Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gadget Diva was the alternate handle I would have chosen.

It isn't that I love WM5 necessarily, recall that I don't think the 700w is that great. It's that all the devices that have features I like are all WM5. If only the Palm OS had more manufacturers like they used to. What happened? I still like the Palm OS better, but the hardware is what I'm becoming not too keen on. The 700p seems to be a lot like the 650, except for EVDO and more memory. I don't really know if I want to pay another $400+ for that. Maybe if I can sell the 650 to cover some of that.

Also, was that ALL handhelds with Palm as the 45% leader worldwide? I am thinking in terms of smartphones only, not necessarily all handhelds. They do a great job on their PDAs! But no carrier except Orange sold the Treo 650 overseas. Or overseas people were buying the unlocked one from various distributors. The Treo is not necessarily loved everywhere.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/11/2006 at 03:27 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Palm was the WORLDWIDE leader in 2005, and currently controls around 45% of the handheld market. You don't consider that competing?
    This is completely bogus. When we talk WM vs POS, its more like 66% WM, 33% POS (this includes the Treo). What data do you base your numbers apon? This is the real story (from Canalys numbers). Why do you think Palm went WM?

POS vs WM graph

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 03/11/2006 at 03:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This is completely bogus. When we talk WM vs POS, its more like 66% WM, 33% POS (this includes the Treo). What data do you base your numbers apon? This is the real story (from Canalys numbers). Why do you think Palm went WM?

POS vs WM graph

Surur
    Ummm, we weren't talking about operating systems surur...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Gadget Diva was the alternate handle I would have chosen.

It isn't that I love WM5 necessarily, recall that I don't think the 700w is that great. It's that all the devices that have features I like are all WM5. If only the Palm OS had more manufacturers like they used to. What happened? I still like the Palm OS better, but the hardware is what I'm becoming not too keen on. The 700p seems to be a lot like the 650, except for EVDO and more memory. I don't really know if I want to pay another $400+ for that. Maybe if I can sell the 650 to cover some of that.

Also, was that ALL handhelds with Palm as the 45% leader worldwide? I am thinking in terms of smartphones only, not necessarily all handhelds. They do a great job on their PDAs! But no carrier except Orange sold the Treo 650 overseas. Or overseas people were buying the unlocked one from various distributors. The Treo is not necessarily loved everywhere.

I wish we had the option of changing our handles. Yes, I was referring to all handhelds. here's one link that backs me up(I've seen the same info other places to - just can't recall where). The Treo might not be as successful in the rest of the world as it is in the US, but it's immense success in the US alone makes it one of the most successful smartphones in the world. I may be wrong, but I thought the Blackberry was the only smartphone that's outsold the Treo on a worldwide scale(regardless of where they're the most successful)? Besides, why does it even matter if the Treo isn't doing too well in other parts of the world? You're an American(I'm assuming). That's like complaining about Chevy not selling many Corvettes in Japan.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Aren't they trying to go global with Treo though? It DOES matter, if so. Wasn't that why they wanted to make the Hollywood, or so the rumor goes? If they stay here in the US, sure they're doing fine! But even BB is on more European carrier sites than the Treo. We Americans have to face the fact that it isn't necessarily about the USA anymore. Somehow toward the end of the 90's, everything started to go global, whether we like it or not. So we either have to acknowledge global standards or continue to keep thinking we're the only ones who get it right our way. There has to be a reason why the Treo is not a standard overseas like it is here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you are talking about why the Treo outsold all other models of smartphone, it may very well simply be the lack of choice. There is only one real POS smartphone option, whereas the WM side is very fragmented, which leads to larger collective sales, but smaller sales per device. This also means much more consumer choice, which is good, isn't it?

Surur
    Well, last I checked, the "Hollywood" wasn't out yet. If you look the most successful smartphones in the world, WITHOUT considering where the bulk of their success is from, the Treo is one of the tops(regardless that if it wasn't for the US market, it'd be nothing). WHY do we have to acknowledge global standards? Are we moving towards a one world government or something? Oh, I forgot...we are
    If you are talking about why the Treo outsold all other models of smartphone, it may very well simply be the lack of choice. There is only one real POS smartphone option, whereas the WM side is very fragmented, which leads to larger collective sales, but smaller sales per device. This also means much more consumer choice, which is good, isn't it?

Surur
    You're still talking about OS's. That's not what we were talking about.
    Because we could fall behind, that's why! If we want to sell internationally, that is.

And we'd hate to fall behind in any regard! We have to be the dominant super power in every respect! Ever notice that we're the only country that has military bases is just about every other country? Anyway...I'm going WAY off topic now. That's a sexy new avatar you've got yourself there! Even though you look like one of "The Rockettes"! Hahaha
    That's a night club dress, LOL! Strictly for partying!

Or for line dancing?
    I'm not tall enough.

Handheld devices are pocket-sized, either pen or keypad-centric, and are capable of synchronising with desktop or laptop computers. Handheld devices are designed to access and manage data including office documents, multimedia, and games. Handheld devices do not include telephony but may include wireless capabilities that enable Internet access and text communication.
    http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9667145.html

I still dont understand then. Those IDC numbers are just for pda's, not PDA phones. Please remind me what we are discussing.

Surur
    Hey - height doesn't matter as much as you think. The shorter the better in my opinion(well, within reason) Ever been to Hawaii? They line dance in the malls here sometimes. It's always quite jarring to see. I'm sure you'd be welcome! Just don't forget your Rockettes outfit
    http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9667145.html

I still dont understand then. Those IDC numbers are just for pda's, not PDA phones. Please remind me what we are discussing.

Surur
    We weren't really discussing one or the other. We were just talking in generalities. When LT said that Palm was NOT a giant worldwide(she later added in "really"), I was just providing some proof that they still in fact are. And the Treo is one of the most successful smartphones in the world, regardless of where the majority of it's successes lie(USA).
    True, but the lesson from that graph demonstrates that one should ever take success for granted. Palm owned the PDA market in 1999-2000, selling >10 million devices per year. They completely lost that market to their competitors, and currently only ship around 4 million devices per year. Looking at the Treo 700w I am not use they have learned their lesson. Despite using a different OS they still went for an extremely underpowered, even crippled device. Unless they improve on that they will again spike and fade away, as their competitors gain mind share.

Surur
    True, but the lesson from that graph demonstrates that one should ever take success for granted. Palm owned the PDA market in 1999-2000, selling >10 million devices per year. They completely lost that market to their competitors, and currently only ship around 4 million devices per year. Looking at the Treo 700w I am not use they have learned their lesson. Despite using a different OS they still went for an extremely underpowered, even crippled device. Unless they improve on that they will again spike and fade away, as their competitors gain mind share.

Surur
    They lost the market? THAT my friend, is 'bogus'. They're shipping less units because the whole market's been declining(which is precisely why they're releasing several different flavors of Treo). They're still the industry leaders as far as non-smartphone handhelds are concerned, and the Treo is arguably the world's most successful smartphone. And with three more Treos still to be released this year, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    Have you even looked at that graph? While other device makers shipped more devices, they shipped less. Thats what I call losing the market.

Surur

Surur
    Yes I looked at the graph. And of course there are going to be more WM shipments than POS, as there are more devices out there that use WM, as you pointed out in this comment, but there is no 1 WM device that's outsold the Treo(worldwise or otherwise). Again, you're talking about OS's. Hello?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast