Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The hubbab around the 700P, which basically a 650 with EVDO, is incredible.

I, like many fools, will rush out for one (being a gadget freak) when they come out, but to get all worked up over it until it happens is a bit much.

The Totalitarian Palm regime will give us only what they deem necessary.

The Windows faction is no better - it's like Republican and Democrats. All corrupt.

Where is our Linux, or should I say "V-inux" savior.

Ok...I must have had too much green beer and too many Natalie Portman fantasies last night...punching out.
    I think they are also wanting an OS upgrade, but EVDO alone is worth chanting about. (The obviously fake rumors should be trown out though)... Though wanting it, I can definitly see why if you like the Palm OS platform over WM5. EVDO is really quick (for a PDA in the United States).

Things I can do now that I could not with any previous handheld, because of GPRS limitation. Adding more to my list quite often.
    1) Replace my iPod in the car; now I just listen to streaming radio... So I don't have to manually aquire and sync new songs. (Technically I tried this with GPRS, but with a 32k stream it didn't sound good and it would buffer alot)
    2) Streaming Video... orb is fabulous, I leave the media on my home computer and if I get bored I can stream a quick episode of South Park or The Office.
    3) No more getting ticked off about website load times. GPRS would take forever if you ever tried to load a normal page, now I feel like im infront of my desktop with broadband. (My DSL is only 1.5mbps, its not FIOS or anything)
    4) Using "sendR" I can quickly, well they call it scanning, a document and then Email or FAX it to someone. You simply take a photo of it (the 1.3mp comes in handy here), and you email it to them... there software crops it and then sends it to your recipient. (This would be possible with GPRS, but a 3 page FAX comes to over 1MB... so that would take ages)
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Check out Verizon's recently reported TOS policies:

http://www.messagingpipeline.com/GLO...4402895&pgno=1

"Verizon's terms of use explicitly ban other uses, including streaming media, applications in which the host acts like a server and voice-over-IP. The terms of use language also particularly forbears replacing a wireline connection like DSL with EV-DO.

Verizon's agreement notes that it can limit throughput and data transferred or cancel an account without notice whenever they think terms are violated or when a legitimate use affects their network adversely. On discussion forums such as EVDOforums.com, a small number of users have reported being cut off by Verizon Wireless for overusing 3G."

As long as the network growing and number of handsets small, verizon won't crank too much....but as more and more EVDO capable phones get on the network, Verizon will be coming down harder as other users will be impacted and complaining.
    I am not sure who I hate worse: Verizon and their rediculous policies or Nat Portman.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  5.    #5  
    That's easy....you hate Verizon for charging so much for EVDO, as you download via your EVDO card the latest pictures of a stubble-headed Portman, hating the fact you've run out of Astroglide.
    Yes I am aware of the TOS... It's been discussed so much that I pratically got the entire thing memorized word for word.

The issue is, most of those discussions also have tethering as an issue. Most people that have gotten "the letter" or "the phone call" got cut because they tethered to a laptop. If your going to tether then they really want you on the 59 dollar plan using a pcmcia card; and some reported that Verizon simply told them you can upgrade to the 59 dollar plan and we won't cancel you.

It's also been discussed that theres a soft limit of 8GB or so, and theres no way im going over that when using the PDA. Last week I had around 60MB transfer. (Both video and audio come in around 128kbps; I could use more than that just browsing the internet on some sites) If I tether, sure... 8GB happens in a week since I'll be downloading stuff on the notebook.
  7.    #7  
    Those TOS is why I like Sprint, and those wonderful phones where you can turn off NAI.

Sure, if you abuse, you can have a problem, but for occasional use it rocks. And avoids the extra $40 charge for "phone as modem" crap.

I'm hard pressed to pay $60 a month for EVDO when for the same price I can have both t-mobile and wayport hotspot coverage, which basically covers most metro areas.
    Sprint's TOS aren't quite as strict as Verizon's but not as loose as Cingular's

"The closest detail I was able to find described what wasn’t allowed, which wasn’t as restrictive as Verizon or as loose as Cingular. Sprint PCS’s branded Vision plan can’t be used for services, whether “host computer” or “server devices,” can’t replace wireline connections, and can’t drive continuous traffic or ongoing data sessions. Sprint says it can terminate without notice for any violation."

Oh yeah...and Pricess Amadalia still looks pretty OK in miltary doo.....I'd have a tough time choosing between GI Jane (Demi) / Sinead and NP with all in their primes.
  9.    #9  
    In their prime, give me the combo pack:

Face of NP + body of Demi + psycho personality of Sinead = crazy monkey sex.
    You don't have to mind meld them or send them thru "The Fly" transporter thing to combo them up.....I'd be willing to take a shot at a 4-some....be weird tho being only 1 with long hair. ..... I'd better prepare a last will and testament first ... not likely to survive the night .... er not likely to survive 8 minutes !

body of Demi
    Well I never really took note until GI Jane and the 1 handed pushups scenes....don't ya just love a gal who looks like she can kick your arse. Tho Rachel can kick their 3 butts at the same time:

http://www.bodybuildbid.com/articles...el-mclish.html
    Enjoy it while it lasts.
    I know this has a little tinge of sour grapes, so i will take it with a grain of salt, but ...

They are free to advertise "Unlimited Broadband Internet Connection", then create a lenghthy terms of service that says its illegal to do anything except surf the web, but im sure they know this is a class action waiting to happen, ( just look at the case against them with advertising bluetooth, then blocking the dun profile ) which is why they will not enforce this policy. Show me one single person whos account has ever been suspended for listening to XM on his phone.

Furthermore, i am sure they are desperate to stem the tide moving toward voice over ip, but it's like trying to hold back a waterfall with a shot glass. It will not succeed. 3G handheld devices are here to stay, if not with verizon, then with verizon's next competitor, and the next, and the next and the next.
    So technically streaming on Sprint could get you terminated as well? That's not right.
    Every company can terminate you... they wouldn't be dumb enough to have a TOS which doesn't allow them the option to get rid of you.

If your on regular DSL and you download 2,000GB a month or something; I'm thinking you'll get a call from your regular ISP as well. They all have a clause in there for "abuse" of the network. They are still business; if your paying 20 dollars a month but using 40 dollars worth of bandwidth every month, eventualy they will do something. Now regular (non cell) bandwidth isnt that expensive.. so your average joe would never use more bandwidth than he pays for. The people that do use more, well they are your "abusers". The company will always have a part in the TOS to dump those users.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    Every company can terminate you... they wouldn't be dumb enough to have a TOS which doesn't allow them the option to get rid of you.

If your on regular DSL and you download 2,000GB a month or something; I'm thinking you'll get a call from your regular ISP as well. They all have a clause in there for "abuse" of the network. They are still business; if your paying 20 dollars a month but using 40 dollars worth of bandwidth every month, eventualy they will do something. Now regular (non cell) bandwidth isnt that expensive.. so your average joe would never use more bandwidth than he pays for. The people that do use more, well they are your "abusers". The company will always have a part in the TOS to dump those users.

Damn them for thinking of everything!
    every isp has a "TOS" and also an actual policy

heres a little secret ... ready?

the TOS ... NEVER EVER matches the actual policy

The TOS usually says that everything can result in termination, and the actual policy does something like forcing you in to a different category of service such as "Roadrunner Power User, or Extreme user, or Performance User, or Business Class, or something like that. The net effect is you get a little more downstream bandwidth, and a few more dollars a month, and no port 80 blocking etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    So technically streaming on Sprint could get you terminated as well? That's not right.
    Why is that ?

Someone provides a servcie to enable mobile professionals to meet professional needs and settles on a market price. Then those professionals can not use the service cause GreenDay / Britney / Eminem has a streaming concert and 1,000's of people are eating up all the available bandwidth.

Look what happened when AOL went with the unlimited service 10 years ago. AOL users who didn't want to sit at their machine's repeatedly clicking away at "redial" effectively couldn't use the service for a year or more until they bought Compuserve's backbone and finally had almost enough modems to handle the bandwidth.

The industry won't make that mistake again. Just like you have "levels" of T1 servce, levels of cable service and levels in phone service now (CNG unlimited w/ VPN = $40, w/o VPN = $20), I see these things being constructed similarly. What's wrong with "ya get what ya pay for" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Why is that ?

Someone provides a servcie to enable mobile professionals to meet professional needs and settles on a market price. Then those professionals can not use the service cause GreenDay / Britney / Eminem has a streaming concert and 1,000's of people are eating up all the available bandwidth.

Look what happened when AOL went with the unlimited service 10 years ago. AOL users who didn't want to sit at their machine's repeatedly clicking away at "redial" effectively couldn't use the service for a year or more until they bought Compuserve's backbone and finally had almost enough modems to handle the bandwidth.

The industry won't make that mistake again. Just like you have "levels" of T1 servce, levels of cable service and levels in phone service now (CNG unlimited w/ VPN = $40, w/o VPN = $20), I see these things being constructed similarly. What's wrong with "ya get what ya pay for" ?
    Becuase this has been proven to fail over and over. My company pays for Verizon mobile broadband so that we can use terminal services to reboot and kick start services that fail over the weekend. Verizon's policy that maintaing my terminal service session for 3 hours is fine, but streaming my kelly clarkson concert is not fine, is not only silly since we are talking about the same amount of bandwidth, but is nearly impossilbe to enforce and leads to not only brand resentment, and users leaving for the next isp.

And as far as "you get what you pay for".... In my grandfathers day that was correct. Today you get what they can weasel out of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Becuase this has been proven to fail over and over. My company pays for Verizon mobile broadband so that we can use terminal services to reboot and kick start services that fail over the weekend. Verizon's policy that maintaing my terminal service session for 3 hours is fine, but streaming my kelly clarkson concert is not fine, is not only silly since we are talking about the same amount of bandwidth, but is nearly impossilbe to enforce and leads to not only brand resentment, and users leaving for the next isp.

And as far as "you get what you pay for".... In my grandfathers day that was correct. Today you get what they can weasel out of you.

I'll agree with that. You never really get what you pay for. You get what the average middle class person WILL pay for a product. It's sad when you have people in the lower-class wanting to be middle class, who can barely afford to eat, spending $300 on an iPod because they need one. Make people think they need it, boost the price, and they'll pay for it. It's an excellent marketing strategy I must admit.

Though sometimes people don't need the marketing incentive at all to convince themselves. *cough*700p*cough*

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    dude - play with EVDO at a Sprint Store, and you'll realize QUICKLY why we are all desperate to have it on our PDA's
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    dude - play with EVDO at a Sprint Store, and you'll realize QUICKLY why we are all desperate to have it on our PDA's
    Haha, I hear that. I'll be getting up early on release day when Sprint gets the 700(p/w/x/y/z/whatever) and waiting at the door for them to open. EVDO isn't available here yet, but it will be coming here by the time the phone comes out to Sprint, which is why I am waiting, instead of switching over to Verizon and getting the 700w (not that I want the windows version, over the rumored palm version anyways).

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast