Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. hlazar's Avatar
    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
       #1  
    Based on Palm's year and a half cycle, I would expect the 800 in late 2007 or Early 2008. I'll bet that several things will be true. One the changes that Palm added to the w will find their way into windows mobile 6, and there will be a lot of choices available from other manufacturers. I doubt if Palm will move to the next version of lynex/palm operating systems. That means that Palm will be facing Motorola, HP, and numerous Japanese companies selling the same thing. How can Palm survive?
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  2. #2  
    Hello all.... Newbie here... I just blown away by all of the Palm non believers.....
  3. #3  
    Nah, no non believers here --- just those that fear for the worst and those that are trying to keep the hope alive. You have to admit that the PalmOS (or it's successor) is at the crossroads. WM5 has taken the lead with multi-tasking (but less ease of use). The PalmOS will live on or die, based on the viability of it's next incarnation (ALP or whatever) and how well it incorporates multitasking into it's heritage ease of use.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/16/2006 at 04:05 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    Based on Palm's year and a half cycle, I would expect the 800 in late 2007 or Early 2008. I'll bet that several things will be true. One the changes that Palm added to the w will find their way into windows mobile 6, and there will be a lot of choices available from other manufacturers. I doubt if Palm will move to the next version of lynex/palm operating systems. That means that Palm will be facing Motorola, HP, and numerous Japanese companies selling the same thing. How can Palm survive?

    They have to get their tails in gear; maybe this hot competition will speed things up. Also I personally do feel that the linux (with a Palm OS feel, but they said the interface is going to change some.) I think they would have a winner with with the Linux. I really want to keep the Palm destop. Palm has to be innovative in order to keep customers. Palm has to do something to stay on top in the US market. A lot of treo users do not want to go Window; are they going to ignore their large base? Maybe they will; so we will end up jumping ship if they don;t impress us. Palm has always been a dollar short but I like the Palms and the Treo's with the Palm OS. I guess time will tell. If Palm goes only Window's they have will have lost their base of customers.
  5. #5  
    Isn't the 800 the one Slinky saw.
  6. #6  
    And the 900 in 09, etc?

    Yawn.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7. #7  
    If they don't do well with their supposed 4 releases this year, I doubt they'll even make it to 2008!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #8  
    Hmm is that a 800W or 800P or even 800ALP
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    Based on Palm's year and a half cycle, I would expect the 800 in late 2007 or Early 2008.
    Well....going back to when the rumors of the 700 first surfaced in summer 2005 this was what was laid out:

    Treo 700w CDMA early 2006 on Verizon
    Treo 700p CDMA mid 2006 on Srint
    Treo 800 "Hollywood" GSM, in 3rd quarter, I'm betting w first, p is still a maybe
    Treo ??? "Lowrider .... no guess.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well....going back to when the rumors of the 700 first surfaced in summer 2005 this was what was laid out:

    Treo 700w CDMA early 2006 on Verizon
    Treo 700p CDMA mid 2006 on Srint
    Treo 800 "Hollywood" GSM, in 3rd quarter, I'm betting w first, p is still a maybe
    Treo ??? "Lowrider .... no guess.
    Guess you can pretty much pick a model number and a date out of the repository of claims and relelations over the past few months and years right? Convenient.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Guess you can pretty much pick a model number and a date out of the repository of claims and relelations over the past few months and years right? Convenient.
    Well 2 outta 2 is a pretty good record so far....I certainly can't find fault with their projections ....

    Prediction 1 - 700w arrived about when they predicted it would
    Prediction 2 - 700p looking darn sure like it's gonna arrive when they predicted it would.
    Prediction 3 - to be determined.
    Prediction 4 - to be determined.
  12. #12  
    I am still confused with Treo800 thingy. Where u got this Treo800 notion for Hollywood (code name)?? I thought they were going for Treo-Ace or something of sort.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  13. #13  
    Has there ever been a treo without a number designation ? Prerelease anything, like secrets during wartime, are never called what they are going to be called. Look at Windows Longhorn for example, take "longhorn", strip out all the good stuff and what we will see released we now know will be called "Vista". Hollywood and "lowrider" are the "code names" for the next 2 Treos. We already know what the 700p/w looks like and it's hard to imagine from leaked info and pics that Palm would put the same number designation on a new Treo with a completely different form factor, parts list and feature list. Aside from that, wouldn't they want to differentiate the increased broadband capability in the marketplace ? (assuming of course they don't intentionally cripple its broadband speed). So the question is, what number will palm pick after the 700 ?

