car is a cassette-adapter, a 2.5 mm adapter with an inline mike (for calls), a retractible charge cable, and a lighter-to-usb adapter for power. I don't like FM transmitters, because I can never get the station to lock in for sound, but you may have better luck.

I use it all the time, but keep in mind that you have to remember to turn off pTunes when you're not playing music, as it chews the heck out of your battery and the 650 does NOT like running out of juice.
    Our delivery trucks dont even have a tape deck. Only a radio.
    So I had an idea...I have a 2gb card for my 600, so what if I used it instead of the radio? That way, I could listen to what I want, when i want. This would undoubtedly run down the battery much faster than normal usage. Do you think it would hurt my phone for it to be plugged into my car charger whenever I'm in the truck? Thanks!
    Yes, very much so. Just about all of the car chargers you see on the shelves at the cell phone store are "rapid" type w/o current limiting. They are designed to charge the phone very fast and don't stop charging once the battery is fully charged. I believe the effect is most pronounced on Nickel Hydride and Nickel Cadmium types and while the Lithium ion may be more resistant, it still will suffer the effects of a rapid charger.

If you have bought a Palm Cradle or Palm Treo Wireless Headset, I'd like to siggest the best and most economical alternative. Buy a 12vDC -> 120vAC converter and leave it in ya glove compartment. And instead of carrying a car charger, carry the same charger that you use at home (I have 3 from the 650, TWH and cradle and leave 1 in each car). You can now power your charger for the 650, your iPod , your digital camera, your BF's gameboy / phone, your hair dryer, a cocktail blender (good for when stuck in traffic ) or whatever you want.

There are good chargers out there but they are gonna be more expensive than the $9.99 - $14.99 no-name jobs at the cell phone store. Once ya spending $20, it seems more logical to buy one device that can power many things.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/31/2006 at 02:55 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Yes, very much so. Just about all of the car chargers you see on the shelves at the cell phoen store are "rapid" type w/o current limiting. They are designed to charge the phone very fast and don't stop charging once the battery is fully charged. I believe the effect is most pronoiced on Nickel Hydride and Nickel Cadmium types and while the Lithium ion may be more resistant, it still will suffer the effects of a rapid charger.

If you have bought a Palm Cradle or Palm Treo Wireless Headset, I'd like to siggest the best and most economical alternative. Buy a 12vDC -> 120vAC converter and leave it in ya glove compartment. And instead of carrying a car charger, carry the same charger that you use at home (I have 3 from the 650, TWH and cradle and leave 1 in each car). You can now power your charger for the 650, your iPod , your digital camera, your BF's gameboy / phone, your hair dryer, a cocktail blender (good for when stuck in traffic ) or whatever you want.

There are good chargers out there but they are gonna be more expensive than the $9.99 - $14.99 no-name jobs at the cell phone store. Once ya spending $20, it seems more logical to buy one device that can power many things.
    hmm thats a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Yes, very much so. Just about all of the car chargers you see on the shelves at the cell phoen store are "rapid" type w/o current limiting. They are designed to charge the phone very fast and don't stop charging once the battery is fully charged. I believe the effect is most pronoiced on Nickel Hydride and Nickel Cadmium types and while the Lithium ion may be more resistant, it still will suffer the effects of a rapid charger.
    What are those effects, Jack?
    Well about the only effect you can have on a battery is reduced life (well other than blowing up ). I explained in another thread with numerous other peeps jumping in that we purchased 4 Nokia phones at one time. Plus we bought the extra extended batteries for two of them so I actually had 6 bateriries. When Suffolk County came out w/ its hands free law, my wife bought a car charger / speaker / hands free thing. Her battery was useless after about 2 months....if phone easn't plugged in you couldn't use it. She then went thru the 2 stock batteries over the next 6 months. The other two phones were used by field peeps and when we went from a construction job where we had a trailer to one which didn't and therefore no 120v service on site, the two employees bought car chargers ...within 2 months their batteries wouldn't hold a charge for more than a half hour.

Many others noted similar experiences when we last talked about it and there's been several articles written in this regard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast