Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. jhn
    jhn is offline
    jhn's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am thinking about getting rid of my 600 for a 650, and was looking at switching from Sprint to Cingular.

    I have found that Cingular charges $30 a month for data plan, where Sprint is $10.

    Is this correct, and is Cingular any better than Sprint.
  2. #2  
    You will find hero and horror stories on both sides.

    Price is one thing, cell coverage in where you go is another. Who has the best coverage in where you frequent?

    Sprint 700P with EV-DO is supposed to be out by June, if not late May. Do you have EV-DO coverage?

    650's will soon be on sale.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...720#post942720

    Cingular is supposed to get the slimmer antenna-less "Hollywood" Treo later this year.

    When you do upgrade:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/30/2006 at 07:49 PM.
  3. #3  
    I used to have ATT now Cingular. Moved over to Sprint and have no regrets specially having to only pay $10 for unlimited data. Reception is better for me also. Sprint has good customer service if you speak to the right person. I'm on my 2nd term contract and they were able to give me 30% discount on my monthly bill for 2 more years. Plus a year ago they upgraded my 600 to a 650. I've used all carriers cept T-mobile and Sprint by far is the best for me overall.
  4. #4  
    Cingular customer for 5 years, great experience with both treo 600 and 650
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhn
    I am thinking about getting rid of my 600 for a 650, and was looking at switching from Sprint to Cingular.

    I have found that Cingular charges $30 a month for data plan, where Sprint is $10.

    Is this correct, and is Cingular any better than Sprint.
    Here's the technical differnces.

    -Sprint's / Verizon's model allows BT headset and audio jack output simultaneously.
    -Reports of volume problems (headset / speakerphone) are much higher with Sprint model than verizon and Cingular. Methinks this was primarily due to being first one outta da gate. PC Mag reports that sprint volume is 12 db less than others. problem easily solved with VolumeCare
    -Cingular's GSM model gets 50% more battery life.
    -Cingular's GSM model has ability to swap SIMS so you don't risk your $500 investment on a fishing trip, bike ride, etc. Just put ya SIM card in freebie phone and who cares if you bike into tree or drop it in the drink.
    -Cingular's GSM model has faster download speeds w/ EDGE but you will only notice this on large file downloads. Due to GSM's latency, with regular e-mails / browsing etc., on line experience very similar, even in speed tests.
    -Cingular's GSM model allows use during international travel by swapping SIMS
    -Cingular GSm can receive calls while on internet.
    -Cingular charges:
    ---$19.99 / mo. for unlimited data (MediaNet).
    ---$39.99/mo. for unlimited data w/VPN (PDANet)
    -Sprint charges $15.00 / mo. for Vision servcie but some peeps have been able to sweet talk down to $10.
    -Verizon charges $39.99 / mo for unlimited data which is $5 off regular price which you get if you have a qualifying voice plan.

    Now all that means beans if you don't get the best available reception. This shoul be the primary criteria for your selection. In NY metro tri state area, Cingular is tops but remember that whatever $$$ they spend here to build cell sites is $$$ they don't ahve to put them somewhere else. And even if some independent arbiter has rated one carrier superior in one genral geographic area, you could live or work where they have a "hole" so good research is key to cellular satisfaction.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/31/2006 at 10:19 AM.
  6. #6  
    Jack, you are such a freakin' Engineer.


    Although:

    Your Post: probably a 9.7 on a scale of 10.

    My Post: 6.3, maybe.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Jack, you are such a freakin' Engineer.
    That's a compliment of the highest order.....engineers make anal retentives look like lazy anarchist procrastinators.
  8. #8  
    Jack - that was nice - easy to see which one you use.

    However, no matter how technical you get it all comes down to one thing (think of Jack Parks here) - can you get a good signal and make a freakin' call? IMHO, signal strength is, above all, the most important thing. What good is a phone, or a whole family on a network, if you can't get a good signal? Overall, AT&T and/or Cingular let me down - Sprint has always had the best US coverage for me. Now, I don't like the fact that I have to rent a phone when I travel abroad (though I do not do that much) and the SIM card thing is cool. But Sprint's coverage and data plans kick a**, again IMHO.

    BTW - I have been w/Sprint long enough to have a free Vision data plan - so my data plan really does kick!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    Jack - that was nice - easy to see which one you use.

    However, no matter how technical you get it all comes down to one thing (think of Jack Parks here) - can you get a good signal and make a freakin' call? IMHO, signal strength is, above all, the most important thing. What good is a phone, or a whole family on a network, if you can't get a good signal? Overall, AT&T and/or Cingular let me down - Sprint has always had the best US coverage for me. Now, I don't like the fact that I have to rent a phone when I travel abroad (though I do not do that much) and the SIM card thing is cool. But Sprint's coverage and data plans kick a**, again IMHO.

    BTW - I have been w/Sprint long enough to have a free Vision data plan - so my data plan really does kick!


    Hi CarolinaTex!!


    Jack didn't include your thoughts in his post? I'm confused.

    Now all that means beans if you don't get the best available reception. This shoul be the primary criteria for your selection. In NY metro tri state area, Cingular is tops but remember that whatever $$$ they spend here to build cell sites is $$$ they don't ahve to put them somewhere else. And even if some independent arbiter has rated one carrier superior in one genral geographic area, you could live or work where they have a "hole" so good research is key to cellular satisfaction.
  10. #10  
    sorry, didn't mean to overstep my boundries here - I should have left out "However".

    Back to my noobie hole.....
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    sorry, didn't mean to overstep my boundries here - I should have left out "However".

    Back to my noobie hole.....

    No overstepping -- It just confused me!

    I agree totally on Sprint pricing and my coverage in Grand Rapids is better than Cingular's -- but as both you and Jack state:

    Every region of the country -- and even every city block has different coverage -- so you need to test before you select! I have one location in GR that is a black hole for coverage for Cingular (and any GSM) and I spend 5 to 10 hours a week there!

    Cheers, Perry.
  12. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhn
    I am thinking about getting rid of my 600 for a 650, and was looking at switching from Sprint to Cingular.

    I have found that Cingular charges $30 a month for data plan, where Sprint is $10.

    Is this correct, and is Cingular any better than Sprint.
    One way to check coverage is to sign up for prepaid services from each carrier, but I don't know whether good voice coverage translates to good data coverage.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    One way to check coverage is to sign up for prepaid services from each carrier.
    Before I switched from Cingular to Sprint -- I went into what is now my Sprint Store -- explained the situation -- and they gave me a "store loaner" for a day to check coverage before I made the jump.

    Cheers, Perry.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    Jack - that was nice - easy to see which one you use.
    Actually I use two. I have both GSM (CNG) and CDMA (Verizon) phones.

    Are you saying any of the statements are incorrect or exagerated ? Those are not the differences between CDMA and GSM. If I have indicated anything which isn't correct please illuminate me.

    Quote Originally Posted by carolinaTex
    However, no matter how technical you get it all comes down to one thing (think of Jack Parks here) - can you get a good signal and make a freakin' call? IMHO, signal strength is, above all, the most important thing. What good is a phone, or a whole family on a network, if you can't get a good signal? Overall, AT&T and/or Cingular let me down - Sprint has always had the best US coverage for me.
    Did yu finish reading the entire post ? I thought I covered that with the following:

    "Now all that means beans if you don't get the best available reception. This shoul be the primary criteria for your selection. In NY metro tri state area, Cingular is tops but remember that whatever $$$ they spend here to build cell sites is $$$ they don't ahve to put them somewhere else. And even if some independent arbiter has rated one carrier superior in one genral geographic area, you could live or work where they have a "hole" so good research is key to cellular satisfaction."

    From my personal experience, and again I have multiple phones on multiple carriers, in my area, my Cingular Treo gets better signals in more areas than my Verizon phone in the car and the verizon one has a built in antenna booster. Sprint just doesn't cut it here on eastern LI.

    Nationwide you must recognize however that for 2 years Verizon has boasted the best network based upon independent studies which showed them to have the fewest dropped calls. Cingular forced them to stop airing those commercials at least in the northeast, when last year's studies showed CNG to be tops in the NY tristate area. I know in the Chicago area that Verizon edged out the competition in a recent study but other than that I just haven't been following. California seems to have a lot of "Sprint Country" I notice tho.

    Reception varies from region to region, state to state, county to county, town to town and even block to block. I keep the 2nd phone in the car in case of an instance where I am out of CNG reception. Last call I made on th eVerizon phone was in April.

    Quite often in any given area it's what carrier gets there first and negotiates the best sites.
  15. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Before I switched from Cingular to Sprint -- I went into what is now my Sprint Store -- explained the situation -- and they gave me a "store loaner" for a day to check coverage before I made the jump.

    Cheers, Perry.
    I like your approach much better. It's similar to those 24-hour test drives I saw on those GM vehicles. Is this something they do at every store, even for other carriers? Did they ask you for some kind of deposit?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I like your approach much better. It's similar to those 24-hour test drives I saw on those GM vehicles. Is this something they do at every store, even for other carriers? Did they ask you for some kind of deposit?
    I had been in that Sprint store a couple of times looking at the Treo 650 over a 30 day period. So I was a somewhat known quantity. They knew I was with AT&T/Cingular and that I had a Tungsten T3 paired with my bluetooth GSM phone.

    As I recall, I did not give them a deposit. Basically -- making sure they had coverage where Cingular was failing me was my last decision point in signing up with them and purchasing a Treo 650. They offered the loaner of a generic phone they had in the back room. The rest is history.

    I am sure this is not a standard service -- at any cell phone store -- but, I am guessing, with a deposit and a drivers license -- most stores would accommodate a reasonable request in this regard.

    Cheers, Perry.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I like your approach much better. It's similar to those 24-hour test drives I saw on those GM vehicles. Is this something they do at every store, even for other carriers? Did they ask you for some kind of deposit?
    I walked into a store and jokingly said I want three loaners, one Treo on each of the major networks. While I was standing there FedEx arrived with his very first Cingular Treo so that was outta da question. But I could have taken store demos on any carrier I wanted.....couklda came back 3 days in a row and tried all 3 phones. With so many advanatges to an "all carriers" brick and mortar (cheaper phones, shorter contracts, "finagling" assistance, select ya own number, rebates cashed on da spot - no waiting 180 days, no waiting for shipping, try ebfore you buy, etc.) , I can't understand why I haven't run into another TC user yet who said they shop this way.
  18. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I had been in that Sprint store a couple of times looking at the Treo 650 over a 30 day period. So I was a somewhat known quantity. They knew I was with AT&T/Cingular and that I had a Tungsten T3 paired with my bluetooth GSM phone.

    As I recall, I did not give them a deposit. Basically -- making sure they had coverage where Cingular was failing me was my last decision point in signing up with them and purchasing a Treo 650. They offered the loaner of a generic phone they had in the back room. The rest is history.

    I am sure this is not a standard service -- at any cell phone store -- but, I am guessing, with a deposit and a drivers license -- most stores would accommodate a reasonable request in this regard.

    Cheers, Perry.
    I would like to try your approach for a Nextel phone, so I guess it's time to cozy up with my local Sprint store reps. Thanks for the info.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Actually I use two. I have both GSM (CNG) and CDMA (Verizon) phones.

    Are you saying any of the statements are incorrect or exagerated ? Those are not the differences between CDMA and GSM. If I have indicated anything which isn't correct please illuminate me.



    Did yu finish reading the entire post ? I thought I covered that with the following:

    "Now all that means beans if you don't get the best available reception. This shoul be the primary criteria for your selection. In NY metro tri state area, Cingular is tops but remember that whatever $$$ they spend here to build cell sites is $$$ they don't ahve to put them somewhere else. And even if some independent arbiter has rated one carrier superior in one genral geographic area, you could live or work where they have a "hole" so good research is key to cellular satisfaction."

    From my personal experience, and again I have multiple phones on multiple carriers, in my area, my Cingular Treo gets better signals in more areas than my Verizon phone in the car and the verizon one has a built in antenna booster. Sprint just doesn't cut it here on eastern LI.

    Nationwide you must recognize however that for 2 years Verizon has boasted the best network based upon independent studies which showed them to have the fewest dropped calls. Cingular forced them to stop airing those commercials at least in the northeast, when last year's studies showed CNG to be tops in the NY tristate area. I know in the Chicago area that Verizon edged out the competition in a recent study but other than that I just haven't been following. California seems to have a lot of "Sprint Country" I notice tho.

    Reception varies from region to region, state to state, county to county, town to town and even block to block. I keep the 2nd phone in the car in case of an instance where I am out of CNG reception. Last call I made on th eVerizon phone was in April.

    Quite often in any given area it's what carrier gets there first and negotiates the best sites.
    Jack, yes I did read it - and I thought I covered it when Perry mentioned it a little further above. I certainly did not mean to contradict anything you said - I was trying to add that service is the most important thing in choosing a carrier - not features or phones. I obviously did not type that out right.

    Again, my apologies.

    cT

Posting Permissions