Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    No. In fact we knew from the memory applet how much ram it had to have, but people like you appear to need physical proof before you can accept that Palm shortchanged the Treo 700w. It was pretty obvious, with the Treo 700w having 20MB less memory free than the ppc 6700, that it could not have a 64 MB SDRAM chip.

Surur
    Wow, lighten up. It's a crappy WM wanna-be-smart phone.

Not everyone cares about this as deeply as you appear to.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Maybe you should defer to people that have been around longer, and likely know what they are talking about.
    What's length of membership/number of posts got to do with whether someone knows what they are talking about or not
    Stop being so skeptical then! You come across like that Blazer fellow, always doubting what is obvious to everyone else who has spent some times on the board, asking for extra-ordinary proof when the majority has long been satisfied, and attacking people who know more than you, e.g.

Has it ever occurred to you that people might disagree with you because they know more about a subject than you do? Maybe you should defer to people that have been around longer, and likely know what they are talking about.

Surur
    When did I ask for extraordinary proof? When there's so many discrepancies out there, it's hard not to doubt. I have not attacked anyone. I simply enjoy debate, and am a curious, non-political person. If anyone is under the impression that I have attacked them then I apologize, and hope you can forgive me. Such was not my intention. But comparing me to Slinky...c'mon, that just isn't fair.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Don't forget, as per Teh Munk, "people like you" shouldn't be curious
    Hey I've been like that since a very young age, can't see it changing anytime soon
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    What's length of membership/number of posts got to do with whether someone knows what they are talking about or not
    That is also on a NTK basis. And I imagine "people like you" don't need to know...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Well, Palm says it's 1824, but since Surur only has 455, it's pretty obvious that you really only need more than 450. Blame Palm for clouding the issue.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Palm just "forgot" to break down the memory for us. They added it all together, thinking average people won't know the difference.
    OK, I understand. So it's on a NTK basis then? Hahaha
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Well, Palm says it's 1824, but since Surur only has 455, it's pretty obvious that you really only need more than 450.
    Damn, so with my post count only in the forties I must barely know how to turn it on What number of posts do I need to get to before I can start using third party applications
    Damn, so with my post count only in the forties I must barely know how to turn it on What number of posts do I need to get to before I can start using third party applications
    100. You had better keep plugging away
    ROM is an old word. For the purposed of this discussion ROM=NVRAM. NVRAM is used for storage in both PalmOS Garnet and WM5. Execution takes place in the Dynamic heap in POS and Program Memory in WM (both normal SDRAM, like your desktop).

The Treo 650 has 32MB NVRAM (23MB available) and 32MB SDRAM. The NVRAM is used for storage, and the SDRAM is used for transient storage (the DBCACHE) and Execution (Dynamic heap).

The Treo 700w has 128MB NVRAM (60MB available) and 32MB SDRAM. The NVRAM is again used for storage, and the SDRAM for execution (like the ram on your desktop).

The problem people have with the Treo 700w is that while it has a 32MB SDRAM chip, all its contemporaries have 64MB SDRAM. As you may know from your desktop machine, it doesnt matter how much storage you have if you have too little ram. The shortage of ram is causing people to have to soft-reset their devices to reclaim memory. Thats not really desirable.

I hope that clears it up any confusion..

Surur
    The future treos are as good as dead. our 650's will be classics. unless palm acquires a good, rich partner.
    SE,
    Another thing motivating the flippant and tongue in cheek responses to your questioning is that the topic has already been done to death in other threads.

eg
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=103860
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106268
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ROM is an old word. For the purposed of this discussion ROM=NVRAM.
    Ok, that's what I assumed they meant.

The Treo 700w has 128MB NVRAM (60MB available)...
    So the base WM system takes 68Mb compared to 9Mb for PalmOS

Yes thanks
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the links John. Next time, before I ask a question I'll make sure to do an extensive search as not to garner any flippant and tongue-in-cheek responses from the resident gurus.
    So the base WM system takes 68Mb compared to 9Mb for PalmOS
    That's one of the things that was confusing me too, but I don't want to have any more flippant or tongue-in-cheek responses aimed at me, so I'll just shut the hell up
    I wish to insert my tongue into Sungs cheek.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Lol, that's about as far off topic as you can go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'd have to ask which cheek? Or do you really mean you want her to stick HER tongue in your cheek? The possibilities, though endless, are fun to ponder...
    - Albert Einstein
    ROM is an old word. For the purposed of this discussion ROM=NVRAM. NVRAM is used for storage in both PalmOS Garnet and WM5. Execution takes place in the Dynamic heap in POS and Program Memory in WM (both normal SDRAM, like your desktop).

The Treo 650 has 32MB NVRAM (23MB available) and 32MB SDRAM. The NVRAM is used for storage, and the SDRAM is used for transient storage (the DBCACHE) and Execution (Dynamic heap).

The Treo 700w has 128MB NVRAM (60MB available) and 32MB SDRAM. The NVRAM is again used for storage, and the SDRAM for execution (like the ram on your desktop).

The problem people have with the Treo 700w is that while it has a 32MB SDRAM chip, all its contemporaries have 64MB SDRAM. As you may know from your desktop machine, it doesnt matter how much storage you have if you have too little ram. The shortage of ram is causing people to have to soft-reset their devices to reclaim memory. Thats not really desirable.

Surur

Thanks for the info. I don't know how there could've ever been any confusion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Yeah, but LT and TazUK disagree! WTF? So there's no EXACT documentation of how much RAM there is? It's just 24, 25MB, give or take? Why does almost everyone think the 700 has 60+ megs of RAM? So you mean to tell me that out of 128 megs total internal memory, almost a hundred of that is necessary for WM?

One more point in the favor of POS...
    Yes

Yes (if it could just multi-task and handle WiFi at same time).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast