Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Palm actually owns the right to the Palm name....they bought it from palmsource last year.
    My recollection is that waht they "bought" runs thru 2010.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    They (PalmOne, now Palm) worked their tailoff to get "Palm" name So they can use it as a hardware manufacture (that is why they released Windows mobile). To call Palm an OS is out of question. I may lean towards PalmLinux or something totally new. Hey any OS systen is called Y yet??? How about Treo900Y (with Palm new Linux based OSY, I hate apple they took my X).
    Hey if it was me I would call it the PalmNW OS.....Sell it as "new wave" or whatever the marketing boys come up with but everyone will simply call it "Not Windows"
    Palm builds hardware and writes software. Some staff leave Palm to form Handspring and make hardware. Palm buys Handspring and changes its name to PalmOne. PalmOne spins off its software writers who form PalmSource. PalmOne buys the name Palm fromPalmSource, who are bought by Access. Palm builds hardware and writes software.

Am I missing anything?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  4.    #24  
    Yeah ya missed some things:

Palm tries to buy back Palm Source
    Palm never relinquished the Palm name.....as understood it, they just extended the crosslicensing of the naming copyrights thru 2010.
    Palm also tried to buy some other players whose names escape me ATM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    Palm builds hardware and writes software. Some staff leave Palm to form Handspring and make hardware. Palm buys Handspring and changes its name to PalmOne. PalmOne spins off its software writers who form PalmSource. PalmOne buys the name Palm fromPalmSource, who are bought by Access. Palm builds hardware and writes software.

Am I missing anything?
    yep u got it. Now compare Palm's 10 years to Apple's 30. Palm's history got a perfect soap opera for everyone. Is that the 3rd market Palm will get into. Is that what Ed was talking about. Is Palm going to spin off OS dept again make it a separate company?? Man talk about some interesting year ahead of us
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Poor shadowmite want to run Linux on Treo650 while Palm already have Protortype of their Linux based OS which they are testing on Treos. Hmmm. Why the hell Palm always bring good stuff late when there are already alternatives. I hope this time they deliever faster than in past.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    So tomorrow is April 1st. What rumor are we expecting tomorrow???

Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    just got this in my email

You are being sent this email as a registered member of the PalmSource
    Developer Program.

As you may be aware, last November, PalmSource (NASDAQ: PSRC), provider
    of
    Palm OS®, a leading operating system powering next-generation phones
    and
    mobile devices, was acquired by ACCESS Co., Ltd., (Tokyo Stock
    Exchange:
    4813), a global provider of mobile content delivery and Internet access
    software. PalmSource is now a wholly owned subsidiary of ACCESS and is
    no
    longer a separate, publicly traded company.

ACCESS has a global workforce in excess of 1200 employees, is
    financially
    sound with a market capitalization of over $3.5 billion, and is best
    known
    for its NetFront® mobile browser that is commercially deployed on over
    million phones and consumer electronic devices, including the Palm®
    Treo™
    650. Going forward, ACCESS remains fully committed to supporting
    developers on the Palm OS Garnet platform, and the Developer Programs
    team
    will continue to provide developer support for Palm OS Garnet
    throughout
    its lifecycle. In addition, at the recent 3GSM wireless show in
    Barcelona,
    PalmSource announced its new, next-generation operating system--ACCESS
    Linux Platform (ALP). Some details on ALP:
    • The ACCESS Linux Platform is based on a standard kernel version
    (and above) and is designed to be kernel agnostic.
    • It includes major open source components like:
    o GTK+, an open source, multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical
    user
    interfaces
    o GStreamer, an open source, multi-threaded streaming media framework
    o SQLite, an open source small, high-performance SQL database engine
    • ALP will include GHost, a Palm OS Garnet emulator similar to PACE
    (Palm
    Application Compatibility Engine) that will allow a large number of
    existing Palm OS applications to “just run” with no modifications.

We will be rolling out more detailed technical and business information
    on
    the ALP platform to our developer community throughout 2006 (i.e.,
    availability of tools, SDK and documentation). To make sure you enjoy
    continued access to upcoming information on ALP, we are very interested
    in
    keeping your registration information current and up-to-date. To ensure
    that your record is accurate, please click here: (Verifying your info
    should only take 5 minutes.)

Developer Program Marketing Team
    PalmSource, an Access Company
    yep u got it. Now compare Palm's 10 years to Apple's 30. Palm's history got a perfect soap opera for everyone. Is that the 3rd market Palm will get into. Is that what Ed was talking about. Is Palm going to spin off OS dept again make it a separate company?? Man talk about some interesting year ahead of us
    At Apple its not the OS that gets passed around, its Steve Jobs

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    just got this in my email:
    <snip>
    Developer Program Marketing Team
    PalmSource, an Access Company
    They are probably getting riles by the PalmLinux rumors.

Surur
  11.    #31  
    So tomorrow is April 1st. What rumor are we expecting tomorrow???
    I believe this banana said this model would be out on that date.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...2&page=2&pp=33
    3131 posts!! And post #31 of this thread, as well. Way to wierd. Must be some special engineering implication in that number. The load factor of some special sort of steel, maybe?

Last edited by gtwo; 03/31/2006 at 08:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I believe this banana said this model would be out on that date.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...2&page=2&pp=33
    One of the classic posts.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    One of the classic posts.
    And a response at 9:31 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my.
  15.    #35  
    Geez Perry, I gotta do something to commerorate this. Somebody start a poll !

1. Announce...only 31 more shopping days till Perry gets his 700p. Send $$ to "Accessories for Perry" at www.theygonnaletthefreakinTreonutouttadaPPR.com

2. Go down the list of apps on my Treo in TrackerDog, pick the 31st one and send a demand letter regarding their infringment on my proprietary technology and demanding 26 million in license fees.

3. I gonna go download PalmaSutra and take a shot at Position 31 tonite !

Start the voting !
    I'm goin' with #3 and hope it only gets my (1) vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    They are probably getting riles by the PalmLinux rumors.

Surur
    Hey when you hear that your turf is being stolen by the company who u thought is your bread and butter. That will **** you off big time. Till anything comes out of PALM that deny these are just rumors; PalmSource is going to be in hell.
    Now I know why Palm was MIA when ACCESS/PalmSource released details for their new ALP OS

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    So, in your opinion, the "big" question isn't something like "Gee, I wonder if this will FINALLY deliver on the things we've wanted out of POS?" but rather, "Will it be called Palm OS?"
    Well, far be it from me not to answer your "big" question, so here you go. YES!!! Palm OWNS the rights to the Palm name! did you even read the thread before you posted that?
    We now see why he is NOT: DrFeelgood, DrCanIOfferAid, DrOohHoneyI'llMakeItBetter, DrOpenWideAndSayAaah DrI'llKissItAndMakeItBetter and finally DrLove (of course Bek will VIOLENTLY disagree with me)!
    "Cable Modem? DSL? click http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7346966394232063929 to understand quake "
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    3131 posts!! And post #31 of this thread, as well. Way to wierd. Must be some special engineering implication in that number. The load factor of some special sort of steel, maybe?

and wasn't it posted on 3/31?
    There was a new OS for Palm. It was called Cobalt (Palm OS 6) and Palm released it a few years back and no one ever implemented it on a device.

And now there's talk of ALF, I mean ALP, which is yet another hack at PDA Linux (didn't Sharp try this a few yeara back?).

Will it succeed? Who knows. But it's pretty sure we won't see a device until late 2007, assuming the current schedules are on target.

That's a long time....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast