Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If it's June, then that makes it a "W" because that would be the end of the Verizon exclusive. Anyone want to bet that only the rumored low end Treo gets Palm OS and Sprint, Cingular, and "Hollywood" go "W"?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If it's June, then that makes it a "W" because that would be the end of the Verizon exclusive.
    Treo 700w? Ick

I'm not opposed to Windows Mobile (except for Activesync, which has serious issues in its current form with WM5.0), but the 240 x 240 screen is a deal-breaker for me, as is the crippled memory (only 32MB actual RAM on the 700w). And no Wi-Fi. If I'm changing OS, I want all the toys. I'll go to a PPC6700 first
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    So -- the 700P we have seen (Merlyn's) is Lowrider?
    I saw a document that indicated a June release. Just said 700, NO W or P
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    That's just my guess based upon the way the "rumored" dates for the Sprint 700 keep sliding towards June, it would be WAY too easy for this thing to be a WM5 device just like the Verizon. Think about it; since they are both CDMA shops, do you want to have invidious comparisons between the Verizon and Sprint versions based upon OS differences ("Jeez; why is his Sprint so much better than my Verizon?"). That gives them more time to cook Frankengarnet for the low end.

Remember the rumors early fall last year of a Palm "feature phone series." Same issues. Then that leaves Hollywood, and with a slimmer profile and no antennae for the Euro crowd, you'd think they'd lean towards WM5 there as well, given that it is the only Symbian competitor of any consequence in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I saw a document that indicated a June release. Just said 700, NO W or P
    BTW vikingjunior -

Thanks to you and munk that is the coolest avatar (animated) ever.
    If it's June, then that makes it a "W" because that would be the end of the Verizon exclusive. Anyone want to bet that only the rumored low end Treo gets Palm OS and Sprint, Cingular, and "Hollywood" go "W"?
    If I was Sprint I would say to Palm..."give me both."

If Sprint gets "W" before "P" all hell will break loose here.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Thanks to you and munk that is the coolest avatar (animated) ever.
    Surely the thanks should go to Joel Veitch for creating it
    Let me think...6 month exclusive on 700W got Verizon starting in Jan 06...6 months from January is June....hmmm, do you really think Palm will come out with both a 700W & P at the same time on Sprint? Not logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Let me think...6 month exclusive on 700W got Verizon starting in Jan 06...6 months from January is June....hmmm, do you really think Palm will come out with both a 700W & P at the same time on Sprint? Not logical.
    Sure but what are the alternatives?

1) Sprint gets the "P" in the May-June time frame with an exclusive and no "W" on Sprint for another few months after that to allow the "P" to sell?

2) Sprint gets the "W" in the May-June time frame without a "P" for another undetermined time frame and upsets POS loyalists?

If I was a betting man I would take option 1 being the real scenario. Sprint getting both would be far-fetched but it would create interesting possibilities (users having a choice, VZ upset with Palm, Sprint having the best of both world's..being able to sell a Treo to anyone who wants it, Palm selling CDMA devices to almost anyone who wants one, Sprint having a techinical support nightmare with people calling about Ps and Ws, etc.)

Does anyone know what sort of power the carriers have?
    Electricity like you and I.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Surely the thanks should go to Joel Veitch for creating it
    True - my apologies there - but IF munk hadn't preserved it on his site...
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    Sure but what are the alternatives?

1) Sprint gets the "P" in the May-June time frame with an exclusive and no "W" on Sprint for another few months after that to allow the "P" to sell?

2) Sprint gets the "W" in the May-June time frame without a "P" for another undetermined time frame and upsets POS loyalists?

If I was a betting man I would take option 1 being the real scenario. Sprint getting both would be far-fetched but it would create interesting possibilities (users having a choice, VZ upset with Palm, Sprint having the best of both world's..being able to sell a Treo to anyone who wants it, Palm selling CDMA devices to almost anyone who wants one, Sprint having a techinical support nightmare with people calling about Ps and Ws, etc.)

Does anyone know what sort of power the carriers have?
    I'm afraid the carriers don't give a ____ about the OS choice. "It's a Treo from Palm so Treo users will love it. Besides, Verizon's been advertising the h@$$ out of it."

I think the fly in the ointment is having the same PHYSICAL phones with two completely different OS's. Again, either Verizon or Sprint is going to be PO'd big time because the other guys Treo works better, or Sprint is forced to support the same hardware on two different platforms - OMG. I can see it now:

"Now let's see, is this an OS problem, or is it PocketInformant or DateBk5 causing the conflict. Let me look here in my support manual...ohhhhh...it says you are screwed because it happens on both but we don't know what driver is causing the incompatability..."

Of course, that PRESUMES that Sprint has a support desk....
    Whatever happened to the fact that Shadowmite had not yet seen a W in testing on Sprint? Shadow said the P first and then the W on Sprint.
    this would make sense because I remember that shadowmite said something about the phone identifying itself as the lowrider
    several regular phones -> sidekick 2 -> treo 650 -> hopefully 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    this would make sense because I remember that shadowmite said something about the phone identifying itself as the lowrider

Hi tcens!

Devil's Advocate Question:

So if the W is out, and

The 700P is Lowrider, and

Hollywood is the presumed antenna-less unit for Europe and Cingular. .

What is the fourth?

Cheers, Perry
    Hi tcens!

Devil's Advocate Question:

So if the W is out, and

The 700P is Lowrider, and

Hollywood is the presumed antenna-less unit for Europe and Cingular. .

What is the fourth?

Cheers, Perry
    I think the lowrider is going to be low end... maybe without a touchscreen or keyboard...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I think the lowrider is going to be low end... maybe without a touchscreen or keyboard...
    Hi nonobeez!

Then you think the 700P is not Lowrider. . . . . . .
    Hi nonobeez!

Then you think the 700P is not Lowrider. . . . . . .
    HeY Perry!

700p is just a 650 replacement... Somewhere in the mix there has to be a inexpensive alternative.

what do you think? I think the phones to watch out for in the near future are the 700P, 700W (gsm) and of course the 700w for sprint.

700P could also be the hollywood... could be 700G.

Would not be surprised about palm NOT coming out with an antenna-less version.

The 650 was suppose to have WiFi option and a better camera...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast