1.    #1  
    I've read a few notes about this phone, and know its an EU phone that runs on GSM. Any reason it wouldn't work in the US with a GSM Sim Card from a domestic provider dropped in?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    it should work fine. Check the freqs. I use my unlocked Treo in Europe all the time with a local Sim
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    I've read a few notes about this phone, and know its an EU phone that runs on GSM. Any reason it wouldn't work in the US with a GSM Sim Card from a domestic provider dropped in?

All you need to do is check a coverage map for the area in which youd like to use the phone and see if the Universals frequencies pick up well enough in that area

Universal = Tri-Band 900/ 1800/ 1900 MHz

GSM-850, (or 800) and GSM-1900 are used in the United States

So youd have to see if 1900 is strong enough in your area.
    Any reason it wouldn't work in the US with a GSM Sim Card from a domestic provider dropped in?
    Well, 1) HTC Universal = $1,000+

2) over 10 ounces

And 3) if you were lucky enough to be in an area that doesn't use 850, you be in "out of service areas" a whole lot when you travel not to mention no 3G anywhere

"The HTC Universal was designed to best operate on European and Asian GSM/GPRS/UMTS networks. In the United States its use is a bit limited as it is only compatible with the 1900MHz GSM/GPRS-networks of T-Mobile and Cingular. That means if someone lives in a part of the country where Cingular uses the 850MHz bandwidth, like Julie in her part of Indiana, they are out of luck. For UMTS, the Universal requires the European or Asian 2100MHz bandwidth, rather than the bandwidth Cingular uses for its United States 3G UMTS networks. The Universal is not EDGE capable, and it will not operate at all on the Sprint and Verizon's CDMA networks."

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...ocket_pc_phone
    Thanks for the info. That makes me want what I don't have a little less
    It would be nice if they made a US version for it. They did for the Jam.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I hope a clamshell comes soon. The routine with the PPC 6700 is push the power button, push it again, press the unlock button, press it again,,,, MortSaver acts a little funny for me.

I had trouble with the Treo also, apps launching, pocket calls made. I ended up using the security app to stop accidentally button presses.

I think a clamshell like the Universal would stop all that, just open and go!
    Hi all -

I have a Universal. While I proudly use my Treo 650 more often, the JasJar (my iMate version of the Universal) is a lot of fun. I love the keyboard and the clamshell/flip-around form factor. It's big, but not horribly so. I take advantage of the Wifi frequently, particularly at local hotspots.

Converged phones are a hobby of mine, and I wanted a Universal from the moment I saw it. It works just fine on Cingular here in Los Angeles, and a friend of mine has one that works on T-Mobile. We bought them unlocked from Expansys USA. And yes, they were really pricey.

I've seen the PPC 6700, and totally prefer the JasJar. All in all the Treo is, IMO, a superior converged device, but the JasJar comes close; particularly since there are now some decent cases for it.

Cheers!
    Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    LZMutant,

So did you check a map to see how strong the 1900 signal was in your area before you ordered it?

How much did you pay? If they go for a grand does your total end up being $1400.00 with 20 other charges tacked on there?

If there isn't a clamshell out by the time my contract is up with sprint I'm going to jump to GSM since there are a few overseas phones that fit the bill.
    This HTC Universal is the only VGA PDA with a keyboard, put its phone part aside. The best use of it is to dial up to a Sprint bluetooth phone such as the A900. This is the first choice for those who want a data first, phone second.

Has anyone dialed up it to a BT phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixup
    This HTC Universal is the only VGA PDA with a keyboard
    There's also the Sharp W-Zero3.

http://www.sharp.co.jp/ws/

Not to mention the various Zaurus PDA's

http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-71.html

Surur
    No, those with Japanese keyboards and firmware should be avoided by English folks. I once bought a J-version laptop and never wanted to do it again, no matter how cool they are. I'm a diehard gadget guy, but I never bought a single thing from dynamism because of this.
    I saw from Brighthand forum that dialup via BT to a cell phone was successful. So, for those who want this VGA/keybaord PDA, yes you can connect it to the Internet with a Sprint or Verizon BT phone.

It's a two device solution, but the good thing is: you can use WiFi at home and its battery lasts 6 hours in real life with screen and WiFi on.

To me, an ultra portable device is not just for road trips, it is about available everywhere: in sofa, in bed, in rest room...

Treo 650 is the best, but VGA w/ keyboard is better.
    I've used it in chicago, st louis, milwaukee, toledo ohio, indiana on cingular with no problems.

I've been preferring the Treo lately though.

I would say this. If you always have two devices the universal rules the roost. If you want one device then go with the treo
    Hey folks. Love the discussion but, isnt this thread belong to other devices forum???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Yup, it appears the op put it in the wrong forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    LZMutant,

So did you check a map to see how strong the 1900 signal was in your area before you ordered it?

How much did you pay? If they go for a grand does your total end up being $1400.00 with 20 other charges tacked on there?

If there isn't a clamshell out by the time my contract is up with sprint I'm going to jump to GSM since there are a few overseas phones that fit the bill.
    Hey, we're all saying we like the Treo MORE... That's why it's in the forum!

No, I didn't check a map, Tem. I had a friend with a Jasjar who let me pop my SIM in to check it. And it seemed to work fine so I took the plunge. It's worked pretty well...I'd give the reception a B.

I did my taxes last night and found I spent $1166 for the JJ on Expansys. Was it worth it? I guess that depends. Like I said, I prefer my treo, but really like the Wifi, Keyboard and clamshell form of the JJ. I also have a bluetooth headset that works with either phone, but only use it with the JJ because the phone's a little large to hold up to my head - like answering a small book.

Sorry I was so late in replying - I guess I wasn't subscribed to this thread!

Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    So would you agree with me on this point:

The universal is great as the e-mail/pda component of people who have one phone and one e-mail device (as is common with executives usually with blackberrys), but it sucks if you only carry one device?
    @ OP. Since you are in California, you could get the Universal if you are using Cingular or T-mobile and it should work just fine. You will NOT have the 3g service available but for using data and making phone calls it should work okay. I live in Fullerton and I use 1900 only phones all the time. I have yet to really notice any decreased coverage where I live and go to often.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future