Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From almost 16 months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Why buy the 650? Palm will soon be gone...

Isn't it just a matter of time?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._pda_shipments

Microsoft Takes Lead in PDA Shipments

2 hours, 24 minutes ago Technology - AP

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Microsoft Corp.'s software platform for personal digital assistants took over the market lead from PalmSource Inc. for the first time in the third quarter, according to market research released Friday.
    If I had a quarter for every correct predition of mine dealing with the demise of Palm, I'd be broke. I'm a happy 650 owner being whipped into a frenzy (thanks Perry) about the 700P not even thinking about the 700W.

So for all you nay sayers (like myself 16 months ago) I say shut up and enjoy the ride, PALM will be around long after most of us.
    LOL

So Palm went WM for no reason? A good case can be made that if you are going to invest a lot in software (e.g. GPS software or medical reference work) you would be better of going WM, to preserve your investment and increase your device options. "Moribund" is a word thats very often associated with POS.

Surur
  4.    #4  
    Palm went WM for a good reason, to tackle more market share. My point is, POS's demise has been predicted by so many people for such a long time, that it's reasonable to assume at this point the loyalist will keep it around much longer than anyone thought.
    Huh? You post a news item 16 months ago. How was it a prediction? Your post doesn't make any sense. (I can't even tell if you are pro-MS or pro-Palm.)
    I tend to think a lot of people will be surprised at the reception to a 700p.
    Of course the Treo 700p will do well. There is a lot of pent up demand from 650 and 600 users, who have been waiting months a POS upgrade option. They problem is that it will be mainly POS-loyal upgraders, and not really growing the market.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Huh? You post a news item 16 months ago. How was it a prediction? Your post doesn't make any sense. (I can't even tell if you are pro-MS or pro-Palm.)
    I'll try to type slower for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Of course the Treo 700p will do well. There is a lot of pent up demand from 650 and 600 users, who have been waiting months a POS upgrade option. They problem is that it will be mainly POS-loyal upgraders, and not really growing the market.

Surur
    Unless they surprise us and put some decent features on it that match the WM5 devices. Yeah I know, wishful thinking.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If I had a quarter for every correct predition of mine dealing with the demise of Palm, I'd be broke. I'm a happy 650 owner being whipped into a frenzy (thanks Perry) about the 700P not even thinking about the 700W.

So for all you nay sayers (like myself 16 months ago) I say shut up and enjoy the ride, PALM will be around long after most of us.
    If Palm is not on the ball with the 4 smartphones they're supposed to release this year, they ARE in the hole! How well is the 700w really doing, anyone know?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7

He is pro-Palm and laughing at himself for his lousy predictions. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    He is pro-Palm and laughing at himself for his lousy predictions. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Your answer is more polite than mine.

I'll try to type slower for you.
    Palm went WM for a good reason, to tackle more market share. My point is, POS's demise has been predicted by so many people for such a long time, that it's reasonable to assume at this point the loyalist will keep it around much longer than anyone thought.
    More than just tackling more market share...Bill Gates wants to tackle the world and win. Even though IMO WM sucks, we will all give in and purchase any device that utilizes it because of the monopoly and the market and if sooner than later we will have no choice when POS is dead. Bill gets what he wants in the end. It doesn't matter if we all like POS...
    It's really depressing when someone says it's the loyalists keeping Palm alive. That may spell trouble actually, unless they get a huge influx of loyalists. Surur is right, that doesn't grow the market, all it does is keep them afloat. But maybe that's good enough for them.

However, if they really are releasing 4 smartphones, looks like they are trying to increase their market share. They are just so SLOW though. How much did they lose to all these other devices that were released in the 1st quarter by waiting so long? Are they just going to release one phone per quarter? Was the 700w really enough to keep them ahead profit-wise in the 1st quarter?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    How well is the 700w really doing, anyone know?
    i dont know if this is reprentative of anything, but, i have yet to see a 700w in public. i have seen hundreds, maybe thousands of 650's. I am in airports traveling at least twice a week, sometimes more, so i would think i would noticed someone with a 700w by now.
    As soona s they come out with one that syncs I will start paying attention
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    So Palm went WM for no reason? A good case can be made that if you are going to invest a lot in software (e.g. GPS software or medical reference work) you would be better of going WM, to preserve your investment and increase your device options.
    A couple of points re software investment:

1) The biggest investment I've made in software for the Treo is TomTom Navigator 5 (GBP 200 with the bluetooth GPS receiver) and this ships with both POS and WM versions. When you first get it you can, of course, activate on either a POS or WM device. From reading other users experiences, it appears you can also activate on a second device after a certain period of time (6 months?) quite easily or activate on a second device within this period by contacting TomTom support. I don’t expect that TomTom would tie you to the OS on the device that you first activate but I certainly don’t know this for sure. Perhaps someone that switched recently could comment?

2) It’s easy to overstate the software investment argument. Software developers almost never guarantee life-time upgrades, and for software you like and want to upgrade you end up paying again for later versions. Sometimes the later versions just add more features but sometimes they're absolutely required to run on newer devices with newer versions of the OS (I'm thinking WM2003SE --> WM5 in particular).

At least one company (Splasdata) offers a discount for ‘cross-grading’ (upgrading but moving to a different OS):

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/purchase.htm

I’d like to see more of this!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    As soona s they come out with one that syncs I will start paying attention
    I was reading the comments on this story on Pocket PC Thoughts the other day:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=393413

It seems just bizarre that Microsoft haven't sorted the ActiveSync mess out yet.
    Strangely, I meet 2 maybe 3 people a day who have a treo650 and have never NEVER met anyone who knows what the phone will do. I had a girl actually tell me that some websites are setting up to allow you to download programs to your computer that MAY work with your phone. Work at the Venetian hotel in Vegas which is where CES is staged. During CES met 30 40 guys and girls who had 650 and really NOT A SINGLE ONE knew the devices capabilities (one guy told me that his phone could play music if he got RealPlayer working). Christ! WANT TO BE WRONG but I think maybe only 3 or 4 thousand people in the whole world know the full capabilities of their device. Most want 'cause it's cool. If I have another person explain to me they can use the calculator I'm going to puke.
    "Cable Modem? DSL? click http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7346966394232063929 to understand quake "
    Quote Originally Posted by handquake
    Strangely, I meet 2 maybe 3 people a day who have a treo650 and have never NEVER met anyone who knows what the phone will do. I had a girl actually tell me that some websites are setting up to allow you to download programs to your computer that MAY work with your phone. Work at the Venetian hotel in Vegas which is where CES is staged. During CES met 30 40 guys and girls who had 650 and really NOT A SINGLE ONE knew the devices capabilities (one guy told me that his phone could play music if he got RealPlayer working). Christ! WANT TO BE WRONG but I think maybe only 3 or 4 thousand people in the whole world know the full capabilities of their device. Most want 'cause it's cool. If I have another person explain to me they can use the calculator I'm going to puke.
    I think Palm should start enclosing a dedicated Treocentral Forum page into their startup guide book with their new Treos box when they ship it (that will introduce newbie to find out what their treo can do and read how-to's). It will help Palm reduce support calls and emails. Plus it will increase revenue for third party vendors. And last but not least all newbie's can attend Perry's party, and can see kstewart and LadyTreo's avatars
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast