Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "During a conference call yesterday, Ed Colligan, Palm's president and chief executive officer confirmed that his company still expects to release three new smartphones before the of this year.

He did not gave many details on these, but did say they will be a mix of both Windows Mobile and Palm OS devices.

In talking about these new Treos, Mr. Colligan said, "When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating systems, new hardware designs, new radio technologies, or other significant advancements.....

....Unofficial Info

According to rumor, the new Treo models will include one with a very thin design and no external antenna.

Palm will also supposedly announce its first mid-range smartphone. This model is expected to cost about $200.

A device with support for high-speed UMTS wireless networks is also reportedly on the docket. "

http://brighthand.com/article/Palm-s...s_for_2006_III

And that total doesn't apparently include the new "mystery device"

http://brighthand.com/article/Hawkin...Business_Again
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/24/2006 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added mystery device link
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    "During a conference call yesterday, Ed Colligan, Palm's president and chief executive officer confirmed that his company still expects to release three new smartphones before the of this year.

He did not gave many details on these, but did say they will be a mix of both Windows Mobile and Palm OS devices.

In talking about these new Treos, Mr. Colligan said, "When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating systems, new hardware designs, new radio technologies, or other significant advancements.....

....Unofficial Info

According to rumor, the new Treo models will include one with a very thin design and no external antenna.

Palm will also supposedly announce its first mid-range smartphone. This model is expected to cost about $200.

A device with support for high-speed UMTS wireless networks is also reportedly on the docket. "

http://brighthand.com/article/Palm-s...s_for_2006_III

Mid-range? What the hell is the low-range then?

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Low range = Free, with a 2 year sign up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Low range = Free, with a 2 year sign up.
    What PDA phone is free with 2-yr sign-up?

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Ed Colligan: "When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement."

Based on this, the 700w and the rumored 700p are separate products - the first and second of the four new Treos to be introduced in 2006. Fine.

Ed Colligan: "In delivering our three additional smartphones this calendar year, you’ll see us continue to deliver on our open-platform strategy offering customers a choice of operating system – Palm OS and Windows Mobile -- as well as choices among radio technologies and industry-leading email applications. This strategy expands our addressable market to embrace more users at a wider range of price points."
    http://library.corporate-ir.net/libr...all_Script.pdf

This statement about continuing the open-platform strategy seems to contradict previous rumors that Hollywood would be Windows only. That is, every new Treo will be available in both Palm and Windows. (A Windows-only platform wouldn't be an open platform as defined.) So maybe the Palm and Windows versions of the next device (after the 700p) will be the third and fourth new Treos of 2006?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    who wrote this article?
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Ed Colligan: "When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement."

Based on this, the 700w and the rumored 700p are separate products - the first and second of the four new Treos to be introduced in 2006. Fine.
    I don't think you can say that is the only way to read that particular statement.

What I mean is he does not say "When I say new smartphones, I am referring to either an operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement."

But instead he says a "new smartphone will contain a combination of operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement."

Now does he mean each model will at least have a combination of 2,3 or all 4 of those things ? Let's go conservative and say that "combination" means at least 2.

700w has WM5 / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement
    700p has POS / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement

So, to my mind, looking at that sentence alone, the 700p and 700w very well could be considered the same smartphone as they don't differ by a combination of anything. Now we ould get picky and say that it's different hardware cause of the screen or other minor differences but it had me starting to wonder if they don't have something else up their sleeves.
    Now on the othr hand, on the conference call he refered to the Treo 700w as the first of the 4 Treos and then goes onto say that three additional smartphone they were going to deliver this year. So here he seems to be contradicting the previous sentence leaving me feeling no wiser than I was before.

...but let's not forget the as yet unnamed "mystery device".
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/24/2006 at 11:54 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    who wrote this article?
    Which article ? The url's in the 1st post take you to the original articles:

Palm Still Planning Three New Treos This Year
    By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
    Mar 24, 2006

Palm Exec Refers Again to a Mysterious Third Product Category
    By Ed Hardy | Editor-in-Chief
    Mar 24, 2006

The url samkin posted was not an article but identifies itself as a text copy of a recorded public conference call hosted by Palm's CEO / Prez (Ed Colligan) and CFO (Andy Brown) where they announced 3rd quarter fiscal year earnings.
    Colligan's other statement left some room for interpretation, but this one seemed categorical to me...

"WM5 / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement" is one combination.

"POS / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement" is another combination.

As for the third business, it might not even be a device.

If it is, I expect it to enable wireless authentication (PC/web login, car keys, garage door opener, building access, ATM access, etc.), commerce (wireless payments, person-to-person payments), and control (thermostat, TiVo, alarm system, etc.) I shouldn't have to carry around keys or remember passwords when I have a phone in my pocket. I shouldn't even need a wallet!
    The conference call "script" was linked from Palm's own website, so I take it as pretty official.
    We know that the 700P is Palm OS; and from the leaked pictures of lowrider we know the lowrider is Palm based also. So if Palm is planning on delivering a Windows Mobile device amongst the next three releases this year, this necessarily means that the Hollywood model is based on Windows Mobile.

Although on this forum the Hollywood model was touted as the device you will want to upgrade to, I gather it will not be the upgrade path for the current Treo 600 and 650 owners. The Hollywood will most likely be an unusual multimedia phone with large built-in memory to hold music, video and data and may include the ability to play purchased music protected by Microsoft's DRM. Hollywood may thus be a partnering between Microsoft and Palm to create and “Ipod phone” but MS style.
    Last edited by u_m_rasmussen; 03/25/2006 at 07:40 AM.
    This is like parsing Greenspan's utterances.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    What PDA phone is free with 2-yr sign-up?
    So wouldn't that be a coup for Palm?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen
    from the leaked pictures of lowrider we this one is also Palm based
    We don't know anything yet about Lowrider. All we have are pictures of a Treo 650-lookalike with no visible antenna and blue paint--not enough to confirm anything yet. Possible, yes. Far from rock-solid, though.

And while there are plenty of rumors that Hollywood will be WinMob and plenty of reasons to make that case, if so there will be a lot of disappointed Palm OS users, especially in the US. (They'll also be disappointed if it's only released/has UMTS in Europe.) People who were looking for an upgrade à la Palm III to V. I realize that Palm may be looking at a bigger market; I hope, though, that they don't ignore the existing one.
    I also think the "Hollywood" is going to be wm only. Just a hunch.

However I want to know if the word "thin" is in the transcript. That signify a pretty big design change form the 700p/w.
    Hollywood + Europe = WM5

Look at almost all of the smartphone devices hitting Europe (and the East as well) - HTC and Samsung are leading the charge with WM5 devices, with Motorola closely in tow. The rest is all Symbian (surprise). Palm has already made a lame attempt with the Treo 600/650, and it flopped.

Style+function is critical to the Euro market. So if Hollywood has a chance, it better be thinner, narrower, lighter and sans antennae. Sounds like the Hollywood rumors we've been hearing for months. Too bad that by the time they push that puppy out the door, the new ultra-sleek Samsung and MotoQ will already be in the pipeline, and HTC's FOURTH generation WM devices will be headed for the sales racks.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17.    #17  
    Colligan's other statement left some room for interpretation, but this one seemed categorical to me...

"WM5 / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement" is one combination.

"POS / 700 hardware / EVDO radio / no real other advancement" is another combination.
    In the context used tho, a new devcie must have a combination of different features, and a literal interpetaion , to my mind anyway, would indicate that 2 thinsg must change to be a new model, not just changinmg one item to make a new combo. But again, that wording is contradicted apparently in next sentence. In any case, it would appear Ed has a future in politics.
  18.    #18  
    The conference call "script" was linked from Palm's own website, so I take it as pretty official.
    Has someone in the press or elsewhere suggested otherwise ?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Too bad that by the time they push that puppy out the door, the new ultra-sleek Samsung and MotoQ will already be in the pipeline, and HTC's FOURTH generation WM devices will be headed for the sales racks.
    The only one of the bunch that caught my attention at all was Hermes and who knows when these will be delivered. Third quarter is only 3 months away and I don't see anyone mounting an complete coup is this market segment. If palm makes even a ripple in Europe it's more share than they have now. Best of all, they could totally bomb and sell the same phone here without hurting themselves. If they can go from 22% of the US market to 30% in just one year on Treo sales of the 650/700 a reduced form factor should have a huge effect on sales. The thing palm has to watch out for tho is 480 x480 or 640 x 480 LCD's reaching the price point where they can be thrown in WM5 devcies.
    Palm went from 22 to 30% Year on Year, but went from 36 to 30% Quarter on Quarter, probably due to the introduction of the various MS smartphones and PDA phones, such as the PPC 6700, MDA, SDA, HTC 8125 etc etc. Also the particular Canalys data has not been published, so we do not really know what they are comparing it to.

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast