Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1527
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    gfunkmagic,
    Perry has been doing a good job at keep this thread on topic. If not for him, this thread would be ridiculously off topic by now.

Perry,
    I appreciate your honesty and humor through this Silly Season, while waiting in the lobby of the PPR during visiting hours. Thanks.

Things must be slow at Palm these days. . . . . . I think they are just delaying the release of the 700P so they can be amused by our daily angst.

Thanks, Doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I just can't stand it anymore - everytime I see Munk's avatar for you, these lyrics keep popping into my head (10 points if you know the singer - no peeking below before guessing):

Please release me, let me go,
    For I don't love you anymore.
    To live a lie would be a sin.
    Release me and let me love again.

And I keep hearing Perry wailing those lyrics three months from now as he migrates to the Sprint 700 "W"

BTW - you can get the ringtone for your last Palm from here:

http://www.lyrics007.com/Engelbert%2...%20Lyrics.html
    Tony Orlando?
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by tlcbob
    Tony Orlando?
    Engelbert Humperdinck
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/28/2006 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Engelbert Humperdink
    Humberdink????

I couldn't even find her dink!!!!
    Gee thanks Dutch, even when I quote a "G" rated oldie it gets trashed. I just hope Perry hasn't started humming the tune at work.

I take that back. Since the Palm guys have his every move bugged, maybe he should start singing out load (a little reverse psychology might just get them to loosen their grip).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I was just wondering what dead horse we were going to beat up (again) today. . . . . . .

Interesting read on the Treonauts blog: http://blog.treonauts.com/

snip

Clearly, the chart above shows that Treo sales have followed a strong upward growth since its launch with every new smartphone generation providing additional momentum. As I pointed out earlier, Treo unit sales for the current quarter (Y3–Q1) stands at 569,000 having grown 111% from the same period a year ago and I have projected a similar growth rate for the coming three quarters with 884, 940 and 870 thousand units sold respectively.

It is obvious that with the expected launch in the next three quarters of all the new Treo smartphones below Palm has many opportunities to increase sales even further:

Treo 700p (running PalmOS) with Sprint in May/June
    Treo ‘Hollywood’ with Cingular in the US as well as Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe combined with a lower cost Treo ‘Lowrider’ sometime in Q3
    Treo 700w (running Windows Mobile) with Sprint either in Q3 or Q4 and potentially also with Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe at the same time.
    Since I’m on the subject of opportunities, considering that only 20% of Treo sales are outside the US it is clear that Palm has plenty of room for growth abroad and among others it has been working closely with European carriers to ensure that it can deliver a custom Treo more suitable to local design tastes. Additionally, the global market at large is still mostly ignorant of the many benefits that Treo smartphones can deliver both at work and at home and only 2% of business email boxes are currently accessed on the go…

Moreover, it is worthwhile noting that iPod sales spiked massively thanks to the introduction of ‘low cost’ models such as the Mini, Shuffle and later Nano which evidently helped to stimulate the overall penetration of iPods (the launch of the iTunes Music Store in Q9 was also extremely important). I expect that with Palm’s introduction of its own low cost Treo ‘Lowrider’ model we will see a similar surge in overall Treo unit sales in the coming quarters.

Finally, returning to Palm’s quarterly report, it is worthwhile pointing out some of CEO Ed Colligan’s most interesting comments:

“We [plan to] launch additional smartphones this year on two platforms – Windows Mobile and PalmOS – and introduce products designed to accelerate our smartphone expansion in international markets.”
    “Last quarter, I shared with you that Palm would introduce four new smartphones in calendar year 2006. When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement.”
    “You’ll see additional differentiation on Windows Mobile products yet to be announced. We look forward to further collaboration with Microsoft to bring more Treos to market here and abroad.” “In one study of more than 530 US IT managers, Treo smartphones were preferred by 43% of respondents – well more than any competitor. Thre preference for Treo is so strong that 29% of registered Treo 650 customers surveyed said they switched carriers just to get it.”
    “We’re especially eager to deliver a Microsoft Messaging software update and a Security Feature Pack, which will enable “direct push technology” on the Treo 700w. We expect enterprise deployments to accelerate when this update is available soon.” “In partnership with RIM , we completed the core client software for Blackberry Connect on the Treo 650. Interested carriers are now in the process of certification testing.”
    I was just wondering what dead horse we were going to beat up (again) today. . . . . . .

my guess is if and when the 700p will come out...seems to be the dead horse everyday.
    Interesting read on the Treonauts blog: http://blog.treonauts.com/

snip

Clearly, the chart above shows that Treo sales have followed a strong upward growth since its launch with every new smartphone generation providing additional momentum. As I pointed out earlier, Treo unit sales for the current quarter (Y3–Q1) stands at 569,000 having grown 111% from the same period a year ago and I have projected a similar growth rate for the coming three quarters with 884, 940 and 870 thousand units sold respectively.

It is obvious that with the expected launch in the next three quarters of all the new Treo smartphones below Palm has many opportunities to increase sales even further:

Treo 700p (running PalmOS) with Sprint in May/June
    Treo ‘Hollywood’ with Cingular in the US as well as Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe combined with a lower cost Treo ‘Lowrider’ sometime in Q3
    Treo 700w (running Windows Mobile) with Sprint either in Q3 or Q4 and potentially also with Orange and/or Vodafone in Europe at the same time.
    Since I’m on the subject of opportunities, considering that only 20% of Treo sales are outside the US it is clear that Palm has plenty of room for growth abroad and among others it has been working closely with European carriers to ensure that it can deliver a custom Treo more suitable to local design tastes. Additionally, the global market at large is still mostly ignorant of the many benefits that Treo smartphones can deliver both at work and at home and only 2% of business email boxes are currently accessed on the go…

Moreover, it is worthwhile noting that iPod sales spiked massively thanks to the introduction of ‘low cost’ models such as the Mini, Shuffle and later Nano which evidently helped to stimulate the overall penetration of iPods (the launch of the iTunes Music Store in Q9 was also extremely important). I expect that with Palm’s introduction of its own low cost Treo ‘Lowrider’ model we will see a similar surge in overall Treo unit sales in the coming quarters.

Finally, returning to Palm’s quarterly report, it is worthwhile pointing out some of CEO Ed Colligan’s most interesting comments:

“We [plan to] launch additional smartphones this year on two platforms – Windows Mobile and PalmOS – and introduce products designed to accelerate our smartphone expansion in international markets.”
    “Last quarter, I shared with you that Palm would introduce four new smartphones in calendar year 2006. When I say new smartphones, I am referring to a combination of operating system, new hardware design, new radio technology or other significant advancement.”
    “You’ll see additional differentiation on Windows Mobile products yet to be announced. We look forward to further collaboration with Microsoft to bring more Treos to market here and abroad.” “In one study of more than 530 US IT managers, Treo smartphones were preferred by 43% of respondents – well more than any competitor. Thre preference for Treo is so strong that 29% of registered Treo 650 customers surveyed said they switched carriers just to get it.”
    “We’re especially eager to deliver a Microsoft Messaging software update and a Security Feature Pack, which will enable “direct push technology” on the Treo 700w. We expect enterprise deployments to accelerate when this update is available soon.” “In partnership with RIM , we completed the core client software for Blackberry Connect on the Treo 650. Interested carriers are now in the process of certification testing.”
    Care to elaborate?
    I thought the Microsoft Messaging and BlackBerry Connect comments were of note. Just wonder who the "interested carriers are. . . ."

And I wonder about what "further collaboration with Microsoft" means?
    Further WM5 refinements?
    The slimmer antenna-less design?
    Both?
    Something else?
    or just another model being released with it. . . ?

The roadmap Andrew mentions is just a rehash of the current theory -- except for the 700W going to Europe late this year -- that's a new one -- and seems to fly in the face of the reason for the "Hollywood" model.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Humberdink????

I couldn't even find her dink!!!!
    Now that is the funniest thing I've read to date.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    ummm how many posts we had for longest (most active) rumor thread for Treo650 (before it was released...duhh!!!)??? I was just wondering if are about to beat that one. Are we even close enough yet???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    ummm how many posts we had for longest (most active) rumor thread for Treo650 (before it was released...duhh!!!)??? I was just wondering if are about to beat that one. Are we even close enough yet???
    You ain't seen nuthin' yet. As a charter member in good standing of the Expired Equine Flogging Fraternity, I can tell you that this thread is only here to foreshadow The Thread Which Is To Come After, the thread against which this thread will seem a model of trenchant concision. I speak, of course, of the forthcoming rumors of the Cingular 700p. The Ultimate Thread will begin about three months after the 700p CDMA is released, and continue until the Second Coming of the 700p.
    Here is how I see the 4 in '06 shaking out:

700w CDMA (done)
    700p CDMA (soon)
    700w GSM (Europe)
    700p GSM (U.S.)

And if you want a dead horse, why not Plame vs. Windoze.

That never gets old.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcap
    You ain't seen nuthin' yet. As a charter member in good standing of the Expired Equine Flogging Fraternity, I can tell you that this thread is only here to foreshadow The Thread Which Is To Come After, the thread against which this thread will seem a model of trenchant concision. I speak, of course, of the forthcoming rumors of the Cingular 700p. The Ultimate Thread will begin about three months after the 700p CDMA is released, and continue until the Second Coming of the 700p.
    How does one become a member of EEFF (or do you call E2F2)? If it involves acts and deeds, I may already be a member in good standing from 1999, when I joined "Visor"central for the sole purpose of lamenting the delays in Handspring releasing our Blue & Ice Visor DX's.
    Quote Originally Posted by naturefreak85
    Um dude, you are extremely wrong about garnet being used for nearly 10 years, if I remember correctly it was first used in 2002 with the tungsten T. That makes it 4 years, actually less than 4 years, you are really far off with your fact's there.
    I guess Windows XP shud be thrown in the dumper too, as its older than 4 years. Fall 2001 thru sometime in 2007.....how will we bear it (not to mention all the planned "good stuff" like enw file system isn't making the cut).

BTW, being typed from NT4 box which is most stable box in our office

Sorry, I been slow catching up on this thread
    i don't post much; but just my opinion, the treo for europe (hollywood) will not be windows, but palm. just a hunch, no basis for the thought, other than that palm here (i'm in paris) is known for its OS as much as hardware, wouldn't make sense to intro a treo with windows.
    I haven't been following all the Treo 700 news, but here's what I know now.

I just got done talking with our Sprint business rep; the rep said that Sprint is getting a Treo 700 "around June," but that they hadn't yet been told if it was Palm-based or Windows-based. I pressed the rep for specifics of the device, but the rep said that although they didn't know yet, they should be finding out "soon, if they're releasing it in June." The rep said that they'd also heard the rumors that they were getting a 700P, but couldn't confirm or deny it because they just didn't know yet. Despite uncertainty about specifics, the rep was very certain that Sprint is picking up "a Treo 700."

Anyway, that's what I know, and that's all I know, so don't ask for more details - if I had any more, I would have posted them!
    Merge candidate?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Please.

"Around June" sounds pretty close to 5/28 to me...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."