Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    NEWBIES! THIS IS FOR YOU:

It has been mentioned again and again and again... in these forums, other forums, even the palm user manual takes pains to mention this. But most newbies (including myself) have not followed the guidelines, leading only to misery and dissatisfaction:

Use your new Treo as it is, out of the box for as long as necessary to get comfortable with it.
    • DO NOT install Acrobat, Docs to Go, Games etc. that came in the box.

• DO NOT install random applications and utilities you download from the web.
    I would even suggest that you forget (for some time) that you plonked down your money for a Treo. Just imagine that you purchased a Nokia 1100 (or the cheapest Motorola equivalent) and use it like one till you get familiar with its dark secrets.

In the meanwhile:
    • You may (just) want to install HotSync and Palm Desktop and try syncing up.

• You could participate in these forums and get familiar with the terminology, problems faced by others, utilities you would like to try out etc... whatever.

• Yeah, and search here and elsewhere to your hearts content for answers to any problems you may face. The world is HUGE and everything has (most things have) already been attempted by somebody, somewhere. Their experiences, comments and views will be available to you for eternity on the INTERNET.

• Select the applications carefully based on your requirement, and NOT because somebody in these forums said something was good. (I still got this thing about RLock... )

• Install your choosen applications ONE AT A TIME and give yourself sufficient time to familiarlize with each one's functioning and idiocyncrasies before installing the next one.

• Be mentally prepared to reset and reinstall everything 4 or 5 times in the first 10-15 days when you find that things are not going well with this whole "familiarization" process. Let me spell it out for you: The resetting an reinstalling activity is a part of growing-up that every Treo user has to go through. It is an intrinsic part of owning a Treo. There!
    Not following the above suggestions will not result in the V World War... but you will save yourself a lot of trouble.

- mvk, Newbie (got my Treo in Feb 2006)
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/18/2006 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Edited to reflect comments from forum users
    That's boring! I have a friend that's doing this, and it bugs the heck out of me. I tell her to download VeriChat, and she still logs into Yahoo Messenger using that link on the Sprint home page. The first thing I did when I came home was install the Palm Desktop and start the long task of inputting all of my contacts from Outlook. I know, I could've synced with Outlook, but the form wasn't 100% the same and it was bugging me. I think I'm going to get a Windows Mobile Device next time, just for that.

Maybe it's just me though, I love technology and little gadgets. I also love trying out new little programs and stuff. Also, I've used a Palm before (I think it was like an m105, something like that) so I was kind of familier with it. I guess some would benefit from keeping it "original" for a while.

Also, we're in the middle of World War IV. World War III is also known as the Cold War, and World War IV is the war against terrorism.
    I think it's gonna be hard to use the phone without contacts so I gonna agree with ya except for that one point.
    I say use the device to it's full potential from the begining, that way if you don't like how it performs, you can still return the thing. - Imagine a user taking your advice; using the device alone for say 2 weeks... then installs their programs and doesn't like how it works; but guess what? now they can't return the unit anymore, as it's been 14 days.

Now you just have a fat, expensive... paperweight.
    And please dont get hungry for ROM editing tools early. You can mess up really good. I know some newbies fried their treos. Ummm now their treos are most expensive and pretty looking bricks, isnt it. :-)
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I've never used a ROM editing tool. I'm too scared to, I guess. I really don't have a NEED to either. I'm doing pretty good on memory and if I don't like a built-in program, I just file it under unfiled and don't have to see it.
    Gotta disagree about not installing Hot Sync and Palm Desktop. I don't think you can do the updates without Hot Sync. And it's also the simplest way to back up. Also, some of those apps included in the box are useful to many people.

Agree about being careful with what else you install. My 650 is a "virgin", no apps are on it other than what came with it. No major problems yet.

Although, since the 700p is so slow coming out, I may install a few useful apps anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What LT said !!

Gotta disagree about not installing Hot Sync and Palm Desktop. I don't think you can do the updates without Hot Sync. And it's also the simplest way to back up. Also, some of those apps included in the box are useful to many people.

Agree about being careful with what else you install.
    davidg - DataViz's Beyond Contacts is a great app. Syncs nicely w/Outlook and has the same look and form.

As for spending 10-15 days with adding nothing - that would be boring. The Treo doesn't come with much. You'll learn much more about the device after a few hard-resets
    I say install whatever you like. But I practice "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I held out very long for the rom upgrades and I don't think they make that much if any difference.
    Pretty good, but you forgot to tell them to search before posting. And read the Sticky threads. Lot of good info in those.

Also, and really important, they should first install an uninstall program or a backup program like Resco Backup. That way, they can install anything and revert back if something doesn't go right.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrebsd
    I say use the device to it's full potential from the begining, that way if you don't like how it performs, you can still return the thing. - Imagine a user taking your advice; using the device alone for say 2 weeks... then installs their programs and doesn't like how it works; but guess what? now they can't return the unit anymore, as it's been 14 days.

Now you just have a fat, expensive... paperweight.
    Agree 100%! They should just use common sense (if that exists)...installing one application at a time and playing with it for a bit before installing another one is good practice. Also, an uninstaller and backup programs should be the firsts to install.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Don't install any APPS ???? This is the most stupid post I have ever seen. You buy a treo cause you want a treo if you wanted a Nokia 1100 you would have purchased one (for a lot less money) This is like saying buy a Ferarri and never take it out of first gear. Within 24 hours of getting my treo I had filled up a 1GB SD card with games, MP3's apps and video.

Worse case scenario (and we have all had to do it - experienced or not) is press the happy little reset button and re-install and you are back to your nokia 1100.

It is better to have Treo'd and lost then never to have Treo'd at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

Agree about being careful with what else you install. My 650 is a "virgin", no apps are on it other than what came with it. No major problems yet.

Although, since the 700p is so slow coming out, I may install a few useful apps anyway.
    how can you have fun with virgin?? I cant have fun with a virgin
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by treos
    Don't install any APPS ???? This is the most stupid post I have ever seen. You buy a treo cause you want a treo if you wanted a Nokia 1100 you would have purchased one (for a lot less money) This is like saying buy a Ferarri and never take it out of first gear. Within 24 hours of getting my treo I had filled up a 1GB SD card with games, MP3's apps and video.

Worse case scenario (and we have all had to do it - experienced or not) is press the happy little reset button and re-install and you are back to your nokia 1100.

It is better to have Treo'd and lost then never to have Treo'd at all...

I think the gist of it was: walk before you run.
    I don't think the OP's intention was that you never install 3rd Party apps -- just that noobie's should procede with a measured knowledge and pace.

(I'm just 10 years into my measured knowledge and pace! )

Cheers, Perry
    This thread is a train wrack.

I say we should start a Treo Wiki. Does anyone has experience with doing wiki?
  17.    #17  
    train wrack? That is something I've never come across... can you clue me in on this, please? Google ain't much help - mvk
    I think the two basic opinions here - don't load anything at first or load it all and see what happens - are really both good advice but for different types of users. If someone has even a little technical savvy and a huge bucket of patience, it can be just a blast jumping right in to loading apps and experimenting. But if the user is new to Palm, new to multi-use devices, and maybe doesn't have access to technical support it's a good idea to take it slow and add a little at a time.
    It takes all kinds to make a Treo world! And I appreciate the different types of users that post both questions and answers here on the forum. I don't think there is one best way to start using a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by treos
    Don't install any APPS ???? This is the most stupid post I have ever seen. You buy a treo cause you want a treo if you wanted a Nokia 1100 you would have purchased one (for a lot less money) This is like saying buy a Ferarri and never take it out of first gear. Within 24 hours of getting my treo I had filled up a 1GB SD card with games, MP3's apps and video..
    No, it's like buyin a Ferrari and not driving it over 50 mph until after the 1st 1,000 miles....andd that is the recommendation you will find in the manual for just about all cars.

If you plan to troubleshoot a Treo, you want as few variables as possible. Putting everything on the first day and then popping in here saying "My Treo keeps resetting, what's wrong" is just gonna get "You asked for it" or "do a hard reset, start all over and do it properly" answers.

My trial period was 30 days, I installed just Uninstall manmager and the apps on the CDand used it for a week as it says in the manual. The 2nd week got basic backup and other utilities. 3rd Week got some bigger programs, 4th week got all those other things I wanted to try but saw from this board sometimes caused problems.
    I'll be getting my Treo650 in a few weeks. So here's my question, are most of the apps that folks have trouble with the ones that affect the system operation. I have programs like Planetarium, Converter and AvantGo on my TungstenE. Are these types of programs relatively safe?
    Cool, my first post. Woo-hoo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast