Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 87 of 87
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    So there you have it, folks. It seems that we now have not one but two companies working on a successor to the Palm operating system: PalmSource, the company that Palm spun off in 2003 to continue the development of the Palm OS but which was recently acquired by ACCESS; and Palm Inc. itself, which own's the Palm brand and is therefore the only party that can actually name their platform "Palm OS." It's thought that ACCESS, heavily staked by DoCoMo, will be looking largely to Japan and China for its customers. Meanwhile Palm, dominant in the US smartphone market, has been conspicuously quiet about the announcement of the ACCESS Linux Platform in February. Now we know why."
    The only possible reason I can see Palm wanting to create their own Linux distribution for their devices instead of using Access's ALP would be licensing cost. Since "Linux" which is licensed under the GPL then Palm could build on it with their own GUI similar to KDE or Gnome. Though what's important to consider is that Access already has experience and resources with Linux developement and is increasing their ISV support. So it's more likely that Palm will continue to market their products with HTC manufacturing the Treo, etc and have Access supplying the OS with base applications.

    Seeing the direction Palm is heading it makes me question why they decided to get into bed with Microsoft with the release of the Treo 700w? While I see Linux as providing a better solution for Palm and it's customers, I really don't see the need for them to continue to use Windows Mobile in their products. There's no way Microsoft will be able to compete with the lower TCO with Palm using Linux compared to using Windows Mobile. After all developing and licensing costs are dramatically different. Also one has to consider when looking at consumers if asked "Do you want to legally get software for free?" they'll most likely say "yes". With Windows Mobile this is less likely to happen due to less open source developing compared to Linux and the cost of getting a Windows Mobile SDK to build software. With this shift to Linux the only one left out is Microsoft which leaves more money with Palm and less of it being spent by Palm customers either on the hardware or on third party software.
  2. #82  
    There are actually many reasons, and the reasons are similar to why Linux on the desktop has not caught on yet.

    Surur
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    ...Seeing the direction Palm is heading it makes me question why they decided to get into bed with Microsoft with the release of the Treo 700w? While I see Linux as providing a better solution for Palm and it's customers, I really don't see the need for them to continue to use Windows Mobile in their products. There's no way Microsoft will be able to compete with the lower TCO with Palm using Linux compared to using Windows Mobile. After all developing and licensing costs are dramatically different. Also one has to consider when looking at consumers if asked "Do you want to legally get software for free?" they'll most likely say "yes". With Windows Mobile this is less likely to happen due to less open source developing compared to Linux and the cost of getting a Windows Mobile SDK to build software. With this shift to Linux the only one left out is Microsoft which leaves more money with Palm and less of it being spent by Palm customers either on the hardware or on third party software.
    Can you spell "Enterprise?" That's the market, and M$oft owns the space.

    And how about manufaturers. Let's see, WM5/WM2003 is on HTC, HP, Dell, Samsung, Motorola, O2, Symbol, Voq, oh, and of course, Palm.

    Palm OS is on....hmmm...Palm.

    Linux will not tip the world to Palm. Period.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Can you spell "Enterprise?" That's the market, and M$oft owns the space.

    And how about manufaturers. Let's see, WM5/WM2003 is on HTC, HP, Dell, Samsung, Motorola, O2, Symbol, Voq, oh, and of course, Palm.

    Palm OS is on....hmmm...Palm.

    Linux will not tip the world to Palm. Period.
    ...LG. Maybe. Someday?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  5. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...LG. Maybe. Someday?
    Doom, I've had three LG phones and they were all crap. Tell they were an anomaly.
  6. #86  
    Well, I've had three and they were all spinning gold, fairy enabled phones. So there.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  7. Postal's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Well, I've had three and they were all spinning gold, fairy enabled phones. So there.
    You and those damn fairies...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions