Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    This thread is a train wrack.

    I say we should start a Treo Wiki. Does anyone has experience with doing wiki?
    wiki as in on wikipedia? (or wapedia for use mobile users lol) i thought think there already is a treo listing...
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave
    I'll be getting my Treo650 in a few weeks. So here's my question, are most of the apps that folks have trouble with the ones that affect the system operation. I have programs like Planetarium, Converter and AvantGo on my TungstenE. Are these types of programs relatively safe?
    Cool, my first post. Woo-hoo.

    Usually they are little "weirdness". For example, I get reset sometimes if I use side button shortcut to bring up pTunes, when I am in the browser; or when I exit TCPMP with no video on the list. You learn to avoid them after a few resets. I haven't met any big problem that prevent me from receiving calls, which is the most important thing, right?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave
    I'll be getting my Treo650 in a few weeks. So here's my question, are most of the apps that folks have trouble with the ones that affect the system operation. I have programs like Planetarium, Converter and AvantGo on my TungstenE. Are these types of programs relatively safe?
    Cool, my first post. Woo-hoo.
    Never heard anyone say these made treo barf

    Adobe Reader for Palm
    BackUpBuddyVFS
    Bike or Die
    Bonsai
    Card Export
    CleanUp
    Converter
    Crash
    DateDiff
    Diet & Exercice ***'t
    Directory Assistant
    eReader
    FileZ
    FileProg
    Hal9000
    MemInfo
    Metro
    Minibar
    PalmPuke
    PowerRUN
    STOIC
    TideTool
    TMP
    TipPro
    TrackerDog
    TreoAlarmTVBrowser
    U2U
    VoiceDial

    Here's a Software compatability list

    http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php

    Where things get hairy is:

    -Things that alter system settings.
    -Powerfrul programs that eat up lost of memory....get particularly cranky in combination with above or each other if you have 2 in category.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Never heard anyone say these made treo barf
    Yes, and GreenHex's Personal Stamp of Approval* on the following :

    FileZ
    KeyCaps600
    LEDOff
    McPhling
    pFuel
    PocketDoan
    netClock
    Profiles
    WatchMaker
    SplashShopper
    MobileDB
    PalmInternals

    *The world famous GPSA award is bestowed only on applications that pass
    strict testing under actual use and satisfying the following criteria:
    • DOES only what it is advertised for.
    • NO crippled functionality (in software claimed as "freeware").
    • NO nag screens.
    • NO resetting, crashing, freezing during use.
    • NO interference with other functionality/ software.
    • NO artefacts
    • CONSISTENT user interaction.
    • STRAIGHT-FORWARD removal/ deletion (no files scattered all over the place).
    mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/18/2006 at 09:47 AM.
  5. #25  
    I got my Treo 650 (refurb) a couple of weeks ago. I was interested to see how Palm laid out the manual, i.e. Things to learn the first day, first week, first month...

    So I charged up my Treo, read the manual, and started poking around. Within two days I had VolumeCare installed, FileZ, and after staring at the green LED flash reflect off the ceiling at night and making me feel like I was on an airport runway I'm giving Butler a try. (So far no trouble).

    Hey and you know what? NO problems. Nada. No crashes, mysterious soft resets, keys not working, etc. The only issue I have is the bluetooth volume is too low. I have a diesel pickup which only makes it worse.

    I would love to get rid of the ROM stuff I'm not using, like GetGood and Xpress Mail. That's next I think, unless I can find a fix for the BT volume issue.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurcherman
    So I charged up my Treo, read the manual, and started poking around. Within two days I had VolumeCare installed, FileZ, and after staring at the green LED flash reflect off the ceiling at night and making me feel like I was on an airport runway I'm giving Butler a try. (So far no trouble).
    Lotta Butler issues threads....tho on your problem, I just have TreoAlarm shut off my phone radio at night and have it turn it back on when it wakes me up with an alarm in the morning.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Lotta Butler issues threads....tho on your problem, I just have TreoAlarm shut off my phone radio at night and have it turn it back on when it wakes me up with an alarm in the morning.
    I figured out two more alternatives:

    Profiles can turn off your radio whenever you want. Or, you can just place the Treo face down on a table.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Lotta Butler issues threads....tho on your problem, I just have TreoAlarm shut off my phone radio at night and have it turn it back on when it wakes me up with an alarm in the morning.
    Well, the LED thing isn't the only thing Butler does that I like. And, like I said no problems at all yet.

    My phone has to be on 24/7, the exception is when I'm on a plane (thank goodness for that rule).

    After I installed Resco lock I was playing a game which decided to hang - and did so a couple of times which it never did before. So I uninstalled it with destaller and the problem went away.

    Which echos a lot of what I've been reading that many of the problems with the Treo are problems caused by apps conflicting with each other. So, my plan is to keep it simple, and only install and keep what I need.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    I figured out two more alternatives:

    Profiles can turn off your radio whenever you want. Or, you can just place the Treo face down on a table.
    The Treo 650 in stock form can be set to turn off the LED in coverage, look in the options menu while in the Phone screen.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I say we should start a Treo Wiki. Does anyone has experience with doing wiki?
    There's a Treo FAQ (see my signature) over at MTDN.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

    Treo Hater's Club

    Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave
    I'll be getting my Treo650 in a few weeks. So here's my question, are most of the apps that folks have trouble with the ones that affect the system operation. I have programs like Planetarium, Converter and AvantGo on my TungstenE. Are these types of programs relatively safe?
    Cool, my first post. Woo-hoo.
    I can personally vouch for Planetarium. Use it on my 650 all the time, love it, works without a problem.

    As to the OP's point, I'm in the try-everything camp. I have dozens and dozens of apps on my Treo with pretty good stability. Of course, the Treo is not my first Palm, so it helps to have a couple of years of experience under your belt. If I was an absolute n00b, I might take a more measured approach with a Treo since it has to work as your phone. You can take more risks with a PDA-only device, I think.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I say we should start a Treo Wiki. Does anyone has experience with doing wiki?
    There's several in existence already, I ahve one or two bookmarked one of my other boxes.
  13. #33  
    there's such a thing as overkill and from reading on this forum some individuals are loading this little gem way too much. when they do they pay the price. someone listed all the 3rd party apps they had on their machine the other day and I was amazed that it even turned on. this is not a home desktop computer.
  14. #34  
    A couple of people I work with in the robotics world use the Palm Treo. I have tinkered with it and I am going to purchase a treo. All in all...I am a newbie, but I just can't make the descision between the 650 or the 700. when ever the heck it comes to sprint. Sprint has been dragging their feet lately. I appreciate a great number of posts that has shined the light on things. I am into computers and my job consists of programming, and I like a challenge, but I will just have to take the chance between POS or WM.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jfscars48
    there's such a thing as overkill and from reading on this forum some individuals are loading this little gem way too much. when they do they pay the price. someone listed all the 3rd party apps they had on their machine the other day and I was amazed that it even turned on. this is not a home desktop computer.
    Nothing exceeds like excess. My Treo is loaded with all kinds of interesting software, books, and my notebooks on various topics (CardTXT is a godsend!). Yet despite all that, I have about 16.5 MB free, since almost everything is happily ensconced on the SD card. What's the worst thing that can possibly happen? I hard-reset it and re-install. No problem!

    Moderation is for monks!

    -- Bill
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcap
    Nothing exceeds like excess. My Treo is loaded with all kinds of interesting software, books, and my notebooks on various topics (CardTXT is a godsend!). Yet despite all that, I have about 16.5 MB free, since almost everything is happily ensconced on the SD card. What's the worst thing that can possibly happen? I hard-reset it and re-install. No problem!

    Moderation is for monks!

    -- Bill
    Cool and the gang!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions