1.    #1  
    I've had my 600 since October after it first came out. I love it but my touch screen is getting wonky and I think it's time to maybe graduate.

I want to keep my Sprint account and my Sprint number and I'm not afraid of entering a new contract. (And I'd like to keep the Palm os.)

Where to buy? Am I better off getting a new 650 on the web? On the phone? In a store? Are there deals? (My plan is an old cheap one so I don't qualify for the hardware rebate.)

Anything I need to worry about, look out for, keep in mind, think about?

I use SnapperMail and PTunes probably more than any other software but PDANet is also critital. I backup every night with BackupBuddy. I have a clock program set to the button with the little sun/lock on it. (I have long ago forgotten what it is but when I press that button, I get big numbers with the time of day - quite handy.)

I have a lot of other software but most of it is vestigial - I probably don't need it and won't every miss it if I don't get it onto the new phone.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    http://susandennis.com
    Hi Susan!

If and when you get the 650 -- follow these upgrade insructions:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    The 650 will choke on a direct sync to your 600's userid.

As well these threads will be useful:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240
  3.    #3  
    Wonderful! Thank you so much.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    There is more:

Here is JackNaylorPE's guide to happy living with a new Treo. I plan on doing this (well, at least portions of it) when I get my 700P. The uninstall stuff sounds like a good way to go.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...46&postcount=3

Cheers, Perry.

BTW:

The 650 is now battle tested, but the 700P on Sprint is only 2 months away. (My opinion.)

The 700P will have more memory and a higher speed data connection (EV-DO), better BlueTooth and Fat32 for >2GB SD card capacities. If those interest you -- consider that in your purchase decision, especially if you like being an early adopter and being an unofficial beta tester.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/16/2006 at 11:43 AM.
    Come on now Perry. Don't lead this poor soul on with your sad faith in that 700p. You were claiming you would have one before the end of December 2005.

Susan - do not waste your money on an upgrade. Sprint does not give existing customers those great rebates where you can get a new 650 for under $200. Even if you are out of contract. I know. I tried every which way. They only give those prices to newbies. You would have to jump to another carrier to get the rebates or open a new line of service. To stay with your current Sprint number you will have to buy it from them for about $400. Give or take $50.

Do yourself a big favor. Get the Sprint equipment insurance. It is $5/mo. Wait until your 600 dies. Then take it to Sprint. There is about a 95% chance they will give you a new 650 because it is probably not very economical for them to refurb anymore 600's.

If your touchscreen is on it's way down hill. Get the insurance ASAP. I think you have to wait 30 days before you are covered. Then take it in for them to look at.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Hi Bob-C!

That was cheerleading the troops out of their Palm is dead funk.

Cheers, Perry.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks. I do have the insurance. So far it's what has prevented me from the 650 before now. I've only had to use it once. They replaced the 600 with a 600. Last time I had an issue - antenna fell off and got lost - they just fixed it.

Sounds like maybe it might be worth taking it into a Sprint store with my touch screen problem. And just taking my chances.

Thanks.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    I'd take the chance as well. I called Sprint, and they actually replaced my 600 to a 650 a yr ago when the 650 just barely came out. I'd try the store then call Sprint if that doesn't work. I too have insurance.
    Also, Lockline has ran out of both the 600 and 650. We are waiting on a replacement for my wife's 600. I called yesterday and was told that they were on backorder. They will ship the first available phone. Calling right now to get an update.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I've replaced my 600 13 times and I can never get anyone to give me a 650. It really sucks.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    You will need to get a new copy of PDANet. The 600 version is not compatible with the 650.
  12.    #12  
    Good to know. I use PDANet a whole lot!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    Susan,
    Plan on a REFURBISHED 650 and not a new one. Read Perry's 'upgrade' instructions regarding hotsyncing a new 650. Read it 2 or 3 times to make sure you understand the why of it. After you understand it's crowbar simple.
    Susan:

Looks like everyone's answered your questiosn regarding what to do with ya 650 once ya get it but not ya questions on where to buy. My advice is to search the web and find the best deals you can. Print them out and head down to your local all carriers brick and mortar store. When I did this in February 05, best on line deal around was $375 w/ 2 year contract .....most web sites were $399 ($599 - $200 in rebates that you have to apply for between 180 and 210 days after purchase.

