Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've made the difficult decision to sell my Treo 600 and go with a Motorola V360, mostly because I'm tired of the size of this phone. I don't carry a purse, and I don't like having a phone hanging from my belt, so I need something I can carry comfortably in a pocket.

I'm giving up a lot of cool apps by getting rid of my Treo, but if I get desperate I'll pick up a cheap PDA.

Do you think there's any chance that a future Treo will be a smaller, maybe clamshell-type device? I know the full QWERTY keyboard means it can't get TOO small, but lord knows it could get smaller than it is.

Tracey
    If you keep the keyboard I don't see how it could get smaller without sacrificing screen space. Do you really want to try and do PDA functions on a screen smaller than the Treo's?

Until they develop some kind of optical implant that doesn't need a screen i'd say we are pretty much stuck with Treo sized devices for our PDA's. Unless you want to severly gimp it in some way or skimp on a keyboard.
    And, when you "pick up a cheap PDA" you'll have 2 things to carry. one of which is about the same size of a Treo. If you want PDA functions and a full keyboard, then I can't see something significantly smaller than a Treo filling the bill...
    I think its very possible. I don't think the keyboard and screen are the limiting factors, necessarily. Look at the RAZR for example, it's width is slightly over 2" and the it utilizes less of the entire width for screen space, as a percentage of the whole, than the Treo does. The keyboard is, as I recall about 2.3". So, with a little reworking of the desging, the Treo could come in a clamshell device with a width of 2.25" and retain the 2" screen. It would be on the thicker side of all the clamshell phones since there still needs to be room for the expansion slot, and people would still complain about the tiny keys, but hey, you can't please everyone.
    I think the size is perfect, except for the antenna.

Any smaller and you have less battery, or miniSD instead of SD, no keyboard (or too small) or too small a screen, etc...

"newer" phones like the Moto Q are worse.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    The HTC Startrek WM smartphone has similar specs to the Treo 650 (except for the keyboard) but is about the size of the Razr. It shows what can be done, and the Palm Hollywood is supposed to be much sleeker as well.

Specifications:

* EDGE, GPRS, GSM Quadband
    * 320 by 240 QVGA, 2.2 inch
    * Bluetooth, Micro SD slot
    * 1.3 Megapixel Camera with Flash
    * 200 Mhz TI OMAP processor
    * 64 RAM, 64 or 128 ROM
    * 98.5 x 51.4 x 15.8 mm
    (Treo 650 112 x 58 x 23 mm)
    (Moto Razr 98 x 53 x 13.9 mm)

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/3...index.php?p=sf

Surur
    My idea of a better size would bigger to accomodate a 480x320 screen. Slimmer would be ok but I wonder could it be as thin as a razor and still have a touchscreen? if so fine, if not then size is less of a factor than function IMO.

opinions vary.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    The Moto Q is a good example of a size that would be very welcomed.
    Knowing Palm,no. They may make it thinner but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccartney66
    I've made the difficult decision to sell my Treo 600 and go with a Motorola V360, mostly because I'm tired of the size of this phone. I don't carry a purse, and I don't like having a phone hanging from my belt, so I need something I can carry comfortably in a pocket.

I'm giving up a lot of cool apps by getting rid of my Treo, but if I get desperate I'll pick up a cheap PDA.

Do you think there's any chance that a future Treo will be a smaller, maybe clamshell-type device? I know the full QWERTY keyboard means it can't get TOO small, but lord knows it could get smaller than it is.

Tracey
    It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean. Nevermind, wrong website.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  11.    #11  
    I just bought an unlocked Moto MPX220 from Ebay. It's a fairly small clamshell phone running Windows Mobile. We'll see how it works out.

Anyone want to buy a brand-new unlocked V360?
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    It's not the size of the wave, it's the motion of the ocean. Nevermind, wrong website.

That's what Insertion keeps telling me!!!!!

Seriously though, the Moto Q form factor with a touchscreen and ALP would be heaven for me!! I'd sell my soul.

What?

Fine. I'd "refinance" my soul for something like that.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I think the size is perfect, except for the antenna.

Any smaller and you have less battery, or miniSD instead of SD, no keyboard (or too small) or too small a screen, etc...

"newer" phones like the Moto Q are worse.

WHAT NONOBEEZ SAID !!!

(EDIT: Thinner, without sacraficing battery power or other features would be nice.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/26/2006 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    WHAT NONOBEEZ SAID !!!
    Because its Windows, or because there's no touchscreen? I ask because I can't see how the physical size is worse?

Oh, and good morning Perry.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    That's what Insertion keeps telling me!!!!!
    I have to keep telling you that. I get sick and tired of you grovelling to me everytime a poor female (and an occasional man) laughs at your..."boyhood."

It's for your own self esteem, my good friend.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccartney66
    And these two devices will fit in that shirt pocket ?

My Treo sits in its desk cradle, my shirt pocket, or my car cradle. It's as a classified a handheld so it fits just right in my hand. Any significant reduction in size would mean smaller keyboard, a direction I don't want to go. The only room for size reduction therefore would be the 3/8 inch between the screen and the handset speaker and in thickness.....changes I'd welcome though I trade some size of for a 480 x 480
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I think its very possible. I don't think the keyboard and screen are the limiting factors, necessarily. Look at the RAZR for example, it's width is slightly over 2" and the it utilizes less of the entire width for screen space, as a percentage of the whole, than the Treo does. The keyboard is, as I recall about 2.3". So, with a little reworking of the desging, the Treo could come in a clamshell device with a width of 2.25" and retain the 2" screen. It would be on the thicker side of all the clamshell phones since there still needs to be room for the expansion slot, and people would still complain about the tiny keys, but hey, you can't please everyone.
    Last I checked the RAZR had neither a full QWERTY keyboard, nor full pda capability, nor a touch screen. Gee, seems like a direct comparison to me.
    Come to think of it, not only does the RAZR not have a qwerty keyboard, it's got a keyboard that's almost impossible to use because of it's flat, recessed design. And the screen is significantly smaller and lower resolution. And folded, it's not nearly as thin as Moto's advertising would like you to believe.

If you want a phone, buy a phone. If you want a converged device with a keyboard, you've got to make some compromises. As others have said, thinner would be better, but I don't want the screen any smaller, and I don't want the keyboard any smaller or less functional.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Because its Windows, or because there's no touchscreen? I ask because I can't see how the physical size is worse?

it's wider and hard to operate one handed. reminds me of my Tungsten W... good form factor, but I carried it in my small franklin planner.

Good for business people...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.

It's too wide. Hard to get in and out of pants pocket. The QVGA screen should be verticle not horizontal. The lack of touch screen is icing on the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The HTC Startrek WM smartphone has similar specs to the Treo 650 (except for the keyboard) but is about the size of the Razr. It shows what can be done
    But at least one report says it has a 750 mAh battery. Link

We don't want no 750 mAh battery!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast