View Poll Results: Will we see a Palm OS 5.x Treo with 3G on GSM?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we'll see one.

14 42.42%
  • No, it's WinMob only until ALP.

15 45.45%
  • Palm has something else up their sleeve.

4 12.12%
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I've seen a number of posts here and on PalmInfocenter saying that it isn't possible to set Garnet (OS 5.x) up to support HSDPA (the 3G data service Cingular and eventually T-Mobile in the US, and plenty of other GSM carriers worldwide) are deploying. This argument says that while it is possible to set up a Garnet-based Treo for EVDO on CDMA networks, we won't see anything for UMTS/HSDPA until ALP is ready (i.e. late 2007 to sometime in 2008) and will only see Windows Mobile Treos with UMTS/HSDPA until then.

I'd like to take this with a good bit of salt. I'd very much like to see a Treo running Garnet, at least as stable as the T|X, with a UMTS/HSDPA radio. (Preferably Hollywood, though that remains to be seen.) Anyone with a programming/engineering background (i.e. Shadowmite) care to weigh in on how feasible this really is? If they can do it for EVDO (and the 700p is looking closer and closer to official release), why not HSDPA? Or can they, despite the doubters?
    That doesn't seem to make any sense to me. What radio you put in the thing seems to have no bearing on the operating system. If they can do it for a phone w/o any OS, they should be able to get it going on anything else.
    Where's the voting option for "Who cares?"
    Honestly, I think it's a waste to put UMTS/HSDPA radio with an aging OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am trying think of a function I would want my Treo to do that would require a new OS to do it in. While I would appreciate an open source based OS, and the innovation that that allows, the only think I see newer OS's like WM5 doing is adding fluff liie "modern looking screens"....iIprefer the 1980s 2 dimensional graphic Apple GUI to the separate 128MB vid card required aeroglass.

It's all about applications. I would prefer not even to know that there is an OS on the thing and certainly would prefer to avoid a start button and registry editor. I still use Caldera DOS for many functions as it is still the best tool to run programs from complete many tasks (i.e disk bad sector checking, partitioning, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat
    Where's the voting option for "Who cares?"
    If you don't care you shouldn't be reading (or especially posting) in this thread. Therefore we dont need an option for "Who cares."
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    If you don't care you shouldn't be reading (or especially posting) in this thread. Therefore we dont need an option for "Who cares."

I didn't say I didn't care, did I? You're the one who should think twice about posting flippant replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am trying think of a function I would want my Treo to do that would require a new OS to do it in. While I would appreciate an open source based OS, and the innovation that that allows, the only think I see newer OS's like WM5 doing is adding fluff liie "modern looking screens"....iIprefer the 1980s 2 dimensional graphic Apple GUI to the separate 128MB vid card required aeroglass.

It's all about applications. I would prefer not even to know that there is an OS on the thing and certainly would prefer to avoid a start button and registry editor. I still use Caldera DOS for many functions as it is still the best tool to run programs from complete many tasks (i.e disk bad sector checking, partitioning, etc)
    It's called "FrankenGarnet" for a reason. I suspect one reason is because you supposedly cannot multi-task, as people say on here. Also, now I have seen posts that it's Garnet that is holding back wi-fi from the Treo(I guess it can't handle 3 radios).

WM5, with enough memory, works fine for multi-tasking. And plenty of WM5 devices have wi-fi. It is slower and unintuitive however, and I'd still prefer Palm OS. BUT I ended up almost moving entirely to WM5.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    EDGE is faster that what Blazer can handle.... I just want a better camera.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    By the time HSDPA is widely available in the US, ALP will be available so its probably a moot point.
    Kind of silly for a poll on something no knows the answer to.

My guess is that you won't see ALP on a Treo until 2008 at the earliest and even then it's unlikely to really be the Palm OS we know today.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Speculation polls abound here in "Future Treos"! At least this one wasn't "The next Treo will be available by?". We barely know the answer to that either!