Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    ...I hate this scenario (either one), since I am a Verizon customer waiting for the 700P or whatever to come to them. I want to believe, that Vzn customers will see future Palms on the POS or ALPO operating system (700P, 800P, lowrider or hollywood, whatever, as long as it's "P"!!).
    Don't hold your breath dude. Everyone around here thinks (knows ) I'm nuts, but I just can't see why any vendor would carry two different OS versions of the exact (or nearly exact) same specification phone. The support nightmare alone is beyond belief. If 700w succeeds, why confuse your customers with the same looking device? If 700w flops, why would the customers fall for a "just switch to the 700p, it's really what the 700w should have been?"

and worst of all, what about all those 700w lemmings who just spent $399-599 for their new baby when the 700p has a better screen, more memory, possibly WiFi? That's not just the usual 6 months obsolescence, that's a rip off.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I will be on counting spree when Treo700P is released. With all this buzz already I would love to see how the sale of Treo700P will compare to the 700W. That might convince pundits at Palm to skip Palm for good or gamble on new ALP. I cant wait for the excitement later this year.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Don't hold your breath dude. Everyone around here thinks (knows ) I'm nuts, but I just can't see why any vendor would carry two different OS versions of the exact (or nearly exact) same specification phone. The support nightmare alone is beyond belief. If 700w succeeds, why confuse your customers with the same looking device? If 700w flops, why would the customers fall for a "just switch to the 700p, it's really what the 700w should have been?"

and worst of all, what about all those 700w lemmings who just spent $399-599 for their new baby when the 700p has a better screen, more memory, possibly WiFi? That's not just the usual 6 months obsolescence, that's a rip off.
    Palm Investor Press Release this afternoon, this from paragraph 2:

"Smartphone sell-through reported by our carrier partners more than doubled over the year-ago period, validating our strategic decision to support multiple open platforms and offer a choice of smartphones based on either Windows Mobile(R) or Palm OS(R)."

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/n...pl?reqid=835123

I hope this explains
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Although I postulated a possible Vzn decision to perhaps hesitate on having both the 700W andthe 700Pwith the same carrier, I hope I'm wrong. It may not be too unbelievable to have 2 similar phones on 2 different OS's on the same carrier.

Look at sprint... we see the 700w as exclusive to Vzn for 6 months, then beng available to other CDMAcarriers (Sprint) after that. (Key is "Available") - we do not know that Sprint is getting the 700W, do we.... have they tested it- any leaks? We do have a halfway decent belief that Sprint will be getting a 700P, (thanks to Merlyn) at least it seems they were testing and considering one. Was it in addition to a possible W, or in place of one??

So- there is a possibility that Sprint may carry the P and the W... and if Sprint can, so can Vzn.

OTOH, Maybe there have been no leaks about Sprint 700W's because they didn't want one, but wanted a 700P instead, thus Merlyn's was born.

The silly season continues, but did that conference call seem to negate the chance that Vzn will get a P? It was so darn vague.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    ...The silly season continues, but did that conference call seem to negate the chance that Vzn will get a P? It was so darn vague.
    I've been lectured before about condemning analyst conference calls and investor press releases, but they are an ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME. Everything is wrapped in secrecy, surrounded by fog and shrouded in mystery - WHY BOTHER. There was NOTHING there that indicated any carrier would use both a W and P model of the 700. I'd still bet the Sprint you see, hopefully before the 4th of July, is a W, followed by a WM5 "Hollywood". Only the undisclosed, undiscussed "Lowrider" gets the Frankengarnet leftovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I've been lectured before about condemning analyst conference calls and investor press releases, but they are an ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME. Everything is wrapped in secrecy, surrounded by fog and shrouded in mystery - WHY BOTHER. There was NOTHING there that indicated any carrier would use both a W and P model of the 700. I'd still bet the Sprint you see, hopefully before the 4th of July, is a W, followed by a WM5 "Hollywood". Only the undisclosed, undiscussed "Lowrider" gets the Frankengarnet leftovers.
    ...no offense, you are definitely right about investor calls, but I truly hope you're wrong about the 700w and Sprint. I need a "P"!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...no offense, you are definitely right about investor calls, but I truly hope you're wrong about the 700w and Sprint. I need a "P"!!!
    Your teacher can give you a hall pass to the men's room.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you all get the 700P, I just have severe doubts about Palm right now. Ed Hardy (okay, I said it) over at Brighthand had one of his rare spot on editorials recently urging Palm to get on the ALPO train very openly and with lots of gusto, because it is the future of what's left of the Palm OS. Frankengarnet has just about run out of steam, and only that Linux kernel will give it enough underpinnings to compete against the rapid development of WM5 devices....BUT....the Palm execs played their usual conference call foot dance and dodged his question...

As you, teH Munk, and a lot of other vets around here know, LACK OF LEADERSHIP is the quickest way to a swirly (can I say that here?), even if it is sneaky (look at the commotion that Hawkins once caused by casually holding a Treo 600 in his hand during a press conference - the press and this place went ape - no offense Munk).
    dstrauss is right, ALP is Palm's Alamo or Last Stand. . . .

opps, niether of those ended well.. . . . .. . well, depending on what side your point of view is from. . . .

Let's go for 1 out of 3.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123