Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1527
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    HRlaser....those pics....they're just cruel. Funny, but cruel.
    Yeah. Yesterday's high tech wonders are tomorrow's landfill. If you go to archive.org and dig through the videos there, there's a fantastic one in the Prelinger Archives called "To New Horizons", which is a filmed tour of General Motors' huge "Futurama" building at the 1939-1940 NY World's Fair. The theme of most of the fair's pavillions was the far-flung future world of what life would be like in 1960, twenty years in the future. The film is a little slow to get going, it starts out in black and white, but then explodes into full Technicolor, and is just simply a joy to watch, especially if you're into retro-futurism. The narrator's voice and the music they used are pretty eerie, but stick with it and watch the whole thing. I think you'll be well-rewarded.

Remember the Monsanto House of the Future at Disneyland? It was there from 1957-1967. I walked through it many times as a kid and marvelled at its wonders. Almost every futuristic invention in the house came to be (microwave ovens, big screen teevees).. but I'm still waiting for that dining table with an ultrasonic dishwasher built in to the center of it. When Monsanto pulled out its sponsorship and they decided to remove the house in 1967, they brought in a crane and a wrecking ball, thinking they could just knock it down. The ball BOUNCED off the exterior walls, and they had to resort to cutting it apart with hacksaws and torches.

http://www.yesterland.com/futurehouse.html

Why wasn't that fantastic home structure ever put into production? They still build houses the way they have for a couple hundred years - nailing pieces of wood together. Why was only ONE ever built? If you go to Disneyland now, there's nothing where the house once stood except a few decorative fountains and steps. Even now, four decades after they removed it, it would still be futuristic.

I often think about what it would be like to take some of today's common high tech items in a time machine and go back 20, 50, 100, 500 years. Would you be worshipped as a wizard ala "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" or would you be feared and scorned like a witch and burned at the stake or thrown into a pit ala "Army of Darkness"?..

Obviously, a cell phone wouldn't work if you went back before cell phone networks existed, but suppose you hopped in your time machine and took with you some common items we take for granted these days like a digital watch, or an mp3 player or a handheld calculator and showed them to Thomas Edison or Ben Franklin or Abe Lincoln or Napolean? Would the common people in those eras at your feet or burn you at the stake?

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 04/10/2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Alright Perry, I know this is driving you crazy, and I'd hate to see you end up at the funny farm in a straight jacket, drooling on yourself, so to that end, here is a picture of the 700p, a marvel of modern technology that I think you'll really love, especially since I found out that Vaja is working on a case for it.. the belt clip is going to be a special new "heavily reinforced" version.. since Palm had to add a little bit of weight to accomodate a slightly bigger battery, but notice the huge improvement in the keyboard and screen size.. this secret picture was handed to me in a plain envelope in a dark alley by a guy wearing a trenchcoat with his fedora pulled down over his face. As I opened the envelope and pulled out the picture, he quietly snuck away into the darkness. You have to promise not to let anyone else see it.

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/2004.jpg

Harv
    Hilarious! Do you know what year this is actually from?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    Hilarious! Do you know what year this is actually from?
    That's actually an urban legend composite photo. A quick Google will show you the main control panel, with the wheel, was for Navy submarine training as I recall, and the rest was added in to make it look like the "PC of the future."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Nearly 1500 posts. 2 on topic.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    Is there a point?

Yes.

May 28

48 Days.

Last edited by gtwo; 04/10/2006 at 03:41 PM.
    No point anymore until the thing is announced and/or released. Until then, it's fun to share the time with like minded lunatics.

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher."
    Ambrose Bierce
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Are you sure there are even two?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Only two? I think you're full of crap. Go link them now.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    "Go link them now"

I'll get right on that.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Look what's ahead for EVDO....

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/73474

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Look what's ahead for EVDO....

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/73474

IGO
    I thought RevB of EVDO was to adjustthe upload/download speeds to make them more equal to better utilize more effectively things like VOIP.

Not so sure this DSL Reports story is anywhere near correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I thought RevB of EVDO was to adjustthe upload/download speeds to make them more equal to better utilize more effectively things like VOIP.

Not so sure this DSL Reports story is anywhere near correct.
    No, you might be thinking of EV-DO Rev A, which has a download/upload max speed ratio of 3.1 Mbps/1.8 Mbps -- i.e., almost approaching down/up parity. That's a marked improvement over the ratio of existing EV-DO Rev 0 systems (2.0 Mbps/0.144 Mbps max), where the download speed is more than an order of magnitude faster than upload.

EV-DO Rev A is coming next year on Sprint and Verizon. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EV-DO for details.
    Last edited by EvilMonkey; 04/10/2006 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey
    No, you might be thinking of EV-DO Rev A, which has a download/upload max speed ratio of 3.1 Mbps/1.8 Mbps -- i.e., almost approaching down/up parity. That's a marked improvement over the ratio of existing EV-DO Rev 0 systems (2.0 Mbps/0.144 Mbps max), where the download speed is more than an order of magnitude faster than upload.

EV-DO Rev A is coming next year on Sprint and Verizon. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EV-DO for details.
    Thanks for the clarification Evil One. I knew I read something about this but couldn't find the article. Wil they need to update the ROM on the phones or is this simply an over the air change?
    47 Days
    Perry, I think you need Munk to do a series of those avatars slowly uncovering more of the scren each week till the release date. Sort of a slow-motion unveiling.
    hmmm yeah, I like the idea gharrod, kind of like KSteward's avatar, where they get less clothes each time he changes it!
    - Jeeman
    Ok quick funny story for you all. I was browsing through Sprint's website to see where EVDO was available and what phones they have that support it and suddenly a popup came up that said "Hello my name is Jessica can I help you find a new phone?" Now I knew you could choose to chat with a representative if you so desired but I didn't know they actually sought you out while browsing their site. So of course I had to ask the question about the new Treo, to which she responded "I am unaware." Hey, gotta give her credit for at least not giving me some BS answer but actually just telling me she didn't know. She wanted to know if I was already a Sprint customer and once she found out I was the conversation didn't last much longer. She probably gets some sort of commision for getting new contracts sold, so I wasn't much use, being an existing customer that was only interested in a phone that hasn't even been announced yet. Although I was interested that she didn't even try and sell me the 650.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Thanks for the clarification Evil One. I knew I read something about this but couldn't find the article. Wil they need to update the ROM on the phones or is this simply an over the air change?
    Good question. You need Rev A-capable hardware in the handset to use Rev A, and Qualcomm announced availability of Rev A chip sets just about a year ago (http://www.evdoinfo.com/The_News/Lat...t_20050413236/). And of course, the carrier equipment in the tower needs to be upgraded to handle Rev A. But Rev A hardware at either end (handset or tower) is apparently compatible with Rev 0, so an interesting question for near-future devices such as the Treo 700p is whether they will have Rev A chipsets that initially run only in Rev 0 mode but can later exploit the newer standard once the carrier is ready.
    so is the email i got today from palm advertising $144 worth of free accessories when purchasing a new 650 and new low price on the units further sign of clearing out stock?

how about ameritrade.com offering a free treo 650? (given, you must invest $25,000 with them first, so yeah, a total deal)...

the accessories offer is for the GSM model as well. maybe new GSM model in May? please? pretty please?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmenahem
    so is the email i got today from palm advertising $144 worth of free accessories when purchasing a new 650 and new low price on the units further sign of clearing out stock?

how about ameritrade.com offering a free treo 650? (given, you must invest $25,000 with them first, so yeah, a total deal)...

the accessories offer is for the GSM model as well. maybe new GSM model in May? please? pretty please?
    Your posting way to much!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.