Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Are they still planning on US business mainly? If so, then maybe it's OK. Globally, I think they need to step it up if they really want to compete!

TazUK, the last product they released(the 700w), actually falls a bit short compared to other devices, IMO. How well would the 700w go overseas with 32MB RAM while most other WM5 devices are 64 RAM? If only they had added the full 64, built-in wi-fi, and no antenna. They would have knocked almost everyone out of the running with that and their form factor and high speed data! What the 700w could have been.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    uhhh, ok.

If I had a nickel for all the Treo killers, I'd be broke. Announcement does not equal shipping product (let's take BB Connect as an example).
    I think I'm confused...

The 700w has 128 MB's of onboard memory, with 60 MB's being user accessible, according to several online specifications listings.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    None of them are new annouce really, maybe except the Samsung 8gb phone. And the Benq LOL P51.

But yeah somebody need to make a phone with 2gb/4gb build-in flash memory. AND with a SD slot. Sony make a phone with 4GB memory in it and they didn't bother to put any god damn expension slot in it. Why do Sony always take 1 step forward and then 1 step backward? Retarded.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    Dont know if you have all be reading the blogs but the fish evolving with bony skeletons are just way way better than sharks. Lets face it, with no new Great White or Mako coming out soon, I really dont see how sharks are going to compete. Heck, I don't even want the Tiger Shark, or even the Hammerhead based on whats in the sea.
    hehe, I like it SharkMan!

the goat
  6.    #26  
    Okay, Mr. Jeff Kirvin, I am filing a lawsuit for twisting my own words, thus causing me public humiliation. Just to let you know I am hiring the same lawyer who represented the group who sued the Treo
    MS show vaporware? Say it ain't so!
    I'm not that excited....lets wait for the actual product before we run out to the store..you know what im sayin'?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    Okay, Mr. Jeff Kirvin, I am filing a lawsuit for twisting my own words, thus causing me public humiliation. Just to let you know I am hiring the same lawyer who represented the group who sued the Treo
    Sorry, man, had to do it. I'm just getting really tired of people making the assumption that the latest bling trumps usability. The Treo 650 is so close to perfect for a smartphone that I really don't care what else is coming out. My Treo works great just the way it is.

I also drive a 99 Dodge Neon with manual windows and door locks, no cruise control and a stock AM/FM radio. It's paid for and runs great.

BTW, love the skins. I use Freeflow daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I think I'm confused...

The 700w has 128 MB's of onboard memory, with 60 MB's being user accessible, according to several online specifications listings.
    Only 32MB RAM. The rest is ROM. Randon Access Memory is what's needed to help power the device. Read Only Memory is usually what storage memory is called, although I have heard that's not entirely correct. But without enough RAM, the device will slow down when you open up apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Sorry, I'm with the OP. I believe in moving forward, not staying in the same place year after year!

There are always people who aren't going to be satisfied with what they have, and constantly looking towards 'what's next'. More does not equal better. Just look at the iPod. It dominates the digital audio market, yet it's competition is offering more features(such as FM radio and voice recording), more options, and pretty much more everything and at a much lower price(most of the time). Or look at the Blackberry. It's the only smartphone in the world that's sold more than the Treo cumulatively, and it's not exactly packed with features
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    Dont know if you have all be reading the blogs but the fish evolving with bony skeletons are just way way better than sharks. Lets face it, with no new Great White or Mako coming out soon, I really dont see how sharks are going to compete. Heck, I don't even want the Tiger Shark, or even the Hammerhead based on whats in the sea.
    That's either the best, or the worst analogy I've ever heard
    I wouldn't mind if in upcoming Treos there were different internal memory options. Like the cheapest model might only offer 32 MB's of internal memory, but the most expensive model might come with 4 gigs internal. Obviously, most of us would opt for the high-end model, being that we're power users and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Our local high school just banned iPods, phones and all that because it was too much of a distraction and because of the "class distinctions" it wa sbecoming a crime issue. Kids walking round with a $400 iPod and a $150 cell phone might as well ahve one of these. That big HD is being marketed as a place to store tunes, not exactly a business function.

"Samsung SGH-i310 is a fantastic smartphone, that may completely sway your mind, particularly if you are a lover of music (or of another audio, like podcasts). "
    I did see that it's called the Music Maestro but if you can store other things on the HD, I think others besides iPod replacement lookers would get it. WM5 was put on for a reason and it probably wasn't for music. Why would you need a major smartphone software to listen to music? Samsung might be trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Smartphone + iPod-like feature = no need to carry an iPod and a smartphone separately.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/11/2006 at 03:08 AM.

I am content with my Treo, BUT. If another Treo (Palm not Windows) comes out and happens to have more memory (not much more, maybe doubled), reads 4gb SD cards and above, the ability to listen to music or movies over bluetooth, better sound quality (without adding apps, i.e. VC), WiFi would also be nice but not a deal breaker and it wouldnt hurt if it came with a cradle and case, i think i would then and only then upgrade.

OH YEAH, and a stronger IR

Yes i know about the different "hacks" for the Treo 650, but i dont want hacks. I want these things included
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The specs on Palms website state memory 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile, by the fact it says non-volatile means they are referring to RAM rather than ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    The specs on Palms website state memory 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile, by the fact it says non-volatile means they are referring to RAM rather than ROM
    That's what I thought too. And people always talk about the 700w having 60-something megs of RAM. Get your facts straight LT!
    if it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Ok I'm confussed now, found this page which has says the following

The Palm Treo 700w smartphone ships with a total memory of 128 MB of Flash ROM and 32 MB of SDRAM.

The use of the 128MB of flash ROM is broken down as follows:

60 MB is dedicated user storage for installing third party applications or personal data files (this is denoted under "Storage" in the memory mgmt app) AND

The remaining memory is used to store the Windows Mobile operating system, as well as Palm and mobile operator applications (this is not denoted in the memory management app because it isn't user accessible).

"Programs" in the Memory management application refers to available SDRAM. The Treo 700w supports 32MB of SDRAM of which a portion SDRAM is protected to support core device peripherals and functionality like capturing a 1.3MP image. This is true for all Windows Mobile products.

The remaining SDRAM, displayed as Total Program memory (25MB), is used to meet the run time needs of the system (drivers and in ROM applications) as well as third party applications.
    http://mobilitytoday.com/news/006040...y%20allocation
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast