Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    With only so much you can fit in a small package you have to pick what works best for you. To me a GPS system / PDA / phone with a 4 -5 hour battery life is useless when I arrive at my destination so whether it is there or not at this point makes no real difference to me.

The device having a GPS chip means either making the device bigger and more expensive or leaving soemthing else out....you have to make a list of the somethings you want and pick the device that best matches yor needs.

For me the biggest item is carrying ONE device. If it means carrying a second device to provide any of the following, I ain't gonna be happy:

iPod features
    PDA fetaures (i.e. must run nutrition and exercise programs, engineering programs)
    Entertainment when bored (Sudoku)
    Replacement for a "thumb drive"
    Create and edit capability for docs
    PDF reader
    Voice dictation capability
    Voice Dialing capability
    Voice Command Capability
    Travel Alarm

The GPS I only need in the car so if the GPS chip is in the charging cradle my needs are wholly satisfied as running the device on battery makes me useless after a 4 hour trip.

Now if everyhting and the above list is provided and in addition there is GPS, I'll take it but not at the cost of any of those other things.
    Business Week in downgrading Palm's outlook from "outperform" to "perform" doesn't think Palm in Trouble.

"Analyst Tavis McCourt says that Palm's shares have gained 32% year to date, and they now accurately reflect the company's likely growth outlook. McCourt notes that at 23.6 times his calendar year 2006 cash earnings per share (EPS) expectations, he believes the valuation reflects his expectation of 20% to 25% EPS growth over the next two years. He says his limited retail store checks point to strong demand for Palm's product the Treo 700w and steady demand for its Treo 650 at US carriers, but he notes that private-labelled 6700 product lines at Sprint Nextel (S) and Verizon Wireless are creating meaningful competition for Treos in the consumer market. He keeps his $1.63 fiscal year 2006 (ending May) EPS estimate. "

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/invest...306_069207.htm

I notice no mention of competition from RIM in the article.

also this at Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/commod...markets10.html

"We believe the stock is undervalued," wrote the analyst in a note to investors Wednesday. Palm (nasdaq: PALM - news - people ) currently trades at a price-to-earnings multiple of 20 times Kalla's calendar 2006 earnings estimate of $1.87 per share.

Already the No. 2 player in the U.S. duopoly market for smartphones, Palm is one of the fastest growing companies in telecommunications with an outlook of more than 25% revenue growth in fiscal 2006, the analyst estimates.

Shares of the PDA maker have climbed over the past few weeks due to take-out speculation, but Kalla believes the company's management will remain independent, at least over the near term.

In the scenario that management elects to remain a stand-alone company, the analyst advises investors to consider new products, like the Treo 700w smartphone, which is now sold out in many Verizon Communications (nyse: VZ - news - people ) stores.

Kalla believes the new Treo 700 with the Palm OS may be delivered in April, before expectations of May, and may also be released initially at Verizon.

Palm will also have three new international phones out of four total new phones in 2006, and at least one new phone could be for Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ), Kalla said.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/10/2006 at 07:42 PM.
    You realize there is yet another prediction of the 700p release date in that article? We can never get away from it, no matter how hard we try!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    and at least one new phone could be for Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ), Kalla said.
    Now that bit interests me, up until now Vodafone UK have not sold Treo's, concentrating instead on their rebadged HTC devices and Blackberries. In fact the only UK carrier to sell Treo's is Orange. Being a Vodafone customer I'd be very happy if any/all of the new models appear on their list of available handsets
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    You realize there is yet another prediction of the 700p release date in that article? We can never get away from it, no matter how hard we try!!
    I believe that this was actually the very 1st coming way back when in January .... it was this financial report that spurred all the subsequent speculation on the Treo watch sites.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456