Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    "The Palm Treo 700w smartphone ships with a total memory of 128 MB of Flash ROM and 32 MB of SDRAM."

So it has 160 MB's of internal memory then?
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    That's what I thought too. And people always talk about the 700w having 60-something megs of RAM. Get your facts straight LT!
    LT and TazUK are right on this one. WM5 is similar to grown up Windows. Think of ROM as hard drive and RAM as system ram. The OS, programs, and a mirror of system ram (like WinXP hibernation) in case of power failure. RAM has a portion reserved for the OS, leaving 24-25mb for running programs.

When Palm says 128mb, 60mb user accessable, that includes system ram and unused space in ROM.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 03/11/2006 at 07:31 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Yeah, but LT and TazUK disagree! WTF? So there's no EXACT documentation of how much RAM there is? It's just 24, 25MB, give or take? Why does almost everyone think the 700 has 60+ megs of RAM? So you mean to tell me that out of 128 megs total internal memory, almost a hundred of that is necessary for WM?

One more point in the favor of POS...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Think of ROM as hard drive...
    That's the bit that confuses me, ROM is Read Only Memory, Flash ROM is different in that it can be written to but is still reserved for things that remain static i.e. firmware. If you can install apps and store personal data files to it then is sounds more like NVRAM to me rather than ROM. The figure of 60Mb lines up with the what Palm state as usable memory, but then that doesn't include the 32Mb SDRAM
    How about trusting the people that know. It has 60 MB of storage and 24 MB ram free, and 10 after boot time. This compared to 60 MB free storage and 44MB free ram on the ppc 6700. The low amount of free ram compromises multi-tasking compared to other devices.

Surur
    It's been on the market for 2 months and we still can't agree how much memory the stupid 700w actually has? And this is a tech community???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    I also drive a 99 Dodge Neon with manual windows and door locks, no cruise control and a stock AM/FM radio. It's paid for and runs great.

Sam Walton started that way (actually stayed that way as well).

...could learn a lot from you.

I once got 100k miles on a stock rear set of tires on my Neon.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/12/2006 at 01:19 AM. Reason: corrected quotes
    We know exactly. PPCtech has taken the device apart and found a 32MB SDRAM chip. Its only Palm itself and its fanatical adherents who are clouding the issue.

The chip removed was a Samsung K4S56163LF 256Mb chip.

We put in an Infineon 512Mb chip.

Regards,

Leonard
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...0&page=5&pp=20

256 Mbit= 32 MB

Surur
    If there are "better" devices on the market...as in, available to purchase today...I suggest you go buy one and live happily ever after.

Seems simple to me. Why does this need to be discussed ad nauseum?
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I agree that we all have our own descision to make regarding our way further from here, but I also agree that if Palm does not aim to compete this WM5 devices they will become a local fenomena in the US only...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    That's what I thought too. And people always talk about the 700w having 60-something megs of RAM. Get your facts straight LT!
    Talk to PPC Techs who removed a 32MB RAM chip to try to do a 64MB RAM upgrade.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    We know exactly. PPCtech has taken the device apart and found a 32MB SDRAM chip. Its only Palm itself and its fanatical adherents who are clouding the issue.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...0&page=5&pp=20

256 Mbit= 32 MB

Surur

I should have read the rest of the thread first.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I totally agree that the FS T830 looks most promising of them all. My only concern is te WIDE black screen border. A real turn off :|

The BenQ P51 looks promising too doesn't it? Is 3G a real matter when WiFi is included?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Alternate reception choices on the same device are better, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    If there are "better" devices on the market...as in, available to purchase today...I suggest you go buy one and live happily ever after.

Seems simple to me. Why does this need to be discussed ad nauseum?
    I know what you mean. So many people complain that the Treo isn't up to snuff anymore(no wi-fi mainly, which we all know isn't going to happen anytime soon), and how there are so many superior devices out there. Well, just move on already. I think though, that they all still love the Treo and want us to talk them out of going to the dark side
    I know what you mean. So many people complain that the Treo isn't up to snuff anymore(no wi-fi mainly, which we all know isn't going to happen anytime soon), and how there are so many superior devices out there. Well, just move on already. I think though, that they all still love the Treo and want us to talk them out of going to the dark side
    Agreed. They could also be trying to convince themselves that the other devices will satisfy them the way only a Treo really can.
    - Albert Einstein
    I know this is all rather inconsequential, but you mean to to tell me that people actually had to take the 700 apart to see how much RAM it had? And that Palm is lying?
    I know this is all rather inconsequential, but you mean to to tell me that people actually had to take the 700 apart to see how much RAM it had? And that Palm is lying?
    "Clouding the issue". Is that lying?
    - Albert Einstein
    Then again, this is also a DISCUSSION board where discussion of other devices isn't prohibited. Until discussion of other devices is not allowed, you think everyone is supposed to agree on all subjects? The OP wants to express an opinion and hints that he may be looking at other devices, the Mod has not asked him to leave, so apparently there's no real problem with him doing so!

I agree this board is mainly for the Treo, but you can't really stop people from expressing other opinions.

C'mon Jo, don't cloud the issue
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast