Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. NormBo's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am considering purchasing my first Treo probably the 700W and was wondering if this is the technology that will also work in Israel, parts of Africa (Ethiopia, Sudan and Liberia) and Europe? Will the internet access work there if the cell phone works or is that a totally different deal? I have a friend over there often and sometimes he can use a local cell phone when he can't access the internet. Could he use the EVDO features to connect through a laptop perhaps?
  2. #2  
    Israel is highly advanced in terms of technology, so you should not have a problem there. Since you mention EVDO, I am assuming you are on CDMA, (the 700W is)so that may be an issue, but there are CDMA providers in Israel.

    Here is a good site to http://www.science.co.il/Telecom-Com....asp?s=telecom
  3. #3  
    Can't tell you about the 700w but the 650 GSM model works flawlessly -- data and voice -- in Europe. Web browsing and email (Versamail to sync to my Exchange server in L. A. and Chatter for everything else) was great. Quad band was really fun. There I sat in Zurich, able to choose 4 different carriers on each of the four bands.

    EDIT. That didn't come out right. That would suggest 16 carriers. No. One carrier per frequency. Way cooler than locked into T-Mo as is the case at home.
  4. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Can't tell you about the 700w but the 650 GSM model works flawlessly -- data and voice -- in Europe. Web browsing and email (Versamail to sync to my Exchange server in L. A. and Chatter for everything else) was great. Quad band was really fun. There I sat in Zurich, able to choose 4 different carriers on each of the four bands.

    EDIT. That didn't come out right. That would suggest 16 carriers. No. One carrier per frequency. Way cooler than locked into T-Mo as is the case at home.
    So - did you use your TMO SIM, or a local carrier SIM while in Europe?

    And can you say how much your data access cost you while there?
  5. #5  
    I just used my regular T-mo SIM at a numbing 99 cents a minute for voice. Shades of the '80s in the price department. Data cost me about $5 for the week I was in Switzerland. Heavy email (30 a day?) but light on the web. I was afraid of the charges so my TC addiction went into remission for the week.
  6. #6  
    Can't edit previous post since I am on the mobile TC site. I just want to add on the data cost point that the $5 was what showed up on this month's bill. I am hoping that there isn't a big delayed hit coming next month.
  7. #7  
    I used my 650 GSM in Spain and Italy, worked flawlessly, 99 cents/minute for voice, a buck a megabyte for data. Thought of buying a local SIM card, but decided it ws not worth the hassle. Plus, in Italy, you have to have a number issued by the government to buy a prepaid sim card.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I used my 650 GSM in Spain and Italy, worked flawlessly, 99 cents/minute for voice, a buck a megabyte for data....
    Who's your provider? I recently checked with TMO and Cingular, their data rates seem much higher than that. (1.50 for TMO, 1.95 for Cingular).

    Also, what was your usage like? I'm estimating about 1-2 MB per day for email, on average, if I don't pull down any attachments; up to 10 MB per day if I read attachments.
  9. #9  
    For me, I had a lot of little emails. Basically glorified IMs much of the time, longer emails sometime. But you know how it is to type on a Treo.

    Lucky (!) for me I had a spam barrage the week I was in Switzerland and it took a while for Spam Assassin to wise up. I would sync Versamail and get 30 - 40 of that stuff at a pop. Tiny in size but aggravating.

    I too thought that I would get hammered by data rates per MB but that didn't turn out to be the case. Maybe the fine print works in favor of the customer? Maybe I just practiced safe cellular phone use? Who knows? Answer: my next month's bill knows.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Who's your provider? I recently checked with TMO and Cingular, their data rates seem much higher than that. (1.50 for TMO, 1.95 for Cingular).

    Also, what was your usage like? I'm estimating about 1-2 MB per day for email, on average, if I don't pull down any attachments; up to 10 MB per day if I read attachments.
    T-Mo is my provider. The travel was last year - I hope they haven't raised their rates since then! But I did sign up for their (free) international plan. Usage was less than 1mb a day (mainly email, just a little web), and not every day.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad

Posting Permissions