Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Bekktek, it is good to see you back here. I also once wondered why wifi was a good thing with EVDO. Now after having wifi on my phone I understand why. First, I can get onto my own home network or a local Starbucks and that is faster then EVDO. Second is EVDO is not available everywhere. I am in rural Louisiana tonight and EVDO is nowhere to be found but my hotel has wifi. Third reason I just considered while on a plane today was the possibility of making my Sprint phone useful in foreign lands using a softphone application and avoiding having to make calls at a high per minute rate on a rented cell phone. There are definite reasons why wifi is needed.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I really am sick of people once again telling me I don't need wifi because I have EVDO. Is everyone supposed to use only ONE form of data connection when several are available? Then there are us GSM users who use EDGE and now UMTS. So we're supposed to use EVDO too??
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Spot on gharrod... we definetly can use wifi on our Treo eventhough I have unlimited data plan.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Hey Munk!, Sorry to be noob and the first one to point out your acceptance of 700P but was GLARINGLY obvious FOLD in just a couple posts (not that you not the man). Saw post about NOOBS and the posting number being a problem. For me, Have a low member number (less than 300) at TREOBITS and wrote a couple of tutoriols at www.mytreo.net including the movie tutorial on TCPMP (for which I was reviled and godded, pleased half of the people go figure). So, sorry but am a little established, a little.
    "Cable Modem? DSL? click http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7346966394232063929 to understand quake "
    Sorry MUNK you the man....that last post should have been directed to gharrod. And gharrod... little, little (my girlfriend knows its true) established.
    "Cable Modem? DSL? click http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7346966394232063929 to understand quake "
    Whose bringing the potato chips?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    COMING OUT PARTY

WHO: All Sprint Treo Owners and Wannabees
    WHEN: May 28th, 2006
    WHERE: Perry's PPR (Pink Padded Room)
    BRING: Your Treo 700P and stories to share.
    ATTIRE: Nordic, circa 1250 A.D.

Perry, have you already drank all the Kool-aid?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego
    My question in... will the screen step up from the 650, or will it suck like the 700w? As far as WiFi... not everyone will have the phone on an EVDO network... and isn't WiFi FREE in some spots... is EVDO EVER free?
    Screen will be 320x320, same as it is now. EVDO isn't free, but it's not an extra charge above and beyond Vision.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If it is legit it is for the European phone they plan to release without an external antenna or maybe for the GSM market. Most likely it is something that was an offcast prototype casing which was used for testing purposes and nothing other then that which is why I think there were no front pics and then he/she disappeared.

I do not believe n4cer is a Sprint employee because in other threads he claimed he was not even in a Sprint service area which has me asking why he was in a Sprint store in the first place. His story just does not add up. He is supposedly in some sort of criminal technology job and lives in MI. He is a big fan of a certain kind of car also. It is pretty easy to figure some of this out. The truth is what has escaped us so far...May 28 we shall know.
    Correct about n4cer, which is why I said "I briefly thought n4cer might even be a Sprint employee." At any rate, how he got the thing is irrelevant now, to us at least.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    Looking closely at those photos of the blue, antennae-less Treo, I find it very curious that, in all other aspects, the photo exactly -- exactly -- matches the back side of my 650.

Palm has never produced two Treo models so close in design (700w and 700p notwithstanding).

Final verdict for me: This is a fake.
    I'm not ready to cry foul on that one just yet. Whatever it is, looks legit. Doesn't mean it's anything more than a shell though...as the antennaless Holywood is supposed to be thinner, and that is obviously the same size as a 600/650

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Screen will be 320x320, same as it is now. EVDO isn't free, but it's not an extra charge above and beyond Vision.
    When I called Sprint, the said the PowerVision (EVDO) plans were generally $5 more than Vision....somewhere in this mass of posings I posted the exact quotes. Is your info "newer" ? I guess we won't know how it all lays out till you guys have 700p's to play with....after all if I listened to CSR's, I'd be paying $40 instead of $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I really am sick of people once again telling me I don't need wifi because I have EVDO. Is everyone supposed to use only ONE form of data connection when several are available? Then there are us GSM users who use EDGE and now UMTS. So we're supposed to use EVDO too??

Goodness, LadyTreo, a real lady doesn't have to get nasty. ;-) Don't get sick of anything, I was just asking a question and I got many answers that I understand and can now relate to.. there's no reason to get cranky. I am in Sprint-Land, KC, Mo.. so I WILL have access to EVDO and I WON'T need WiFi - I am on an unlimited plan, as, in my opinion, anyone with a data device should be (but we don't need to go there) and I don't travel all that much, especially to areas that EVDO wouldn't be available.. I didn't know/hadn't given thought to the fact that some people aren't able to access EVDO, so I stand corrected..

Frankly, as another user mentioned, I prefer to keep the unit as streamlined as possible to avoid conflicts, and other potential problems.. If I want WiFi, I'll carry a WiFi card.

Bek
    Rebecca!! I don't recall saying you can come out and play. Back to the playpen you go!

Let me go out on a limb and predict that in about 5 years we will all refer to cell phones in the same way we today refer to record albums. Recent history! I believe we are on the verge of a massive rollout of wireless coverage (not cellular) which will be supported by the broadcast, corporate, communications and local/regional governments which will be much more effective in cost and reliability then the current cell phone/tower methodology. Ok, sorry for the off-topic but with the wifi debate raging here all of a sudden I thought it needed to be said. I apologize to the mods for hijacking the thread for a moment. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Or was that deprogramming?
    Silly Season detox?
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/21/2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I wish it would slap me in the face...anyways, I agree with you Bek about WiFi... I have no use for it myself while using vision. I am partial to the geek thing and making things more dificult than they need to be because I need to feel accomplished or I am bored. Just as I am not so picky about everything when it comes to what the treo's have to offer...for goodness sake, they aren't fool blown powerhouse computers and people want to personalize them and utilize them like they are. My phone helps me in my job and planning, thats it. Most of my power use in my profesion and life come from my beastly notebook computer, and a PDA is just like a side shooter. My notebooks usually not far from me anyways, and my notebook is WiFi.

That's exactly what I was thinking - I guess there are two ways to think about it..lol.. I'm a power user with my Treo, don't get me wrong, but I do understand it's limitations.. I love having the world at my fingertips, and the world wide web, but c'mon.. if I want to be seriously surfing, I need more than a 2 1/2 inch screen. lol..

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    Goodness, LadyTreo, a real lady doesn't have to get nasty. ;-) Don't get sick of anything, I was just asking a question and I got many answers that I understand and can now relate to.. there's no reason to get cranky. I am in Sprint-Land, KC, Mo.. so I WILL have access to EVDO and I WON'T need WiFi - I am on an unlimited plan, as, in my opinion, anyone with a data device should be (but we don't need to go there) and I don't travel all that much, especially to areas that EVDO wouldn't be available.. I didn't know/hadn't given thought to the fact that some people aren't able to access EVDO, so I stand corrected..

Frankly, as another user mentioned, I prefer to keep the unit as streamlined as possible to avoid conflicts, and other potential problems.. If I want WiFi, I'll carry a WiFi card.

Bek
    Main reasons for wifi need:
    Price of EVDO
    Limited area
    Limited use as PDA when roaming

If you are with Sprint, thats fine. If not you are funked (thanks to black eyed peas ).So if you are sprint customer, you dont have right to talk on behalf of all treo users. I am sick of "why you need wifi when you have EVDO". Some people cant afford to come out of contract to enjoy cheap EVDO.

If you are major cities where EVDO is deployed, you are fine. IF not you are funked. So please dont include yourself to all other people who travel to small cities where there is not even hope for EVDO yet.

I travel to canada and europe. I have to use internet and I dont have big pocket book to pay data roaming for my usage. With limited memory already I have most of my softwares on my SD cards that I have to use while online. So wifi card is not an option (with more memory in Treo700P I can think of an option, but since I didnt try it I will keep my judgement till release).

For people who use GSM version Treos, wifi is must. Hey we even bought GSM based Treo to use it worldwide. But that doesnt mean to pay for data roaming while already paying roaming for voice calls. WiFi built in option in Treo will give us freedom.

Feel free to bash me.... I am just telling things from my experience
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.

Bekktek, it is good to see you back here. I also once wondered why wifi was a good thing with EVDO. Now after having wifi on my phone I understand why. First, I can get onto my own home network or a local Starbucks and that is faster then EVDO. Second is EVDO is not available everywhere. I am in rural Louisiana tonight and EVDO is nowhere to be found but my hotel has wifi. Third reason I just considered while on a plane today was the possibility of making my Sprint phone useful in foreign lands using a softphone application and avoiding having to make calls at a high per minute rate on a rented cell phone. There are definite reasons why wifi is needed.
    Hi gharrod, and thanks! I see your point.. I like to think I know quite a bit about this stuff (for a girrrrrlllll who's easily distracted by shiny objects) - but I really don't give much thought to the business/travel aspects to the use of our Treos, it's so much bigger than me.... sigh... I know now why you'd like to see WiFi built in, thanks for explaining

Bek
    Ummm where is that pink paded room??
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Its in the zoo office just past the cages for the Munk
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Main reasons for wifi need:
    Price of EVDO
    Limited area
    Limited use as PDA when roaming

If you are with Sprint, thats fine. If not you are funked (thanks to black eyed peas ).So if you are sprint customer, you dont have right to talk on behalf of all treo users. I am sick of "why you need wifi when you have EVDO". Some people cant afford to come out of contract to enjoy cheap EVDO.

If you are major cities where EVDO is deployed, you are fine. IF not you are funked. So please dont include yourself to all other people who travel to small cities where there is not even hope for EVDO yet.

I travel to canada and europe. I have to use internet and I dont have big pocket book to pay data roaming for my usage. With limited memory already I have most of my softwares on my SD cards that I have to use while online. So wifi card is not an option (with more memory in Treo700P I can think of an option, but since I didnt try it I will keep my judgement till release).

For people who use GSM version Treos, wifi is must. Hey we even bought GSM based Treo to use it worldwide. But that doesnt mean to pay for data roaming while already paying roaming for voice calls. WiFi built in option in Treo will give us freedom.

Feel free to bash me.... I am just telling things from my experience

There's no reason to bash, can't we all just get along?
    Why is everyone so upset about this? It's just a question and I've been given (nicely by some and not so nicely by others) answers.. It doesn't really sway me to wanting or NEEDING WiFi, but it explains why some of you DO think you NEED it.. and that's fine, I still would never trust my Treo to do some of the big jobs you're expecting of it - it's just entirely too unstable for me. But for those of you who do, more power to ya... Geesh, for most practical applications, EVDO is going to be just fine for me. There's really nothing I can do to get WiFi in there for ya, so I'm not sure why it's being taken out on me.

Have a day.

Bek