1.    #1  
    Do you guys have any thoughts on who will manufacture the new Treos when they come out? Heard it may not be HTC.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The rumours are it's Inventec, but as to what they will be producing I don't think anyone knows.
  3.    #3  
    Thx Taz, who is Inventec and where do the rumors come from? Does this change mean anything about when we could see a 700p or even an 800?
    who makes the 700W?

wouldn't palm use the same for both
    Here's a quick story about the Invatec/Palm thing and an FCC filed Invatec phone that may or may not be Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Here's a quick story about the Invatec/Palm thing and an FCC filed Invatec phone that may or may not be Palm.
    Urgh, don't you just love when Ryan uses cool words like 'deets' in his engadget posts ... anyway I remember when HTC 'won the contract' to make the 700Ws. It would be strange if the 700p was relegated to Inventec manufacturing since it and the 700W are so similar.

And yikes, did you see that inventec phone in the second link? I hope palm's doing all the designing.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Urgh, don't you just love when Ryan uses cool words like 'deets' in his engadget posts ...
    What a friggin tool.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Looking at the manual for it on the FCC website we can glean that it's a GSM phone running WM5 with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, it also uses a standard mini USB connector. Specs wise it doesn't sound like a Palm device.
    Doesn't HTC manufacture both the 650 and the 700w? I'd be very suprised if Palm switches manufacturers now. Besides, the prototype in the link doesn't look that great, keyboard seems a step backward from the 650 & 700 units
    Last edited by Midknight; 03/13/2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo (punctuation)
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    What I have heard is that HTC will definitely make both the 700W and 700P. Then inventec will do the hollywood and low rider devices. It is actually quite wacky that Palm uses HTC for its new devices, particularly when HTC is its principle competitor in the WM5 clone market. Certainly makes it easy for HTC to copy the Treo 700s if they have the desire. I personally would like to see Palm move closer to Inventec and out of HTC's grasp. On the other hand, it seems like HTC does good quality work.