    If I'm Ed, I'm thinking Verizon will sell their phones to its user base cause, despite their data charges, they have their market convinced thay have the best network. Sprint will sell Treos with EVDO with their marketing push that they have the lowest data plan cost. Cingular will be able to justify the increased data plan cost to their user base because of the increased speed offered by HSDPA 3.6.

    Then again, look at Windows, we went from Win95, Win98, Win2k to ME , XP to Vista. And Vista was suppossed to have a new file system and all this other good crap and now we just getting some removal of security holes and a new UI. So what they had planned when this stuff was originally leaked and what they do is something that may or not be the same come release day.

    But it sure is fun to speculate
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Has there ever been a treo without a number designation ? Prerelease anything, like secrets during wartime, are never called what they are going to be called. Look at Windows Longhorn for example, take "longhorn", strip out all the good stuff and what we will see released we now know will be called "Vista". Hollywood and "lowrider" are the "code names" for the next 2 Treos. We already know what the 700p/w looks like and it's hard to imagine from leaked info and pics that Palm would put the same number designation on a new Treo with a completely different form factor, parts list and feature list. Aside from that, wouldn't they want to differentiate the increased broadband capability in the marketplace ? (assuming of course they don't intentionally cripple its broadband speed). So the question is, what number will palm pick after the 700 ?

    If I'm Ed, I'm thinking Verizon will sell their phones to its user base cause, despite their data charges, they have their market convinced thay have the best network. Sprint will sell Treos with EVDO with their marketing push that they have the lowest data plan cost. Cingular will be able to justify the increased data plan cost to their user base because of the increased speed offered by HSDPA 3.6.

    Then again, look at Windows, we went from Win95, Win98, Win2k to ME , XP to Vista. And Vista was suppossed to have a new file system and all this other good crap and now we just getting some removal of security holes and a new UI. So what they had planned when this stuff was originally leaked and what they do is something that may or not be the same come release day.

    But it sure is fun to speculate
    I think they are making different branches and will update in that fashion. Treo700 is one branch and got P and W in there.
    New Treos will be different branch, hoping that hardware (looks and specs) will be up or low on them. Wih that they can start a new naming mania. I just cant digest a Treo800 or even any greater number assigned to gsm Treo anytime soon. CDMA companies kept Palm under influence for a while now and that is why Palm kept on releasing CDMA version before any GSM phone. So I doubt they will be able to pull better Treo (GSM based) while CDMA stay behind a step. Nah it wont happen. Now if Orange (european company) or Tmobile is offering a huge sum (very..highly...doubtful) then there might be a light for Treo hollywood to be named as Treo (701-800)
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  15. #15  
    From http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/04/set_your_calend.html

    "I’ve been at CTIA in Las Vegas all week where I was obviously hoping that Palm would announce and show our new Treo 700p.

    Alas there was no official announcement and I didn’t get a chance to play with one but there were nonetheless ‘trusted sources’ that categorically stated an announcement date to be made by Palm and Sprint on Monday, May 15 – just a little over 5 weeks away…

    This also overlaps closely with the previous rumours that claimed an actual commercial availability date of May 28.

    Naturally I am extremely excited and anxious for this latest addition to the Treo family which promises to have more memory, broadband data connectivity with EVDO and many software additions among others.

    However, I am even more interested to learn about the forthcoming release of the next GSM Treo for Cingular in the US and Orange in Europe – both of which promise to be the ‘slim and slick’ anticipated “Hollywood” model – but unfortunately there has been absolutely no sight of this device to date. The GSM version is important for me because Sprint’s Treo 700p will be CDMA and thus unable to provide international roaming for Treonauts traveling to most countries outside the US including Europe and Asia.

    In the same vein, a GSM version of the Treo 700w possibly to be launched by Vodafone in Europe and Cingular in the US in the coming months are also highly anticipated."

Posting Permissions