I walked into the store after the owner called me and told me the very 1st one had arrived. I did expect to pay a premium it being the 1st and only one he had but I came armed with my web printouts.

Here's what the guy threw out at me:

1. Walk out price $325
    2. I sign rebates over to him so no worrries about forgetting or arguing w/ rebate company.
    3. 1 Year contract instead of 2
    4. He managed to finagle me a "new customer" deal even tho I was already a customer.....(switched me from Cingular Blue to Orange)
    5. Took my phone and made it the primary number on a 4 phone family plan account demoting my wife's to a $9.99 / month charge.....she was only 5 weeks into her one year contract.
    6. I am partial to this procedure for moving from phone to phone because , among other things, as if you give it back, it still leaves all your 600 stuff easily recoverable.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...46&postcount=3
    I up'd from a Sprint Treo 600 to a Sprint Treo 650 after taking about 8 months off from Sprint (Nextel, don't you know). I got home, uninstalled the Palm Desktop and attempted to install the new Palm Desktop - that was a trip. If memory serves me, the installation lacked four files, which I pulled from another machine on the home network. After installing those four files in the \windows folder, the installation went like a breeze.

Anyway, I then copied the calender and contacts list from the 600 folder to the 650 folder and set it to "overwrite handheld" and went from there. No problem. I then got brave and reinstalled bunches of programs from the backup on the SD card and found two files were not really liked very well by the 650. Those files were deleted from the 650.

I then upgraded BackupBuddy and BackupManager, played with CallFilter before deleting it (never got it to be reliable), played with CallShield and the same result. At this point, it seems to be "stable." The problems are: HanDBase's lastest release has lost two files in main memory (yepper, just plain gone), which re reinstalled from a BackupManager on the SD card. Otherwise, it does rather well.

The Sprint Treo 600 was for me a much more reliable device. The key reason for upgrading was the replaceable battery and frankly, the 600 has better battery life and likes to play with everything I had on it (including CallFilter). Oh, I do like the resolution a bit better. Otherwise, it is not that much of an upgrade for me.

Ben
    after reading this thread something occurred to me. One person said he had 13 650's that broke or whatever. I was checking into the car adapters over the last few days and it becomes obvious that many of us may have 'cooked' our units by using 'junk'accessories. I cooked a 600 2 years ago by using my 300 car charger. Skimping on accessories appears to me to be a very costly proposition. When it comes to 'pumping' juice into these phones one needs to use quality accessories or beware.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48
    after reading this thread something occurred to me. One person said he had 13 650's that broke or whatever. I was checking into the car adapters over the last few days and it becomes obvious that many of us may have 'cooked' our units by using 'junk'accessories. I cooked a 600 2 years ago by using my 300 car charger. Skimping on accessories appears to me to be a very costly proposition. When it comes to 'pumping' juice into these phones one needs to use quality accessories or beware.
    Read it again, he said 600 not 650.

I never had any problem with after market chargers for my Treo and old Sony, Nokia phones and iPods.

Not that the official one is expensive.
    Just about all "car chargers" are rapid type. I was able to compare the effects by having employees using identical phones. Two regularly used car chargers and their batteries were gone in 6 months. The bookkeeper used a office charger until the hands free law hit Suffolk County (1st county in US to have hands free nd no smoking in restaurant alws) and she bought a hands free kit that fried her battery after 3 months....2.5 years beyond those batteries (4.5 years total) I was still using my original battery, always charged at 120v whether in car or in office. I used her charger 3 times while car was in for service and battery was shot.

A 12v Dc -> 120 vAC converter will save you tons of money on various car chargers and will be much better for your battery. If you gonna get an aftermarket charger, iGo has several that are current limiting and will not harm your battery.
    My phones have broken for many different reasons. Junk accessories wasn't a reason. The only thing that plugs into my treos are the OEM desk charger and sych cable.

I need to swap the phone again because it makes an annoying digital beeeeeeep sound when the screen is lit.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    WOW, I am really sorry to hear of your string of bad luck, your Treo karma has to change soon!