Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    This reminds me of the time as a child I offered to work for a penny the first day and have it doubled every day for a month. By the end of the month I would have been a gazzionaire (look out Bill gates).
    Best to do that in say August as you would have got $10,737,418.24 compared with only $1,342,177.28 in February
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Best to do that in say August as you would have got $10,737,418.24 compared with only $1,342,177.28 in February
    Check your math
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Check your math
    That's what Excel makes it, why what do you think the amount should be then
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    That's what Excel makes it, why what do you think the amount should be then
    2,684,354.55 (dollars, pounds or whatever) by the 28th (Feb), 21,474,836.47 by the 31st (Aug). You omitted to keep a running total.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    if you dont want to use excel...................

Its a sequence. and the sequence iS = (first term)*(1 - r^n)/(1-r)
    The first term is 1, r is ratio, 2. and n is the number of terms, 31

so (1-2^31)/(1-2) = 2,147,483,647 pennys

Which is $21,474,836.47
    But my guess is that your parents would have caught on by day 15 when they were giving you 32,768 penny = $327.68

It's sad that I'm doing this. I need a job! oh wait, I am at work.
    Last edited by hova; 04/13/2006 at 07:26 AM.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    You omitted to keep a running total.
    Yep I was working out what you got each day rather than the total for the month

I'll fetch my coat
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    if you dont want to use excel...................

Its a sequence. and the sequence iS = (first term)*(1 - r^n)/(1-r)
    The first term is 1, r is ratio, 2. and n is the number of terms, 31

so (1-2^31)/(1-2) = 2,147,483,647 pennys

Which is $21,474,836.47
    But my guess is that your parents would have caught on by day 15 when they were giving you 32,768 penny = $327.68

It's sad that I'm doing this. I need a job! oh wait, I am at work.
    That's a bunch a cypherin'.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Yeah, they never took me up on the offer. Guess they were smarter then I thought.
  9.    #69  
    More on da topic...

http://www.1src.com/headlines/show/001538.html

"First off, we have everything but the cocktail napkin that was used to outline Palmís Linux based operating system that Iíve started calling ďPalm OS IIĒ until the real name is announced. Yes, this new version of Palm OS will have nothing to do with the version of ALP that ACCESS/PalmSource is working on. I also expect that this new version of Palm OS will also be multitasking, have a real file system, be able to run the thousands of the existing Palm OS Garnet applications, and will have support for multiple wireless radios for use in future Treo smartphones. As both a fan of Palm and a Palm OS device enthusiast Iím really looking forward to this new version of the Palm OS. The majority of Palmís engineers are software engineers. They are also the company that pioneered the modern handheld market. This means that they are uniquely positioned to deliver an OS that is up to the task of powering the next generation of exciting mobile solutions.

We also know that Palm has been granted a patent for a screen that can be switch from color mode to black and white mode and back again. This ability to switch between modes has the potential to extend the already outstanding battery life in future devices from the levels we have today in devices like the Treo 650,....

....Palm has also received a patent for a folding display. Think of what you can do with a second display at your disposal. If youíve used two monitors on a desktop computer, you already know what Iím talking about. Think about having SnapperMail running in one display window and Blazer running in another display window. Or, think about being able to open an e-mail attachment and being able to view it in Documents To Go.....

....On a side note, micro projectors are being developed that will allow a handheld device like a Palm to have a built-in projector which is not unlike the table top LCD projectors that are used with laptops for presentations everyday. Iím particularly interested in this technology because two of the biggest complaints that Iíve head over the years about mobile computers is that the display is too small and so is that built-in keyboard. With projection displays and virtual keyboards, both of those arguments will become a thing of the past."
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    That would be very cool indeed
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    The electronic muscle sounds interesting, but note that the patent was filed in 2001. I'd love to see a real multi-tasking PalmOS, and Jeff Hawkins likes to have control over the software and hardware, so...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    [QUOTE=JackNaylorPE]I have early stages of Dupuytren's Disease which is the bulld up of tissues under the Palm of the hand extending up into the fingers.[QUOTE]

OT: If it's work-related (and not TreoCentral related) make sure you file a workers' comp claim within 2 years of first treatment/diagnosis.
  13.    #73  
    More here on the Palm Direction ...who they hirin' thing

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...crets-exposed/

Comments on Linux, over the air updates, server side stuff and other cool things.
    Jack - that was an eye opener. Do you think Palm is really capable of becoming an innovator again, rather than an incrementalist?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Jack - that was an eye opener. Do you think Palm is really capable of becoming an innovator again, rather than an incrementalist?
    The PalmPilot was the best in its class.
    The Treo 600 was the best in its class.
    They've shown they can innovate a few times a decade. They will do so again. Hopefully the next big thing is 2008, not 2015.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    They've shown they can innovate a few times a decade. They will do so again. Hopefully the next big thing is 2008, not 2015.
    That is a good analogy. I'd even say they slipped another one in there when the released the Palm VII - it was the true precursor for wireless radio computing despite being a flop in its own right. (Didn't you just love that lollipop stick antennae?)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

...the Treo 650 is best in class. At least in my world. Which is all that matters, FYI.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    The Treo 600 was created by HandSpring, not Palm...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy
    The Treo 600 was created by HandSpring, not Palm...
    So what does that matter? Didn't 3COM create Palm? EDIT --> I mean US Robotics...
    Also - Chodaboy...if you were a superhero I honestly believe your sidekick's name would be Vondaphone. I have no idea how that is relavent. But there it is.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    So what does that matter? Didn't 3COM create Palm? EDIT --> I mean US Robotics...
    Also - Chodaboy...if you were a superhero I honestly believe your sidekick's name would be Vondaphone. I have no idea how that is relavent. But there it is.
    Yeah, why can't we bring back the Audrey while we are diggin' up old names here.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast