Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    I think Palm should start enclosing a dedicated Treocentral Forum page into their startup guide book with their new Treos box when they ship it (that will introduce newbie to find out what their treo can do and read how-to's). It will help Palm reduce support calls and emails. Plus it will increase revenue for third party vendors. And last but not least all newbie's can attend Perry's party, and can see kstewart and LadyTreo's avatars

LOL

Maybe we could hand out a flyer "101 Things To Do With Your Treo -- That You did Not Know About" at the party.

Or maybe we could license the "TREO FOR DUMMIES" title.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by handquake
    Strangely, I meet 2 maybe 3 people a day who have a treo650 and have never NEVER met anyone who knows what the phone will do......I think maybe only 3 or 4 thousand people in the whole world know the full capabilities of their device. Most want 'cause it's cool. If I have another person explain to me they can use the calculator I'm going to puke.
    I feel your pain. I know of at least 30 people in my firm who carry the 650. I didn't upgrade myself so I carry a 600, but they are constantly amazed what I can do with my "legacy technology" (they call it as if they know what that actually meant). I have held back some of the better programs just so I can maintain my Alpha Geek status.

Then there is the new crop of 700w Verizon users who keep looking at me with their patronizing stares..."Isn't Palm a dead technology" and "Didn't you hear, Palm runs Windows now" are common quotes...then cursing the "out of memory error" . I don't carry a 700, but by reading this board, I know of many solutions to their problems. The one least condescending person (and also an attractive member of the opposite gender...save your comments, I know my weaknesses ) I actually showed how to use some advanced functionality from Hobbes posts. She was most appreciative and now refers MORE people to me...sheesh. Gotta stop doing that!

I am a trainer by trade, and love the looks on peoples faces when I get to show them some new trick or function. When that 700p hits GSM I'll be there with my wallet to reclaim my "cutting edge" technology crown. Until then, they can patronize me all they want...I read T|C and REALLY know what's going on!

LONG LIVE THE EXPERTS AT TC!!!! Viva La User Groups!
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    ...I read T|C and REALLY know what's going on!

Amen to that!
    - Jeeman
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    LOL

Maybe we could hand out a flyer "101 Things To Do With Your Treo -- That You did Not Know About" at the party.

Or maybe we could license the "TREO FOR DUMMIES" title.

Cheers, Perry
    If all of them coming from Treocentral forums, i dont thing it is necessary . Now if you want us to bring our stupid friends, co-workers and family members along with us so you can explain to them what we are tired and frustrated to do; then you got my vote :P
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    If Palmsource cannot convince Palm to load ALP into any of its future product line, then it is finished.
    I feel your pain. I know of at least 30 people in my firm who carry the 650. I didn't upgrade myself so I carry a 600, but they are constantly amazed what I can do with my "legacy technology" (they call it as if they know what that actually meant). I have held back some of the better programs just so I can maintain my Alpha Geek status.

Then there is the new crop of 700w Verizon users who keep looking at me with their patronizing stares..."Isn't Palm a dead technology" and "Didn't you hear, Palm runs Windows now" are common quotes...then cursing the "out of memory error" . I don't carry a 700, but by reading this board, I know of many solutions to their problems. The one least condescending person (and also an attractive member of the opposite gender...save your comments, I know my weaknesses ) I actually showed how to use some advanced functionality from Hobbes posts. She was most appreciative and now refers MORE people to me...sheesh. Gotta stop doing that!

I am a trainer by trade, and love the looks on peoples faces when I get to show them some new trick or function. When that 700p hits GSM I'll be there with my wallet to reclaim my "cutting edge" technology crown. Until then, they can patronize me all they want...I read T|C and REALLY know what's going on!

I agree with you. I mean if I have to pay 400 bucks for phone that get me into business fashion race I will pass. With Treo600 I started that race and with 650 I still ahead of them. Most of my friends think treo is phone with pda and browser. I love to surprise them with streaming their fav radio station on Ptunes, or watch tv/videos, chat to them which they dont understand (u might be asked, why your status dont say you are on mobile phone???), use gps (tomtom) through bluetooth, and browse to web on toilet seat (man that **** my gf off, lolzz).

Perry I hope you register with palm and other companies to enlist your party to have most geekiest treo users ever gathered at one place. Get Shadowmite in there, and you will get reporters too. I know Cnet will get story
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    If Palmsource cannot convince Palm to load ALP into any of its future product line, then it is finished.
    Mr Collins went public to announce that Palm WILL continue to release future palmOS based products.
    Another problem with giving up on palmOS (or ALP, damn it will take time to get used to) is revenue and market share. With PalmOS they already have dedicated users, software campanies and others. So it is hard to just give up on coming revenue. If people want it, they will deliever it. Thats business.
    Now what i want to know is; how easy it is to move from PalmOS garnet to ALP. Remember ALP is version that will be coming after Cobalt, which nobody ever seen. Plus it will be first major Linux based (and mainstream OS), which will include some bugs already. So jumping from Garnet to ALP, with ALP backward compatible with old palmOS, will be good sight. But I am sure there will be a ALP based Treo. Its business world. PalmSource (still a separate and parent company of ACCESS) need to sell ALP to their best customers for years. They will need to put their OS on best smartphone in the market. And Palm will get ALP so they can earn more revenue through old, dedicated customers. It is just matter of time.

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Mr Collins went public to announce that Palm WILL continue to release future palmOS based products...
    I read that as: "We will continue to release future Garnet based products". Unless you can buy a unit that is loaded with ALP, the OS will probably share the same fate as Cobalt.
    Well again thing is business. If Palm have to make money they have to go ahead of their good old Garnet. And next thing is ALP. So if they want to be in the game, they will grab ALP and make it a success beforehand. With the mood set for ALP, it is all different ballgame than of cobalt. I dont recall Palmsource showing Cobalt in tech shows. ALP is their bread and butter. They have to make it work great in order to get slight attention in PDA/Smartphone market. So I am 99.99% sure that ALP based Treo will come one day. I hope its first one too.

Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Well again thing is business. If Palm have to make money they have to go ahead of their good old Garnet. And next thing is ALP. So if they want to be in the game, they will grab ALP and make it a success beforehand. With the mood set for ALP, it is all different ballgame than of cobalt. I dont recall Palmsource showing Cobalt in tech shows. ALP is their bread and butter. They have to make it work great in order to get slight attention in PDA/Smartphone market. So I am 99.99% sure that ALP based Treo will come one day. I hope its first one too.
    Yes, it's business as usual. If Palm sees ALP as the next best thing for them, then they will go with ALP. If they see WM5 as the next best thing for them, then they will go with WM5. So far, I see them on board with WM5.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handquake
    Strangely, I meet 2 maybe 3 people a day who have a treo650 and have never NEVER met anyone who knows what the phone will do. I had a girl actually tell me that some websites are setting up to allow you to download programs to your computer that MAY work with your phone. Work at the Venetian hotel in Vegas which is where CES is staged. During CES met 30 40 guys and girls who had 650 and really NOT A SINGLE ONE knew the devices capabilities (one guy told me that his phone could play music if he got RealPlayer working). Christ! WANT TO BE WRONG but I think maybe only 3 or 4 thousand people in the whole world know the full capabilities of their device. Most want 'cause it's cool. If I have another person explain to me they can use the calculator I'm going to puke.
    Check out this trick. Go to your home screen (button with the house looking thing on it), find the icon that has a "-" symbol, a "+" sybol, an "x" and an "= sign" press that button on your screen. It's a friggin calculator on my phone man, can you believe it, I can even go into advanced operations with it, but I would have to read the book to show it to you. Man is this thing cool or what.

BARF bag to isle 7 please, BARF bag to isle 7!
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Check out this trick. Go to your home screen (button with the house looking thing on it), find the icon that has a "-" symbol, a "+" sybol, an "x" and an "= sign" press that button on your screen. It's a friggin calculator on my phone man, can you believe it, I can even go into advanced operations with it, but I would have to read the book to show it to you. Man is this thing cool or what.

BARF bag to isle 7 please, BARF bag to isle 7!
    ROTFLMAO
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I feel your pain. I know of at least 30 people in my firm who carry the 650...

...Then there is the new crop of 700w Verizon users who keep looking at me with their patronizing stares..."Isn't Palm a dead technology" and "Didn't you hear, Palm runs Windows now" are common quotes...

...When that 700p hits GSM I'll be there with my wallet to reclaim my "cutting edge" technology crown. Until then, they can patronize me all they want...
    lol, its like i found some underground palm support group, there there its not so bad, i'm sure palm os will be around for... um ... well theres always your health
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Yes, it's business as usual. If Palm sees ALP as the next best thing for them, then they will go with ALP. If they see WM5 as the next best thing for them, then they will go with WM5. So far, I see them on board with WM5.
    Well as Ed said in statement, this move was not intended to replace palm OS in treo but to attract a big market out there up for grabs. I think its a good strategy dont u think?? They wont replace PalmOS with WM because there is severe competition already in WM market. In PalmOS market there is no competition when you look. This is going to change with ACCESS licensing other companies too but I think Palm will gamble with ALP as they have nothing to loose. They have investment in both markets. I can live with that personally as an invester .

Well as Ed said in statement, this move was not intended to replace palm OS in treo but to attract a big market out there up for grabs. I think its a good strategy dont u think?? They wont replace PalmOS with WM because there is severe competition already in WM market. In PalmOS market there is no competition when you look. This is going to change with ACCESS licensing other companies too but I think Palm will gamble with ALP as they have nothing to loose. They have investment in both markets. I can live with that personally as an invester .
    You are right, there is no competition in the PalmOS market. But that misses the point - the competition is between smartphones REGARDLESS of OS (except for those PalmOS fans who would rather die than go to the dark side).

IF the PalmOS delivers feature that you can't get in WM5, RIM, Symbian, then they will continue to grow. If PalmOS/ALPO fails to deliver a compelling advantage, then what recommends them over other "me too" products in this category?

So what will Palm/ALPO deliver to keep us interested?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You are right, there is no competition in the PalmOS market. But that misses the point - the competition is between smartphones REGARDLESS of OS (except for those PalmOS fans who would rather die than go to the dark side).

IF the PalmOS delivers feature that you can't get in WM5, RIM, Symbian, then they will continue to grow. If PalmOS/ALPO fails to deliver a compelling advantage, then what recommends them over other "me too" products in this category?

The "PALM OS IS DEAD PREDICTIONS" will hinge on the implementation of this "next coming." If that Palm/ALP dog hunts, the Palm-ish OS will continue. If it fails to deliver what people want and is being offered elsewhere, it will die, my 10 year Palm Library of applications and how to knowledge not withstanding.

Cheers, Perry
    Unfortunately, I agree with Perry. As much as I love POS, if they don't deliver on their next release, then it is a death assured...
    - Jeeman
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Excellent point dstrauss. I was a very happy palm user but did not see the leap I was looking for in the 650. Ultimately I decided to go with the 700 not because I love MS but because I felt the features that I wanted were there. If Palm/ALPO are going to survive and expand, they need to get ahead of the curve. The competition in the smartphone catergory as we all know is fierce to say the least.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

The list of things Palm can do that PocketPC can't? Where to begin?
    Let's see...
    1) 320x320 screen
    2) Play Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Quake ports.
    3) NES and SNES emulation (yes some exist for PocketPC but haven't been in development for over 3 years, run sluggishly or not at all on most devices)
    4) Ability to sync with more than one PC without jumping through flaming hoops

I don't know about the rest of you but it's certainly enough to keep me using Palm. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above points, this is just what I've been able to find myself, as well as handling all the problems a certain family member of mine has with his PocketPC device.
    Here's a pondering...

Perry- better stay in the PPR and not hear this...

With Verizon so heavily involved with the 700W... will they ever carry a 700P or other POS device? If the 700W does good I can see them saying "We were right to go with the Windows Palm, and will continue to push that. Palm OS is old and dead, and we won't bother risking our 700W business by carring a 700P that could confuse people".

OTOH, If the 700W doesn't do as good as they hoped, they could also say "We've had enough of Palm here, they don't perform in the sales department".

I hate this scenario (either one), since I am a Verizon customer waiting for the 700P or whatever to come to them. I want to believe, that Vzn customers will see future Palms on the POS or ALPO operating system (700P, 800P, lowrider or hollywood, whatever, as long as it's "P"!!).
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast