1.    #1  
    I'm told that since the office upgraded its hardware to Server 2003, my Treo 600 with SnapperMail will no longer be able to get email from the Outlook server since I have to access the email via webmail and not using POP3 or IMAP. I'm not sure this is right, but the IT guy said I either need to spring myself for Goodlink or upgrade to a Treo 650 or something else that can retrieve email via a webmail portal (port 80).

So, assuming this is right, I have no idea what to do. I love my Treo 600, and used to be a dedicated poster and follower around here pre-server meltdown. Since the time I got my 600, the number of competing devices has exploded, and now I don't have a good reference on what to decide.

The big question for me is Window Mobile 5 (and some device running it) or a Treo 650. I use T-Mobile, and don't want to change service providers because I'm only paying $10 a month for unlimited data versus a ton more for other providers.

I want my new phone to run GPS, an MP3 player that is compatible with Yahoo Unlimited Music, can get my corporate email, be able to edit Word and Excell documents, sync with Outlook, manage a huge contacts and calendar and does all the other typical things most of the smart phones do (a lot of this stuff my 600 already does). I also love some of the thrid party apps I have for my 600 like Directory Look-Up, Flight Status, WorldMate, and Audible.

I also have one other concern, which is this: is right now a bad time to get a 650? I have no idea how to quatify all the rumors I've read around here lately about new Treo's, but I'd hate to get into a 650 and have a revised version come out just a few months later. I realize updated hardware is ALWAYS going to be coming out, so my worry is just how soon that is going to happen with Palm.

Thanks for the advice!
    speculation aside, nobody knows what new offerings palm will have this year, both the 650 and the 700w will do everything you described, the question is do you need or want 3g, 700w has it 650 does not, keep in mind 99% of posters here are going to tell you to avoid windows, many seem threatened or even angry toward palm for offering it
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108773

Those are the major speculated differences between the 650 and the speculated 700P, which is speculated to be out in May. (See post #2 of the linked thread above.)

If you think the 650 is your machine -- I would wait the 2 months and see if the 700P comes into being on Sprint. If you are not on Sprint -- that is a whole new guess and time frame.

There is no ONE perfect PDA for EVERYONE, but for each ONE -- there is a perfect PDA. I have had Palm PDAs for 10 years -- so I am going to keep my Palm app library going with the 700P and then see what happens with the next go around. If Palm/Linux or ALP offers comparable features to WM devices at the time, I'm there. If the difference is too much, then the PalmOS will be dying.

Palm, Windows, Symbian, BlackBerry. . . . . whatever. Do your research and find your perfect machine!!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    There is no ONE perfect PDA for EVERYONE, but for each ONE -- there is a perfect PDA.
    That's not true either. I've got a desk drawer full of old POS and WinCE devices to prove it!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    That's not true either. I've got a desk drawer full of old POS and WinCE devices to prove it!
    Then there are some of us that are still searching. . . . . .

But it's not the destination that counts, it's the process. . . . .right?
  6.    #6  
    Blaze74---how do you get to your terrabyte of music, etc. via your Palm? Do you need a 3G connection to do that? I'm on T-Mo right now, and dread a switch over to Verizon or Sprint and the corresponding huge jump in charges....
    There are supposed to be two more Treos this year, as well: Hollywood and Lowrider. Not much info on them -- but they will most likely be WM devices as Palm has said only one PalmOS Treo this year.

Hollywood is supposed to have no antenna, a slightly slimmer body than the 650 and to be for the European market -- but Cingular is mentioned in that same breath.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    Blaze74---how do you get to your terrabyte of music, etc. via your Palm? Do you need a 3G connection to do that? I'm on T-Mo right now, and dread a switch over to Verizon or Sprint and the corresponding huge jump in charges....
    lol, I am a data packrat and a hard drive monger, that's how, yeah, u need 3g, but its not perfect, I'm still looking for, or looking to write " ipod killer softwae"... ftp is far from ideal for this, yes wireless broadband aint cheap, but then were all getting robbbed by the telcos aren't we.... my first verizon bill was $358
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    lol, I am a data packrat and a hard drive monger, that's how, yeah, u need 3g, but its not perfect, I'm still looking for, or looking to write " ipod killer softwae"... ftp is far from ideal for this, yes wireless broadband aint cheap, but then were all getting robbbed by the telcos aren't we.... my first verizon bill was $358
    So, can you give me a thumbnail sketch of how you make this work? I've got about a TB of music, etc. on my personal network here, and to be able to get all that on my Treo would be KILLER!
    I wish our 600 can do all what you want. I cant give up my 600. I would give it up when it dies lol
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    So, can you give me a thumbnail sketch of how you make this work? I've got about a TB of music, etc. on my personal network here, and to be able to get all that on my Treo would be KILLER!
    Sure, this will not be a step by step tutorial for now but off the top of my head:

1.) From your home pc, right click on your mp3 folder and click share on the internet ( you will need an OS with IIS like XP Pro ).

2.) Now from internet explorer on your phone type in ftp://yourHomeIpAddress. That's it.

If you have a router or a firewall, you will have to configure it to allow the connection. Also, windows mobile ftp client software would probably work better than IIS.

Also a better solution is to use google indexing to index your entire mp3 collection, there is even a plugin that reads the ID3 tags. Then there is a free plugin that publishes the whole index on the web so that ... when you hit the site that is your home pc, you are presented with a lightning google fast search screen of all your mp3s, and you can stream them immideately wherever you are.