Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    BB's do not even need a storage card for keeping one week worth of email.
    I have 165 MB of mail in my boxes now. How much can BB hold ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Maybe BB is more capable than I know then .

Can BB run GPS ?
    Realtor's Multiple Listing Service ?
    1st Responders Database ?
    Open . Edit / Create Office documents ?
    EngTools ?
    Far from a BB fan, but a BB can run a GPS, there are MLS apps for BB, don't know about 1st responder, you can open office docs and there are 3rd party apps to create and edit, and don't know about eng tools.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    . BB's do not even need a storage card for keeping one week worth of email.
    Neither does my Treo 650
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    I have 165 MB of mail in my boxes now. How much can BB hold ?
    I have over 400 emails in my inbox, 2.4K emails in deleted, 1.5K emails in sent and no idea how many thousands in my folders. None on my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Far from a BB fan, but a BB can run a GPS, there are MLS apps for BB, don't know about 1st responder, you can open office docs and there are 3rd party apps to create and edit, and don't know about eng tools.
    GPS - according to RIM site, requires RIM pager. "If you have not already purchased the device, you can look at http://www.blackberry.net.
    1map supports RIM Blackberry 957." The model they have pictured on the site with that PalmVx like screen doesn't look too impressive.

I had seen lots of edit word / spreadheet apps that I am told don't really work too well but nothing for the rest of the suite. And at a cost of well over $100-199 per device....steep compared to what came with my Treo.
    GPS - according to RIM site, requires RIM pager. "If you have not already purchased the device, you can look at http://www.blackberry.net.
    1map supports RIM Blackberry 957." The model they have pictured on the site with that PalmVx like screen doesn't look too impressive.
    Take a look at TeleNav ($10 month, though) or Nextel offers the 7520 with GPS built in. GPS is one app where BB actually has a decent selection.

http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/b...olutions.shtml

That being said, GPS options for the Treo are MUCH better.

I had seen lots of edit word / spreadheet apps that I am told don't really work too well but nothing for the rest of the suite. And at a cost of well over $100-199 per device....steep compared to what came with my Treo.
    Agree 100%
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 03/07/2006 at 01:01 PM.
    That being said, GPS options for the Treo are MUCH better.
    Agree 100%
    ...as long as you have a power source like a car to plug the Treo's GPS into.
    I agree with you to a large extent , however if a new device is announced in in a period when its main competitor is facing a period of uncertainty. There are more chances of beign succesfull.
    The discussion has certainly taken a different turn.
    Wouldn't that device have been the 700W though? To me that's the new innovation coming from Palm. Is there a killer feature (from a corporate point of view) for a 700P that makes it better than a BB at e-mail or web? Probably not.
    However, a Treo running Windows with Microsoft's stamp of approval and support, well that's something that an IT manager can make a business case for.

I'm the farthest thing from a Windows zealot. I wish everything were Palm or Linux, but the brand alone is very strong and gives Palm that competitve device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    How does that differ from any other GPS system, PDA based or not?
  10.    #90  
    These do not seem to be the signs of a company slowly going down the tubes.
    Here is the anaysis from Forbes magazine .

Shares of Research in Motion could realize more than 20% upside potential relative to the market in the next twelve months, according to SG Cowen.

The research firm said that last week's patent-dispute settlement between RIM (nasdaq: RIMM - news - people ) and NTP "was the right choice at this point for all of RIM's stakeholders."

In the very short term, shares of the wireless data company could see a post-settlement bounce to the mid-$80s level, according to the research firm.

"RIM noted that no customers or carriers had reported they had decommissioned BlackBerry units as a result," SG Cowen analyst Robert Stone wrote in a report yesterday.

"We believe these strong relationships bode well for subscriber growth and new partnerships in fiscal 2007."

The analyst added that RIM's end-to-end architecture and well-designed products can continue to capture an attractive share of the growing wireless data market, thanks in part to major partners such as Hewlett-Packard (nyse: HPQ - news - people ), IBM (nyse: IBM - news - people ), Sprint Nextel (nyse: S - news - people ), Telstra (nyse: TLS - news - people ) and others.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Actually the GPS batteries on the BT jobs last about 4 times longer than the Treo's.

"RIM noted that no customers or carriers had reported they had decommissioned BlackBerry units as a result," SG Cowen analyst Robert Stone wrote in a report yesterday.
    While you have stated your opinions on my input, I can guarantee you that RIM has had customers decommission units as a direct result of the litigation and put in alternative solutions. While it may not have been in huge quantities, I think the long term effect has yet to be seen. There will be current BB customers that come up for renewal will (and already are) look at other solutions as opposed to blindly renewing. The fact that RIMM announced that they were going to miss their new subscriber number and blamed it on the litigation when they previously said the lawsuit was having no effect on sales says alot about what comes out of Waterloo.
    How does that differ from any other GPS system, PDA based or not?
    The Blackberry 7250 that you mentioned has GPS built into the handset and doesn't require an external GPS or battery pack.
    The Blackberry 7250 that you mentioned has GPS built into the handset and doesn't require an external GPS or battery pack.
    I understand that, but what is the battery life on the device with the GPS enabled?
    Actually the GPS batteries on the BT jobs last about 4 times longer than the Treo's.
    Is that with:

A) Treo in airplane mode (cell off) - battery about 1 month I think
    B) Treo in standby (not in talk) - battery about 4-5 days, I think
    C) Treo talk time - not sure how many hours this is because I never use near that much in a day.

I'd still claim that a BT counts as an external power source. It's something else to remember to charge, something else to bring along with you. Definitely not as convenient as the BB 7250's built in and ready to go. Again, I hate the BB, just being fair to that particular device.
    Wait an analyst at an investment firm predicted that RIMM stock would go up 20%? This qualifies as news? I think this thread will go completely downhill if we mention all the times that analyst X pick company Y to rise Z percent and it didn't happen (or even come close to happening).
    There are analysts now predicting that RIM is in trouble because they might have lost too much business due to the litigation. We will see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Is that with:

A) Treo in airplane mode (cell off) - battery about 1 month I think
    B) Treo in standby (not in talk) - battery about 4-5 days, I think
    C) Treo talk time - not sure how many hours this is because I never use near that much in a day.
    When you use the GPS, the screen is on every minute...you can't display the map without the screen being on....it's not the radio eating up the battery, it's the screen. Plus while you are driving, how many calls will you get ? Plus you have the voice directions. In strict "PDA only" mode, screen ON, Treo maxes out at about 5 hours.
    I understand that, but what is the battery life on the device with the GPS enabled?
    I think I get about a day of MapQuest Find Me, which sends datapoints back every 5 minutes or so. I'm a developer, so I don't really use it outside of work - Treo 650 is my main phone. I'm just estimating.
    When you use the GPS, the screen is on every minute...you can't display the map without the screen being on....it's not the radio eating up the battery, it's the screen. Plus while you are driving, how many calls will you get ? Plus you have the voice directions. In strict "PDA only" mode, screen ON, Treo maxes out at about 5 hours.
    I wouldn't have thought the screen used more juice than the cell radio.

In any event, I'd like to it integrated in one device like the Blackberry. Most of the use of BT GPS is for in car navigation. The Blackberry allows developers (with the users' permissions) to access location and integrate it directly into their applications. And developers know that if it's a 7250, it does have GPS. With a Treo, it's not a given. If you don't think this difference matters think about a KMaps with GPS and without GPS. I'm betting that GPS on KMaps would have been in the first version if 100% of Treo users had access to it. Instead only about 5% do, so it's something that's pushed back on the development queue.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast