Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From PDA24/7 today
    I went to PC World at lunch time today (lord knows why?) and spotted the boxed Treo 650 in the photo (taken with Treo hence quality). It was priced at £315 and had a tick in the 'end of line' box.

I eventually found someone and asked him why it was 'end of line'? He said that they would not be getting any more and that they are expecting new models soon. Here's how the rest of the conversation went as I remember it-

Me: "New models? You mean a Windows Mobile one?"

PC World guy: "Yes, and a new Palm one."

Me: "You what? Have you got a name for it?" Starting to dig for info now...

PC World guy: "No, I was just told that 2 new models would be out very soon."

Me: "Oh, OK. I'm not sure whether to buy this one or wait for the new one?"

PW World guy: "I have no more details yet- come back next week and we may have something."

Either he is on another planet or there is something substantial in the above conversation. I cannot believe that we will see 2 new Treo models in the UK soon but why would the 650 be classed as 'end of line'?

I checked the PC World web site and no mention of 'end of line'...

13:52 on 28/3/2006 by Shaun
    Picture of sign
    http://clieuk.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5811

We also learned that PALM will be launching two new products around March 06 codenamed “Hollywood” and “Lowrider”. According to the Morgan Stanley analyst in Asia (covers HTC) the estimate production output will be 200K devices/month.

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.
    From the Sagio report.

There's still a few days left over in March

Surur
    There's something even more interesting in the quoted thread - the mention of price. Data costs are truly outrageous over there (although T-Mobile is trying to break into a "all you can eat" mode), so carrier hardware discoutns are generally huge (compared to retail). However, the discoutns on the Treos are much less than other manufacturers.

Jump now to the US. TWO YEARS after initial release, a Treo 650 still costs $399 with contract, while my brand new model Cingular 8125 costs $299 after rebates with a second year extension of my existing one year contracts.

What's wrong with this picture? Maybe you are right after all Surur; Palm has mystique which keep sit going despite an inferior feature set.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Hi Surur!

Good news for the GSM folks.

Is that updated Sagio info? If it isn't -- their road map from last fall is slipping some:

700W launched near their date
    700P doesn't look like it will hit their March prediction

Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    Old Sagio info Perry, but its better info than Palm is giving us.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Old Sagio info Perry, but its better info than Palm is giving us.

Surur
    It's getting close....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    you can pick up a 650 in the UK now for around £50 on a one year contract...with reasonable monthly packages for calls and texts..however downloading data charges are still steep
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Isn't it odd that we still haven't seen any definitive photos yet? I mean, if they really are going to get a new line "soon", you'd think we would have seen something concrete in the way of photos by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst
    Isn't it odd that we still haven't seen any definitive photos yet? I mean, if they really are going to get a new line "soon", you'd think we would have seen something concrete in the way of photos by now.
    The photos of Merlyn_3D's beta don't count?
    Treo sighting thread no. 238 ! merge please
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The photos of Merlyn_3D's beta don't count?
    Well, not if we're talking about the "Hollywood". I also would think there would've been more "leaks" by now. I do appreciate Merlyn's willingness to face the Treo police for us. However, it's still not really definitive is it?

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to send you over the edge here, Perry. I do think something is coming (soon. I won't use the "J" word). I just think it's odd we haven't seen anything more "concrete".
    No need for and extra meds in the PPR --- May 28th on the Sprint 700P, but I have no information on the Hollywood.

After the Treo 650 being leaked 5 months ahead of release -- I think Palm has really tightened down the hatches.. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Jump now to the US. TWO YEARS after initial release, a Treo 650 still costs $399 with contract, while my brand new model Cingular 8125 costs $299 after rebates with a second year extension of my existing one year contracts.
    Going by this

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ad.php?t=61710

I only coming up with 1 year, 4.5 month

And, a vist to Amazon will show ya can buy 650's for:

Cingular - $85 ($155 w/ free $70 BT headset - $99MSRP)
    Sprint - $199
    Verizon - $99

What's wrong with this picture? Maybe you are right after all Surur; Palm has mystique which keep sit going despite an inferior feature set.
    Or maybe they just prefer the palm feature set. While the feature sets are certainly different meaning one excels in some areas while another excels in another, that doesn't make one overall superior. That judgement can only be made after considering how each person will use the device. What's superior a Whoopdedoo Motors Model 825x 4 door sedan with air conditioning or one with 4 WD. I think the dude living in Florida may have a different opinion on which is superior than the dude in Alaska.

I was at a hockey game the other night and I was taking pictures (of the ice girls, not the gameplay ) and e-mailing them to my oldest son at home (other two sons were with me). The woman in front of me was doing the same (tho not of the ice girls ) but she was wrestling a bit holding a beer in one hand and the Treo 700 in the other. She was on the 14th day of her 15 day trial and after playing with my 650 between periods, she said she was headed back to the store the next day.

OTOH, my brother who was sitting with me finds the 700w to his liking cause he ain't a gadget guy, they have exchange server and it's just easier for them and him to deal with things with exchange. He is never going to do a custom ROM, doesn't want to customize his device in any way so the 700w is the best choice for him. Superiority, like beauty, can be in the minds of the beholder .
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/28/2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Treo sighting thread no. 238 ! merge please
    Jack - up the dosage on the Prozac man. Spittin into the gail force wind of "I heard" threads is only going to get you another wet time out in Perry's PPR.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Jack - up the dosage on the Prozac man. Spittin into the gail force wind of "I heard" threads is only going to get you another wet time out in Perry's PPR.
    Can you get me a script ???? Using the serach tool to find one particular reference that you know you put in one of those 238 threads gets old real fast ..... By the time they let Perry out, I'll be all packed and ready to go in.
    so, there is a possibility that I can get an unlocked un branded gsm before the 700p?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't know, we saw leaked photos originally claimed to be the 670 that turned out to be the 700 body style a very long time ago (or so it seems). Yet absolutely nothing on lowrider or hollywood. I'm very much doubting that we will see these two (if they exist) until later this year. Except for the fake attempts (like the guy with the blue painted 650 with antenna removed) there hasn't been anything.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    so, there is a possibility that I can get an unlocked un branded gsm before the 700p?
    Bookmark this page

http://blog.treonauts.com/2005/11/treo_2006_produ.html

Well actually it's not the one I wanted but elsewhere you can find this timetable:

* January 2006: Treo 700w (WM 5.0, ED-VO) exclusively from Verizon
    * 2nd quarter 2006: Treo 700p (Palm OS) exclusively from Sprint
    * 3rd quarter 2006: "Hollywood" - a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone without external antenna to appeal to European customers; in US likely to be launched by Cingular
    * 4th quarter 2006: "Lowrider" - a sub-$300 device and entry-level PDA, compatible to previous-generation network radios
    the hollywood unit will be using palm os or ms os?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    My guess is WM5 for Hollywood for the faster GSM radio compatibility and PalmOS for a simple 'Lowrider' unit that is the economy model Treo.

Cheers, Perry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast