Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Guys I'm new to this but I have been following you guys on the new sprint 700, now I talked with a sprint rep this morning and she supposively was reading right off the training sheet she was given, the new Treo is called a 700W and it is ev-do and wifi 128mbs and supposively I will be able to get it on-line only the beginning of April this is what I was told don't know if true but just thought I would let you all know what I was told this morning.
    I hope the new Sprint treo is not windows.
  3.    #3  
    I wonder sometimes if anyone at sprint knows what there talking about. I'm new to the whole Treo thing, but I've been in my own business now for almost 2 years and I have discovered I really need to get these Treo's help me out what is really the big difference between os and windows please inform a newbie
    If you have been using Palm Devices over the years, you are gonna want a 650 or 700p when it comes out. If you need MS Windows Exchange server capabilities, then the 700w may have soem advantages.

Just about every trade mag calls the 700w the best Windows Mobile devcie out there but a step backward in terms if useability. If you are a sprint customer and want to stay, the 700p is expected to be out in 45-90 days. If you are open to any carrier, you will get better deals by switching carriers. See the "650 deals" thread in the 650 hardware section for some real bargains. For example, you can get a 650 on Cingular with a $100 MSRP BT headset for $155....after a year tho the sprint will cost you about $15 less assuming you get unlimited data plan.

Many peeps are experiencing real frustration with the Windows actyivesync program. I am also finding out ther eis no way to do things on the 700w like wipe your private info from a lost devcie or turn phone on and off at certain times. For me, those are "deal killers". But another peep might not care about that and instead be concerend about stuff the 700w does well.
    i think im supposively going to switch to sprint as soon as verizon pays for my 700 tweety
  6.    #6  
    I have never even used a pda thats how new I am to this, I'm not a Sprint customer but I am a business nextel customer and I'm under contract with them but according to them I can switch a couple of my phones to sprint without payment penalty, so thats what I'm probably going to do, I've been totally advised not to even think about the Blackberry that the new treo was the way to go. Now supposively the sprint rep I talked to this morning told me that the new treo was a 700w and that it had ev-do wifi 128mbs and was 320x 320 and some other things I really did'nt understand but she also told me I will be able to order on-line only the beginning of April but you know rumors will see
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetyteam
    I have never even used a pda thats how new I am to this, I'm not a Sprint customer but I am a business nextel customer and I'm under contract with them but according to them I can switch a couple of my phones to sprint without payment penalty, so thats what I'm probably going to do, I've been totally advised not to even think about the Blackberry that the new treo was the way to go. Now supposively the sprint rep I talked to this morning told me that the new treo was a 700w and that it had ev-do wifi 128mbs and was 320x 320 and some other things I really did'nt understand but she also told me I will be able to order on-line only the beginning of April but you know rumors will see
    It won't have 320 squared if it's the W.

You keep saying you need one, but you don't say why. That might help us out. FWIW, I'm not a drooling fanboy of either one, I've used (and still use) both OS's, so I won't tell you what to get just because my ***** swells up over one or the other.

So what are your needs?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    This is was the rep told me but by following you guys I wonder if anyone at sprint has a clue. As for my need I run a cable/ high speed internet business and my wife is in real estate and also runs her own business we both need e-mail recieving and sending we also need to be able to send large files we need to keep appointments from what I understand if true my wife can enter homes she is showing with this pda without having a key or code, we both need to be able to input work we can later just load on the laptop or computer this is just a few things

You've never used a PDA and you're planning to jump right into a more advanced PDA? I would suggest downloading a user manual or something and reading them so you can better understand before you buy. If you buy one of these before you completely understand it, you might not make the best informed decision and might even get taken advantage of. Never trust was a representative says. Always do your own research.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I don't see newness being an issue. Learning to use a PDA, even the treo, is not that difficult. I'd encourage you to jump in and have fun. The real question is whether you need all the features the treo offers.
  11.    #11  
    I figure for what I'd pay for any pda I might as well get the newest one besides I have to buy min 3 for my company GREAT tax write off you know. By the way what do you mean by using all the features enlighten me please remember I can use all the help I can get
    I figure for what I'd pay for any pda I might as well get the newest one besides I have to buy min 3 for my company GREAT tax write off you know. By the way what do you mean by using all the features enlighten me please remember I can use all the help I can get
    I would start here: http://www.palm.com/us/products/compare/ to see the BASIC differences and then google "700w review" and "650 review" to see the dif between the two. I think comparing the 650 with the 700w is a good start. If/when we get a 700p, the consensus here seems to suggest that 700p = 650 + EVDO + more memory + better handling of memory.

Hope that helps. I'm still basically a noob as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    I would start here: http://www.palm.com/us/products/compare/ to see the BASIC differences and then google "700w review" and "650 review" to see the dif between the two. I think comparing the 650 with the 700w is a good start. If/when we get a 700p, the consensus here seems to suggest that 700p = 650 + EVDO + more memory + better handling of memory.

Hope that helps. I'm still basically a noob as well.
    Listen, it is much simpler than this. One of the phones is 3G, and one of the phones is not. It's not just a feature, it changes the capabilities of the phone and the way you can use it. If you are interested in using skype for free or 2 cent phone calls, listening to satellite radio, keeping your latptop always braodband connected, streaming music, audio or video to your treo, there is no need to do any research, you want the 700w. If palm ever makes a 3g phone running Palm OS that will be the time to research.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Listen, it is much simpler than this. One of the phones is 3G, and one of the phones is not. It's not just a feature, it changes the capabilities of the phone and the way you can use it. If you are interested in using skype for free or 2 cent phone calls, listening to satellite radio, keeping your latptop always braodband connected, streaming music, audio or video to your treo, there is no need to do any research, you want the 700w. If palm ever makes a 3g phone running Palm OS that will be the time to research.
    I would agree with that, BUT....

The OP didn't say he wanted any of those things. If all they want is email, PIM, and basic MS Office docs, either works now. He did mention file transfer, and since the 700w is EVDO, that would be an advantage.

I'm not sure what this real estate code program is he mentions though...
    Last edited by Insertion; 03/22/2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: cuz i dunt speel too goed

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm not sure what this real estate code program is he mentions though...
    The 650 was originally touted as being able to (through BT, SMS or infrared?) open lockboxes that had the keys to the house for real estate agents to show it. I used to be a RE Agent but never used my 650 for that and never heard ANY news about the capability since.
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    The 650 was originally touted as being able to (through BT, SMS or infrared?) open lockboxes that had the keys to the house for real estate agents to show it. I used to be a RE Agent but never used my 650 for that and never heard ANY news about the capability since.
    Got it. That's interesting. Thanx for clearing that up, Cardinal!

As far as Palm OS vs. WinMobile 5.0:

You say this will be your first pda. WM5 is brand new and still experiencing some growing pains and rough edges. If you're comfortable editing the registry on your desktop, this won't pose a problem as most of the annoyances & deficiencies can be corrected with registry hacks. The newest version of Activesync (WM5's desktop syncing software) is flaky, only works sometimes and requires a great deal of troubleshooting on a regular basis. If your company has an exchange server, or you're willing to use a hosted exchange server (about $4/mo) then AS won't be much of a problem, as WM5 works very well with exchange. You must evaluate the options for yourself.

In contrast, I've found the Palm hotsync to be very reliable and have only had to troubleshoot a few times in several years. Palm OS is considered by many to be easier for a new user as well.

You said that you have a nextel contract and would likely be going with Sprint for your new phones/service. If you're interested in a WM5 device, I'd take a long look at the PPC6700 instead of the Treo 700w. The 6700 is a technically superior product and bests the 700 in most specs, most notably a much larger 320x240 screen as opposed to the tiny 240x240 on the 700w. It also has more memory and a much larger keyboard. The advantages of the 700 being palm's OS tweaks (most in the today screen) and form factor, which is pretty subjective. Try http://www.ppc6700users.com for first-hand info on the 6700. You can also ask Brickjr, a forum member here that switched from the 650 to 6700 and now is back here with a 650. He has first-hand experience with both devices and can better compare them
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    This is was the rep told me but by following you guys I wonder if anyone at sprint has a clue. As for my need I run a cable/ high speed internet business and my wife is in real estate and also runs her own business we both need e-mail recieving and sending we also need to be able to send large files we need to keep appointments from what I understand if true my wife can enter homes she is showing with this pda without having a key or code, we both need to be able to input work we can later just load on the laptop or computer this is just a few things
    Each has its advantages and disadvanatges. What one will work best for you depends on how you use the device.

