Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been reading on this site for about a week after falling away from TC during the great server meltdown, because I am forced into getting a new phone....and I can't tell what about the 700 series is better than the 650 other than more on-board RAM. I know I am missing something(s), what is it (or are they)?
    Last edited by awinsberg; 03/08/2006 at 01:48 PM.
    The speculated and somewhat confirmed 700P (P for PalmOS) is supposed to have these features better than the 650:

EV-DO (more Internet speed) vs. not
    64mb memory / 52mb useable? vs. 22mb
    1.3 megapixel camera vs. 0.3
    Better Bluetooth
    Fat32 capability for larger than 2GB SD cards for us "iPoders"
    Faster Blazer?
    Other software tweaks?

Larger memory stacks for greater stability.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/04/2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Plus it absorbs that annoying extra cash in my pocket.
    again, speculation aside, its very simple... 700 and newer will be 3g, its night and day
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Plus it absorbs that annoying extra cash in my pocket.
    I've been experiencing the same thing with my gadget-mania.
    Ev-DO is honestly the one and only feature that I care about with the 700p. While it will likely have a higher megapixel camera, all sample photos I've seen from the 700w's camera (and, sadly, there aren't very many sample photos out there for some reason) seemed worse than the 650.

But even if Ev-DO is the only real improvement for me, that alone is big enough for me to spend some money to get it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Besides the obvious features am really looking forward to the "flat bigger keypad". I was never a big fan of those rounded keys on the 650.
    EVDO is a CDMA thing right? - mvk
    Game over!
    I'm looking forward to the 1,000 new "Whats this flashing bell thingie on my Treo" posts that will follow.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm looking forward to the 1,000 new "Whats this flashing bell thingie on my Treo" posts that will follow.
    Not to mention the 500 "Palm sucks because my 700p doesn't do X....who's with me?" threads. Ahh, it's gonna be a heady time indeed.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    EVDO is a CDMA thing right? - mvk
    right you are. SprintPCS and Verizon Wireless.
    - ag47
    EVDO = DSL like data speeds. Once you seen it, it's really hard to go back.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  13.    #13  
    Thanks a bunch, the answers here really helped put it into perspective for me. From what I've seen around here, speculation is the 700P is coming out very soon, so next choice for me is WM5 vs. OS5. I can appreciate the benefit of EV-DO, and its probably worth the jump from T-Mo to Verizon and the increased monthly cost associated therewith.

Time to go read the OS5 rules over WM5 and vice versa threads.....
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I just would like to have the benefits of the 700w and keep the Palm OS, benefits meaning the EVDO and more memory. I think just about everyone here is saying the same thing though. I think the keys are kinda nice on the 700 though, just for a difference and the square d-pad. I really like my 650, the only think I miss is high data speed. I used a few EVDO devices and its kind of tough to go back to 1xRTT after seeing webpages load almost instantly. Here is to keeping my fingers crossed.......
  15.    #15  
    I'm right now trying to figure out if things like Yahoo Unlimited Music, SqueezeBox Mobile, SlimService, Skype, and other cordless electronics options work on both WM5 and OS5. What about a GPS device?
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    Thanks a bunch, the answers here really helped put it into perspective for me. From what I've seen around here, speculation is the 700P is coming out very soon, so next choice for me is WM5 vs. OS5. I can appreciate the benefit of EV-DO, and its probably worth the jump from T-Mo to Verizon and the increased monthly cost associated therewith.

Time to go read the OS5 rules over WM5 and vice versa threads.....
    If you're going to jump over to CDMA from a GSM carrier, do yourself a favor and go with Sprint. You can sign up for a SERO plan (if you do it before the offer expires) and get a plan with free EVDO service.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    If you're going to jump over to CDMA from a GSM carrier, do yourself a favor and go with Sprint. You can sign up for a SERO plan (if you do it before the offer expires) and get a plan with free EVDO service.
    I'm lost. I looked at Sprint but couldn't figure out what a SEDO plan was....is that a version of Vision?
    Someone showed me their 700w this week and wow... the voice dialing and other voice capibilities was sweet! We compared his internet speeds to mine side by side.... EVDO will be well worth it!

Will the 700p have the voice dialing without having to do the 3rd party program setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    I'm lost. I looked at Sprint but couldn't figure out what a SEDO plan was....is that a version of Vision?
    http://www.sprint.com/sero
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Thanks! Now I need to find a referring employee.....
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast