Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    K....everytime one of your posts scroll by I sit back about 8-9" in my chair....like I wearing 3D glasses and don't wanna get eye poked out
    Baby got back.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I agree to an extent. You should do your homework before undertaking a sales rep, but as far as a first PDA...dive right in...hack, hack, hack away, which helps you learn the best. If you have any geek in ya...you'l hack and master everything your curious of learning even if you don't utilize it. People just treat these things like their rocket science and they feel so proud because they can navigate a pda and call themselves power users...WTF. Enjoy the thing and use it to aid in your profesion or personal life and leave it as that and don't let certain things swell if you become a "POWER USER"

Was that a jab?

Anyways, I didn't meant that a person couldn't learn quickly. I meant that they should research before they buy anything and be prepared. A PDA is an easy device for the tech savvy, but can be an intimidating thing for those who are not.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I for one am skeptical that the first release on Sprint would be the W. They are pretty entrenched with Handspring/Palm people and although Palm is now working with Microsoft, they have done so only to expand their base and capture more of the market. Hopefully Palm and Windows can continue to coexist. I wonder if in 2-3 years, Palm decides to drop the Palm format and exclusively go forward with Win Mobile. I don't know why that strategy would exist but, it must be expensive in time and personnel to continue to lead the markets in two operating systems. My guess is the 700P is the first Sprint intro followed up by the 700W 3 months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by robkz
    ...I wonder if in 2-3 years, Palm decides to drop the Palm format and exclusively go forward with Win Mobile.
    Reports of Palm's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Many people have predicted the death of POS for years, all have been wrong.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    K....everytime one of your posts scroll by I sit back about 8-9" in my chair....like I wearing 3D glasses and don't wanna get eye poked out

Hmm, interesting. I go just the opposite route. I move closer to the screen.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Reports of Palm's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Many people have predicted the death of POS for years, all have been wrong.
    Before now, they kept updating the OS, not anymore. So if they don't soon, I do believe Palm OS is dying. Except for it's "fans", as you've said in another thread. But if WM keeps moving ahead and Palm OS stays the same(it's time for 6.0!), the writing is on the wall.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Ladytreo is obviously right. If the palm os is not updated soon, it will be left behind and then the market will consider it phased out. CLearly, one must update the os in order to continue the os in the future so be assured if palm is interested in the platform they created, they will update it. My guess is there are significant tweaks coming to the palm os on the new 700P when it hits. I can't imagine they could run with the os that is out now as it is has been in market for 1.5yrs!
    I just got done using my brand new hammer. It is a replacement for a hammer I had lost which was my favorite for over 10 years. As is the case, as soon as I bought a new hammer I found the old one. Placing the side by side you really don't se much difference....the fiberglass shafts are different colors and the grip is shaped slighly differently but they both pretty much do what I want to do with them and that is bang nails. It can't do what I can do with my air nailer but most of the time, before I can get my air nailer out and assembled the 3 nailes I needed to bang in are done.

OK so I am making a somewhat fecetious comparision but I think the point is worth making. What is it exactly that we want this new OS to do that the current one can't do ? Of couse we want faster web and more screen reolution and more memory but these are hardware additions and more on the side of "evolutions" on the OS side. Of course multitasking is going to come up but frankly I can't do that many things at once, I can already put peeps on hold and run programs and then come back and answer their question. Simultaneous data and phone use isn't going to be a problem. So is there really that large a list of things we need to do (and not counting "cause I can" answers) or is it just that we are getting bored and need to be "wowed" again. If XP can server us for 6 years (even tho many corps still buying Win2k) what's driving teh call for a new OS ?
    Audio and video applications on par with WM5? Streaming, et cetera?

Otherwise -- right with you Jack. The 650 does what I want it to do, and the 700P will do it faster and better.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

I'm not sure what this real estate code program is he mentions though...
    He is referring to a method for openning lockboxes. Lockboxes hold the keys for homes that are for sale. You'll usually see them hanging from the front door knob. In some areas, Realtors can use their PDA's IR to transmit a code that will unlock certain electronic lockboxes. This should work with any of the current Treos.
    So is there really that large a list of things we need to do (and not counting "cause I can" answers) or is it just that we are getting bored and need to be "wowed" again. If XP can server us for 6 years (even tho many corps still buying Win2k) what's driving teh call for a new OS ?
    There are many reasons why POS is out of date. Firstly, the OS is technologically primitive. Its not just multi-tasking, but memory protection and management which is lacking. ANY app can crash the whole OS, which makes the OS very fragile.

POS does not have native scalable fonts, or a proper plug-in architecture for e.g hard writing recognition. They lack API's available on other platforms, such as DirectX. It does not have native support for push email, signed applications (tapwave yes I know) or DRM (Pocket tunes I know, but thats an add-in).

Compared to the blackberry its less easy to provision and less secure. Compared to Symbian it has poorer implementations of consumer functions such as bluetooth, ring tones etc.

POS has poor industry buy-in and support, and compared to Linux has poorer mind share and less driver support. This limits third party accessory support.

I could go on, but POS is far from industry standard currently. Palm did not go WM, and PSRC Linux for no reason.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetyteam
    This is was the rep told me but by following you guys I wonder if anyone at sprint has a clue. As for my need I run a cable/ high speed internet business and my wife is in real estate and also runs her own business we both need e-mail recieving and sending we also need to be able to send large files we need to keep appointments from what I understand if true my wife can enter homes she is showing with this pda without having a key or code, we both need to be able to input work we can later just load on the laptop or computer this is just a few things
    Punctuation is a good thing. Don't be shy. Throw it in anywhere!

Yes, the Treo 650 can do lockboxes. I use mine for real estate full time. I had used a Treo 600 since it came out and the 650 from when it came out till this past November. Then I had tried the PPC 6700 for 5 months. The EVDO and Wifi were cool, but I found that they were just "extras" that my daily (heavy)usage didn't require. My Treo 650's internet speed is fast enough in my market (Philly Metro). The BIG reason for my switch back to the Treo 650 is USABILITY! The 6700, while having some "superior" extras was just not that easy to use. The 650 is a dream in comparison.

Tell your wife to check out www.pocketwireless.com for wireless access to the MLS from her Treo. Also, Top Producer 7i is great contact management for PC and Treo 650 and can be found at www.topproducer.com . Docs to Go would be great for both of you( www.dataviz.com) . She could also use Splashblog for free instant website for listings or for setting up previews of homes for buyers. The free Splashblog account gives you 1000 pics to post.

Bottom line....Having tried both 650 and 6700 at length...the 650 comes up a big, big winner.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    There's a lot of "tools" you mention in there but again, how is this going to chnage my experience ?

ANY app can crash the whole OS, which makes the OS very fragile.
    Ok, 8 seconds later I am up and running again ? I have crashpro set to record my crash logs and in 13 months I am up to Item No. 3. Doesn't really impact my use of the device.

Scaleable fonts and hard writing ... can't think of why I want this.

Other platforms lack API's available for palm so this is a wash. I can wipe the data on a lost palm, can't do that on WM5 unless I wanna buy and use exchange server. DirectX, it's a 2" screen, no interest. I don't see the significance of whether push support is native or added but since I definitely don't want it, I'd prefer I not be burdened with the overhead by puting it in the OS. Keep my browser, media player and any other integrated apps outta the OS also. I also won't have DRM on any device I own and will take the UK version of windows w/o MediaSlayer. If I ahve any interest in multimedia on teh devcie, I gonne strip any DRM off any material I legally own anyway.

It's like my hammer doesn't come with ground fault protection, a set of safety glasses, stud finder and gloves. If I feel I need them I have the option of using them. But getting back to the point, I'm not looking for a feature list I am looking for specific work related tasks that I can't do now and my list is very small.
    One poster here mentioned he needed to make the fonts bigger on his device because of eyesight. I wonder if that's one reason why scalable fonts are desired.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Audio and video applications on par with WM5? Streaming, et cetera?
    As a business owner, my take is if my employees wanna have a pocket device to watch movies and listen to tunes they can buy themselves an iPod and use it on their own damn time . To give you an idea of my mm usage, I had TCPMP on my palm for 10 months before I realized I could watch every movie short I had with the built in camera app.

I played EDGE for a while and was more than satisfied with graphics. TCPMP works well. Is video on WM5 on the 240 x 240 better for video than the 650 w/ 320 x 320 & TCPMP ? I have spent some time playing with the 700 or better said watching others play with it but other than a fluffed up UI, and a bit of extra effort, I didn't notice anything it did better. Ofcourse, my approach was business oriented and I wasn't checking as to whether I could watch The Sopranos during Monday's business meeting .

I hope I will be able to buy the UK version of Windows sans MediaSlayer....I'd also like Lookout and InternetExploder yanked but I am dreamin there...just unnecessary overhead.....With Palm I have the choice to remove Real Player and use PTunes....I can remove Versamail, Goodlink, Expressmail or whatever and replace them with what I want. With Windows, if I want to choose another alternative, I can not yank the "integrated overhead" and have to suffer decreased performance for apps I am not using. If MS would stop the bundling, I'd stop complaining. W/o all that crap, windows gets much snappier.
    There's a lot of "tools" you mention in there but again, how is this going to chnage my experience ?

Ok, 8 seconds later I am up and running again ? I have crashpro set to record my crash logs and in 13 months I am up to Item No. 3. Doesn't really impact my use of the device.

Scaleable fonts and hard writing ... can't think of why I want this.

Other platforms lack API's available for palm so this is a wash. I can wipe the data on a lost palm, can't do that on WM5 unless I wanna buy and use exchange server. DirectX, it's a 2" screen, no interest. I don't see the significance of whether push support is native or added but since I definitely don't want it, I'd prefer I not be burdened with the overhead by puting it in the OS. Keep my browser, media player and any other integrated apps outta the OS also. I also won't have DRM on any device I own and will take the UK version of windows w/o MediaSlayer. If I ahve any interest in multimedia on teh devcie, I gonne strip any DRM off any material I legally own anyway.

It's like my hammer doesn't come with ground fault protection, a set of safety glasses, stud finder and gloves. If I feel I need them I have the option of using them. But getting back to the point, I'm not looking for a feature list I am looking for specific work related tasks that I can't do now and my list is very small.

Exactly. And not only that, there are certain trade-offs for simple and easy usability. The Palm OS is very simple to use. While it's true they could beef-up a little more behind the scenes, if you start adding some of the more advanced features, you sacrifice some of the ease of use and simplicity that the Palms are known for. I'm sure this is one of the many reasons Palm has offered a WM device. Not everyone wants a complicated device. Personally I don't get multitasking on a device. I mean, yes you can have several programs running at once, but you can only work in one program at once (the screen is too small). If you need to switch screens, you could always save you work, switch to the other program, and then switch back. It's essentially the same thing, except it takes an extra click or two, and like 4 extra seconds of your time. Also, go look at how many threads are from people that have switched to WM (with the more advanced features) and then switched right back to the Palm OS. Hey, it's just my opinion on the matter.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    One poster here mentioned he needed to make the fonts bigger on his device because of eyesight. I wonder if that's one reason why scalable fonts are desired.
    I tend to gravitate towards programs that allow me to use small fonts like TMP. Looking at the calendar app ..... SMTWTFS takes up 2/3 of the width of the screen. How much bigger can you go before one word doesn't fit on a line ? Perhaps I need some learnin' here ... on a 17-21" desktop screen, it makes sense to have scalable fonts cause you don't wanna have to store 4,5,6,7,8....95,96 pt sizes. But how many font sizes can practically be used on that 2" screen ?

So methinks, Palm decided it was easier to store 4 sets of fonts then whatever it takes to make fonts scaleable. Using the big font in Calendar I get type "A" 14 times on a line.

That makes my 3:00 apointment look like:

"3:00 Marketing.....
    ----- Meeting".......

Cutting into how much stuff I can display on a page.

Of course when they build in that 1024 x 768 projector I talked about in the 700p april thread .....
    I think the guy meant he needed larger fonts so he could read without straining!! He said he was older.

I hope I will be able to buy the UK version of Windows sans MediaSlayer....I'd also like Lookout and InternetExploder yanked but I am dreamin there...just unnecessary overhead.....With Palm I have the choice to remove Real Player and use PTunes....I can remove Versamail, Goodlink, Expressmail or whatever and replace them with what I want. With Windows, if I want to choose another alternative, I can not yank the "integrated overhead" and have to suffer decreased performance for apps I am not using. If MS would stop the bundling, I'd stop complaining. W/o all that crap, windows gets much snappier.
    You're asking MSFT to stop bundling.

No, they wont stop bundling and I wont stop complaining about it . I gonna try buying the UK version of windows sans media player tho. I can yank much of the stuff out with this:

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast