Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41464748495051525354555661 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1527
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I put 0% faith in the Sagio report as they were unscrupulous (correct me on that spelling Prof Doom) about issuing that report and pulled it when faced with legal problems having done so. There is no 700W in March and no Hollywood in March so they are batting 0 for 2 on those issues. I consider Sagio to speak no more truth in this matter as Slinky has.
    The Hollywood and Lowrider leak originated from the report. Assuming no Palm phone is released this month, that makes Sagio 2 for 4.

Palm now uses the Hollywood and Lowrider names to describe future products. If the 700P does come out on Sprint, Sagio will be somewhat correct there too.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Lol
    Perry...your pm box is full
    This is the relevant text directly from the Sagio report. So far they have been quite accurate and insightful.

1) Incorrect estimates on Treo sales.
    We know that PALM will introduce four new models in CY 06. In January they will introduce the already announced Treo 700 Windows which will be a Verizon exclusivity it will be the first EV-DO Treo on the market . Around the same time we believe PALM will launch a Treo 700p running PALM OS on the Sprint network, both devices will keep same form factor and will capitalize on the Treo strong foothold in the US enterprise Market.

We also learned that PALM will be launching two new products around March 06 codenamed “Hollywood” and “Lowrider”. According to the Morgan Stanley analyst in Asia (covers HTC) the estimate production output will be 200K devices/month.

“Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.

“Lowrider” will be a sub-$300 devices utilizing previous generation radios and providing PALM with an entry level PDA.
    Surur
    Surur, Weren't you bashing Sagio's credibility after they released the report?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This is the relevant text directly from the Sagio report. So far they have been quite accurate and insightful.

Surur
    Not sure I will wait for a Hollywood now that WM seems to be the most obvious OS for that device. Maybe I might defect over to Sprint and keep my treo for international use. Maybe Lowrider?
    Last edited by adrnHo; 03/25/2006 at 07:41 PM.

Surur
    Surur, not to start an arguement but NONE of that has happened so how do you state that it has been accurate and insightful??? Did I miss Palm introducing a 700p or a Hollywood or a Lowrider??? Help me understand your defense of an obviously flawed report by a company who has an interest in Palm and may profit in the short term by pumping up the stock so they can sell at a higher price (they call this pump and dump) and then had to pull the report when threatened.

See this article from ThinkEquity Partners:
    Palming Million$ - Swiss Hedge Fund 'mistakenly' Pumps Stock
    By Sam Gustin
    A Swiss hedge fund that issued a research report calling the shares of Palm Inc. a bargain saw its own 5 percent stake in the electronics firm rise by $4 million, or 6 percent yesterday. The research report failed to indicate that the firm, Geneva-based Sagio Asset Management, held shares in Palm, a leading maker of handheld e-mail devices. Sagio drew scrutiny after it sent a letter to Palm earlier yesterday demanding that the company's management improve the performance of Palm's sputtering stock.
    Palm's stock is down 28.86 percent over the past 12 months, despite a recent deal to put a next-generation Microsoft operating system on its popular phones and handhelds. Shortly after the letter to Palm's management was released, a document that Sagio had posted on its Web site entitled "Investment Research - Palm Inc. October 2005" began circulating on the Internet. The document hyped Palm's 2006 prospects and urged investors to buy Palm shares. Nowhere on the document did Sagio disclose that it had a position in Palm worth about $66 million yesterday morning. "It was a mistake of ours," Sagio portfolio manager Gualtiero Giori told The Post. "We will take it down right away." By the end of the trading session, Palm shares had jumped 6 percent to $27.75, increasing the value of Sagio's stake by $4 million to nearly $70 million. Giori said Sagio was not trying to manipulate Palm's share price. He said the report had been posted merely as an example of the kind of internal research that Sagio produces for its clients, and was not meant for public distribution.
    "We have a very long-term approach regarding Palm," Giori told The Post.
    "We think fundamentals and market dynamics will prove us right. For us this is not a trade but a core position on a secular play," Giori said.
    In its letter to Palm, Sagio called Palm's stock valuation "absurd" and "shocking" compared to its competitors in the mobile device market.
    "Despite clear financial and operational progress," Sagio's letter said, "Palm's stock price has been frustrating, range-bound, and not reflective of financial reality or growth potential." Sagio said that the company has not been able to translate improving sales or the rocketing popularity of the Treo, a combination mobile phone and personal digital assistant, into a higher stock price.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Palm now uses the Hollywood and Lowrider names to describe future products. If the 700P does come out on Sprint, Sagio will be somewhat correct there too.
    When did Palm ever use those codenames publicly?
    I believe we heard those code names first in the Sagio report, but Shadowmite found Lowrider being referred to in the ROM of the Treo 700p.

Yes, the Sagio report is poorly put together, and they say some stupid things at times, but its details e.g. the UMTS Wm Treo or the "other price points" Lowrider Treo, has been confirmed by Palm management. It turning out to have been the biggest best leak into Palm's future plans than anything else we have heard.

Surur
    I believe we heard those code names first in the Sagio report, but Shadowmite found Lowrider being referred to in the ROM of the Treo 700p.

Yes, the Sagio report is poorly put together, and they say some stupid things at times, but its details e.g. the UMTS Wm Treo or the "other price points" Lowrider Treo, has been confirmed by Palm management. It turning out to have been the biggest best leak into Palm's future plans than anything else we have heard.

Surur
    When did Palm release a price point for the Lowrider?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    They haven't and I believe the file you refer to was a single file on the Meryln Treo which was named Lowrider but Shadow was careful to say that did not mean that this file confirmed the phone to be Lowrider but that it may share a file with Lowrider.

What Sagio did with that report is on the cusp of illegal and that is why they pulled it so quickly and threatened legal action if anyone else distributed it.
    Palm has been cagey as usual, but Ed Colligan in the recent conference call talked about some of the new models "exploring new price points". As Treo's are expensive, the only new price points they can explore is cheap.

See, with Palm PRPRPR $you$ $have$ $to$ $tease$ $out$ $hidden$ $meaning$ $from$ $each$ $word$, $while$ $the$ $Sagio$ $report$ $actually$ $tells$ $us$ $it$ $will$ $cost$ $$300$ $directly$. $Thats$ $why$ $its$ $valuable$.

Surur
    They haven't and I believe the file you refer to was a single file on the Meryln Treo which was named Lowrider but Shadow was careful to say that did not mean that this file confirmed the phone to be Lowrider but that it may share a file with Lowrider.
    The point isn't that the Treo 700p is the Lowrider, but that some "Lowrider" exists at Palm outside the fevered imaginations of Sagio. This lends credibility to the rest of the Sagio report.

Surur
    Palm does not set the price point the carriers do. Important to note that point. The carriers making money of the right plan isthe real price point. Every phone model comes down in price at a determined place in its useful life.

Keep in mind what Apple is doing building the iPod into an even greater device by taking the screen to the size of the iPod andmaking the touchwheel virtual. If the Treo is to keep up and become a multi-media device the screen will be king not having a low end phone.

Surur
    Palm discussed the getting into the low end of the price range during that flurry of conference calls near the end of September, which was before the Sagio report (unless my memory is failing me on when the Sagio report came out).

As far as the best leak, perhaps, but so far I'm still waiting for the first thing to come true.

What Sagio did with that report is on the cusp of illegal and that is why they pulled it so quickly and threatened legal action if anyone else distributed it.
    On the cusp of illegal, just like the book on Barry Bonds.

Information should not have been released, but information is True. Google and you can still find the report. Actually MSN turned up a pdf file if the Google cached pdf file in html. yes, a copy of a copy of a copy.
    Last edited by adrnHo; 03/25/2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Surur, your flaw is that no 700P has been released or announced. As such, the Sagio report is wrong with it's promise of March delivery. Unless they meant March of 2007 assuming Palm does not announce the 700P this week.
    AdrnHo, the Bonds book is much different that is a freedom of speech issue. Sagio may be accused by some of effecting a change in the price of a publicly traded corporation with that report and that is not protected by the First Ammendment.
    Surur, your flaw is that no 700P has been released or announced. As such, the Sagio report is wrong with it's promise of March delivery. Unless they meant March of 2007 assuming Palm does not announce the 700P this week.
    Maybe it slipped Maybe EVDO in POS is more difficult than it appeared? Or more likely the all the real release dates were not disclosed to them when they made their large investment.

Surur
    Maybe it slipped Maybe EVDO in POS is more difficult than it appeared? Or more likely the all the real release dates were not disclosed to them when they made their large investment.

Surur
    A release of a new GSM Palm phone in the next month would be right on target for use on Cingular.

Sprint on the othe hand, needs the phone NOW!!!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Has anybody heard from Shadowmite lately?