Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At least that what it says here:

http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?itemid=60

"Things are getting interesting at Palm Inc., the makers of the Treo smartphones but not (to date) of the operating systems they run on. First, back in November of 2004, there was a source that reported Palm was "exploring partnerships that could let it use a tailored version of the Linux OS to run on its devices". There was some credibility because this was the same source that first leaked Palm's plans to release a Windows Mobile Treo--correctly as we now know. Other rumors of Linux devices from Palm flew about for a while, but there was nothing tangible. Then Palm went through a spate of hiring Linux engineers that seemed to start around the time they lost their bidding war to acquire PalmSource. Most recently there has been a job description posted on Palm's website for a Linux handset engineer that specifically mentions development of "a new software platform." Now I've received confirmation from someone who actually knows what's going on.

The analyst I communicated with by email has been privy to Palm's plans in the past, so I asked if he could confirm my conclusion that Palm is writing their own Linux OS. He did, and they are. He asked not to be named, but here's what he said when I asked what he knew:

We know about it. Palm has stated on several occasions than 80% of their engineers are software engineers, they are perfectly able to design their own operating system and are working on it. I know they had a prototype of a Linux Treo 650. From my discussions with management my impression is that Palm is hedging their OS risk by developing in-house systems as well as keeping relationships with Palmsource and Microsoft. I know that future Palm models will be coming out with both operating sytems in order to test market reaction.

I asked if he knew whether any of the Treos slated for later this year were expected to run Palm's new Linux-based system. He said they would run Windows and Palm OS Garnet and that the "new operating system will be introduced in 2007 (donít know if fiscal or calendar)."

So there you have it, folks. It seems that we now have not one but two companies working on a successor to the Palm operating system: PalmSource, the company that Palm spun off in 2003 to continue the development of the Palm OS but which was recently acquired by ACCESS; and Palm Inc. itself, which own's the Palm brand and is therefore the only party that can actually name their platform "Palm OS." It's thought that ACCESS, heavily staked by DoCoMo, will be looking largely to Japan and China for its customers. Meanwhile Palm, dominant in the US smartphone market, has been conspicuously quiet about the announcement of the ACCESS Linux Platform in February. Now we know why."
    GO PALM !!
    Plam? what's a Plam?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Plam? what's a Plam?
    You haven't learned to read Jack-ish yet?
  5.    #6  
    Plam? what's a Plam?
    Sorry about that Merlyn. You can blame my great - great - great - great - great grandmother for being too slow a runner. I have early stages of Dupuytren's Disease which is the bulld up of tissues under the Palm of the hand extending up into the fingers. Tho I can still open my hand all the way, it affects my typing and sometimes turns me into a dyslexic typist.

Since my ancestry is english / irish and only those of "Viking" decent are known to get Dupuytren's, I figure that my g-g-g-g-g-grandmama was just too slow a runner when those Viking hordes did all their raiding, raping and pillaging .
    hehe...just playin around
    My 10-great only takes me back to 1637 in Rhode Island. (Yes, Randal Holden got kicked out of Massachusetts with Roger Williams.)

You got a 60 year thing going between generations there, Jack?

Back to topic -- this is the best news I have heard about Palm in many moons. Taking back control of the franchise. I am now really excited! Heck, I am so excited, I could wait an extra one or two days for my 700P without complaint!

8.    #9  
    hehe...just playin around
    No explanation necessary ... just my bit of an apology for the eye crossing I been puttin peeps thru. . Here's a funny one in that regard, Doc told me I can delay effects by excercising the tissues by rubbing my hand up and down a knurled or turned (ya know like a twisted rope design) wooden dowel . He then said, "I didn't learn this in med school but OTOH, my mother always told me that process would make me go blind ."
    We really do need a new Palm OS...
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The big question is do Palm have the rights to the Palm OS name or will they be forced to call it something different
    So, in your opinion, the "big" question isn't something like "Gee, I wonder if this will FINALLY deliver on the things we've wanted out of POS?" but rather, "Will it be called Palm OS?"
    Well, far be it from me not to answer your "big" question, so here you go. YES!!! Palm OWNS the rights to the Palm name! did you even read the thread before you posted that?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    So, in your opinion, the "big" question isn't something like "Gee, I wonder if this will FINALLY deliver on the things we've wanted out of POS?" but rather, "Will it be called Palm OS?"
    Yep I'm not interested in what it looks/works like It was a light hearted post

...did you even read the thread before you posted that?
    Yes but missed the bit where it said they still had the rights to the PalmOS name
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    The big question is do Palm have the rights to the Palm OS name or will they be forced to call it something different
    Palm actually owns the right to the Palm name....they bought it from palmsource last year.
    And I thought April fool day was tomorrow...... Ahhh well.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Palm actually owns the right to the Palm name....they bought it from palmsource last year.
    They (PalmOne, now Palm) worked their tailoff to get "Palm" name So they can use it as a hardware manufacture (that is why they released Windows mobile). To call Palm an OS is out of question. I may lean towards PalmLinux or something totally new. Hey any OS systen is called Y yet??? How about Treo900Y (with Palm new Linux based OSY, I hate apple they took my X).
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Yep I'm not interested in what it looks/works like It was a light hearted post

Yes but missed the bit where it said they still had the rights to the PalmOS name
    Not really capable of handling "light-hearted posts" before coffee. Shouldn't have gotten on the boards that early.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Yeah, but they'll have to use the possesive case ... Palm's OS. Aka PalmSOS. Should be a better flavor than ALPOs tho.
    Patrick Horne
    Perfect...so the new Palm OS may come out when my two-year re-up expires with VZW. So I'll just skip the 700p and go with whatever they call this new one (hopefully it'll be out by Xmas 2007!)
  19.    #20  
    Probably 8 people know the full details of that agreement . They could certainly call it the Palm Hollywood OS or the Palm 800p OS but the marketing PHB's will probably come up with some new loony name like Intel did with Viiv (rymes with "Connive") or MS did with Vista which I think was intended to imply you gotta take out ya Visa card and buy a new computer to use it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast