Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No, because it will be competing against the Hollywood and the Lowrider. I believe all their phones will be qwerty phones, so will have similar functionality. It does not make sense to have 2 UMTS Palm smartphones.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    No, because it will be competing against the Hollywood and the Lowrider. I believe all their phones will be qwerty phones, so will have similar functionality. It does not make sense to have 2 UMTS Palm smartphones.

Surur
    Lowrider, according to Sagio report, will use existing radio technology...

and there is UMTS and HSPDA, they are different... Cingular had HSPDA.

HSPDA is also known as W-CDMA... I think.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Cingular could get 700w with HSPDA and Hollywood could get UMTS for europe. I would guess Lowrider would be... I don't know, but probably WM or PPC based.

Maybe CDMA a la 650...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    HSPDA is a higher speed varient of UMTS. There is no point in having a UMTS Hollywood and a HSPDA Treo 700p. The Hollywood itself should be UMTS AND HSPDA. This is what I meant.

In GSM-land there will be two phones. A UMTS/HSPDA Hollywood, and a GPRS only Lowrider, with vastly different price points.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    So wouldn't that be a coup for Palm?

I would certainly say it would be. Palm might really be doing themselves a HUGE favor by offering a cheap PDA phone (as long as they don't make it completely lack in overall general functionality). There are many people out there who will want the lately and greatest phone only because it is just that. People like features, but they don't want to pay for them. They might reach a whole new group of people that they have never reached before.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    HSDPA, not HSPDA. (Yes, it's a very stupid name. I hate it more than "PCMCIA")
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    HSDPA, not HSPDA. (Yes, it's a very stupid name. I hate it more than "PCMCIA")
    "He Speaks in Damned Phone Acronymns".
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Lowrider, according to Sagio report, will use existing radio technology...

and there is UMTS and HSPDA, they are different... Cingular had HSPDA.

HSPDA is also known as W-CDMA... I think.
    Think about how stupid the statement of "will use existing radio technology" is. How can they possibly us a non-existent radio technology??? Come on now people give me a break. Is this a company you want to be putting your faith in to have the real scoop as to what is going on versus Sprint or VZW which control the revnue side of Palm by sellig the phones. This Sagio report is plain fluff. And additionally they claim the report was put together before they owned any Palm shares so in fact they had no insider or investor information. If that was the case these forums could have been a part of their development of the report as well. This thing smells.
    HSPDA is a higher speed varient of UMTS.

In GSM-land there will be two phones. A UMTS/HSPDA Hollywood, and a GPRS only Lowrider, with vastly different price points.

Surur
    Surur you have this as a fact from who? If you are going to make bold claims like that please give the source, release dates and price points you know of.
    I have only the same info as everyone else, but the way I put it together makes common sense (to me at least).

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    I would certainly say it would be. Palm might really be doing themselves a HUGE favor by offering a cheap PDA phone (as long as they don't make it completely lack in overall general functionality). There are many people out there who will want the lately and greatest phone only because it is just that. People like features, but they don't want to pay for them. They might reach a whole new group of people that they have never reached before.
    I think, and this has been discussed ad nauseum, that this would absolutely be the smartest move on Palm's part! Of course, that being said, the fact that it is a "smart move" may be exactly why we never see them do it!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I bet you can source out the part for UMTS radio alot cheaper than the part HSDPA radio, seeing there are tons of UMTS phones in Europe and Asia now. Plus you also need a front video camera for UMTS phones, which will be useless for Cingular customers.
    The HTC Hermes will be UMTS/HSDPA. The cingular PCMCIA card will be UMTS/HSDPA. It would be stupid to make a new device now thats not "HSDPA-ready" currently.

Surur
    a burning question is whether Hollywood, our hopeful slim GSM/UMTS WM '05 device, will it have UMTS 850/1900 or just 2100..since it was supposed to be a European focus device.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I have only the same info as everyone else, but the way I put it together makes common sense (to me at least).

Surur
    One should never assume...
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Don't forget that Sprint did spend alot of money on the Nextel Network and I do beleave that they do plan on a Push to Talk Treo on the iDen Netowrk ....
    with Nextel being used by local police and fire what a great feature to have is a treo with the blackberry connect, push to talk, high speed internet, bluetooth and of course, plam or windows OS...
    Just a thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    Don't forget that Sprint did spend alot of money on the Nextel Network and I do beleave that they do plan on a Push to Talk Treo on the iDen Netowrk ....
    with Nextel being used by local police and fire what a great feature to have is a treo with the blackberry connect, push to talk, high speed internet, bluetooth and of course, plam or windows OS...
    Just a thought...
    Sprint aquired Nextel's partners not too long ago also which gives them more pipes. This gives sprint more pull...IDEN will be in the process of being ousted in the next 3 to 5 years, and crappy ready link, if not improved, will be all we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    So, to my mind, looking at that sentence alone, the 700p and 700w very well could be considered the same smartphone as they don't differ by a combination of anything

Ummm...no...

Palm has a history or distinguishing between cmda vs gms Treos and they have always given different code names for each. Recall "Batman" and "Robin" codenames etc...

The 700w and 700p may have very similar inards (except for screenie) but Palm most certainly has very separate developmental teams for each to foucs on specific carrier customizations in addtion to OS differences. IMO, the only real mystery is to whether the the rumored 700p is the Lowrdier to not according to earlier statements made by Shadowmite etc.

Thus the breakdown would be this:

700w - already released WM CDMA (never will be GSM version of 700w)
    700p - FrankenGarnet, similar to 700w specs (could be lowrider)
    Hollywood - WM, UMTS, no antenna, thinner

Loweider??! Supposedly lower end Treo with $200 price point unsubsidized. Unkwown whether it will be gsm/cdma or both. Most likely will NOT be 3G supported.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Palm has a history or distinguishing between cmda vs gms Treos and they have always given different code names for each. Recall "Batman" and "Robin" codenames etc...

Not always...the ACE was the 650 generally speaking...not GSM or CDMA in particular if I'm not mistaken.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123