650 has great 320 x 320 screen (700 is 240 x 240), superior one handed usability, and a large list of real estate specific programs:

http://solutions.palm.com/regac/succ...sp?storyId=673
    http://solutions.palm.com/regac/succ...sp?storyId=211

http://www.palm.com/us/enterprise/so...resoftware.epl
    http://www.infinitysw.com/solutions/realestate.html
    https://store.agileagent.com/agility...AgileAgent.jsp

Mobileagent now works on the 700 and others may also at this point....didn't check all.

While Cingular "technically" offers 3G service via EDGE most people jokingly refer to it as 2.5G since it is far slower than EVDO. OTOH, EVDO still hasn't reached many areas so check your carrier's coverage maps to see if this will be useful to you. Unless you are willing to wait 45-90 days, Verizon's 700w remains your only source of EVDO. Cingular's competing UTMS / HSDA 3.6 service, while twice as fast as EVDO was only in 51 metro areas as of early March. Verizon had 50-60 when they launched the 700w and Cingular isn't expected to catch up, at the current rate of 12-15 sites / month, till 3rd quarter of this year. Sprint's progress is somewhere between the two but neither Sprint or Verizon are providing EVDO in most of my county (1.7 million peeps). You can check coverage here:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5q3MmC...rage-maps.html

The 700p does exist, a member of TC here has used a prototype which Palm "repossesed", pretty good photos have been published on 1src and Palm has promised a mid year release so you may want to wait and see what happens in late May - early June. Again until a formal announcement, one can never be 100% sure, but the leaked palm financial report laid out a release schedule which seems to be holding. faling to meet stock expectations can be financialy crippling so I imagine Palm is doing everything they can to adhere to that schedule. Unlike many otehr companies, palm doesn't make release announcements till immediately before launch, my assumption being it is too damaging to current product sales.

If you use MS Exchange Server, there are advantages to using the 700w with regard to office synching. ActiveSync OTOH has been very problematic based upon what people are posting. Some features that 650 users take for granted are not possible on the 700w w/ WM5. For example, to my knowledge, you can't wipe your personal data off a lost phone via an SMS message (w/o Exchange Server). And you can't automatically turn the phone radio on and off at certain times of day to conserve battery life. I get a week between charges and consider that feature to be very important. Then again there's things that WM5 can do that the Palm OS can't so, while "dealbreakers for me", your priorities may make you lean another way.

Here's some commentary which might help you decide:

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thre..._blog_techbeat
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1758725,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1815640,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1911100,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770499,00.asp
    http://palmtops.about.com/b/a/2006_01_06.htm
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20060105.html
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    You've never used a PDA and you're planning to jump right into a more advanced PDA? I would suggest downloading a user manual or something and reading them so you can better understand before you buy. If you buy one of these before you completely understand it, you might not make the best informed decision and might even get taken advantage of. Never trust was a representative says. Always do your own research.
    I agree to an extent. You should do your homework before undertaking a sales rep, but as far as a first PDA...dive right in...hack, hack, hack away, which helps you learn the best. If you have any geek in ya...you'l hack and master everything your curious of learning even if you don't utilize it. People just treat these things like their rocket science and they feel so proud because they can navigate a pda and call themselves power users...WTF. Enjoy the thing and use it to aid in your profesion or personal life and leave it as that and don't let certain things swell if you become a "POWER USER"
    K....everytime one of your posts scroll by I sit back about 8-9" in my chair....like I wearing 3D glasses and don't wanna get eye poked out
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast