Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I sent an email to my Sprint Business Manager this week and here is the response i got...I find it very creditable because of the level within sprint he is. He also knew when the 600 and 650 were released. Take it for what it's worth...

Me....
    "Being a fellow treo lover I wanted to see if you had any word on the new treo for sprint. My 600 has been dropped one too many times and is quickly dying. I am trying to decide if I should hold on for another month or two or if I should just bite the bullet and get a regular phone or a 650. Do you have any idea when sprint will see a new treo? I don’t need a date just a ballpark if you have one. Thanks."

Response....
    "Treo 700P is coming in May time frame, the 700W is coming in June/July. Both we should be $400 ish with a 2 yr discount.

You should qualify for a 2 yr if you have had your existing phone for 2 yrs or more.

You can get the Treo 650 for $100 if you qualify for the 2 yr discount."

No exact dates, but then again, i didnt ask for any.

nm.
    Hmmm, May was Shadowmite's guess.
    If this is true, it's March, where's the announcement? A lot of people are going to be real pissed if they go ahead and get a 650 and the 700p gets announced like one week before it's release. I understand they want to keep selling 650s but people should be allowed to make up their minds whether they will take a cheaper 650 or wait for the 700p. There comes a time when waiting to announce at the last minute seems sneaky.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It is lame that they aren't announcing their timelines.

I am giving up hope and might just go for a ppc6700 pretty soon. I want EVDO, and if I have to run windows, i don't want to have to deal with apps that won't work on a 240x240 screen. I know they will announce a 700p like 24 hours after i sign up for a phone/service.

Palm is really trying hard to push me towards the competition by
    1) Not releasing an excellent product (treo 700w)
    2) Not divulging any information about what 'could' be an excellent product (700p), because it will cannibalize sales of their crappy product

I've had Palm PDAs since the Palm III came out. I love the treo, but I don't want to deal with crappy design and crappy marketing/distribution. PalmOne isn't respecting it's customers the end-users...They only care about their Customers who are the wireless service providers.
    Last edited by Lewtrek; 03/03/2006 at 12:59 AM.
    I am hearing late March from my sprint contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    If this is true, it's March, where's the announcement? A lot of people are going to be real pissed if they go ahead and get a 650 and the 700p gets announced like one week before it's release. I understand they want to keep selling 650s but people should be allowed to make up their minds whether they will take a cheaper 650 or wait for the 700p. There comes a time when waiting to announce at the last minute seems sneaky.

Hi LT!

Palm does not pre-announce like Motorola and has said so. The Treo is a single horse show. Kill existing sales with an announce and you hurt profits. Palm learned this 5 to 7 years ago by pre-announcing one of their new PDAs. Heck, Moto had a whole Web site set up for their 600 for months before release -- It's their advertising of the brand. They have xx phones out there.

Palm restated in yesterday's webcast that sale would follow shortly after announce. The "four Treos on 06" statement is the best you are going to get. I do not blame them. If you are a savy buyer -- you do your research and kinda know if the "next" model of whatever is out there by how long the item has been on the market, what "sales" are going on and what the market magazines/web sites are saying about upcoming products in that particular industry.

This is a fact of consumer life I learned early on.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/03/2006 at 11:48 AM.
    I don't think they should do it 4 months in advance, but at least 2 months before, so people can decide what they're going to do. Many people will always go for the now lower priced device, I don't completely buy the "sales will be hurt" argument. They must have announced way too early 5-7 years ago. But there's just no excuse to announce at the last minute now, when they have so much competition announcing in advance. As of now the 700p is the last device I'll be considering because I have no real idea when it will be out, yet I can already see predicted releases for other devices. I'd be very unhappy to buy a 650 today, then they come out tomorrow with the 700 with barely any announcement.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    palm has done plenty and every new release they have given the people who care (power users) a glimpse of what is coming through "alternative" channels. every new release has been preceded by information leaks and prototypes being "acquired" by forum members. this is not at all coincidence. it gives power users the information they need to hang on while keeping average consumers buying current treos. we have already seen the 700p, we know (roughly) its features and we know its coming to sprint. now be patient and wait. honestly, they could be like apple and people would have no clue what was coming down the pipe.
    Sprint Kyocera 6035> Verizonized Sprint 6035> Treo 300> Sprint Treo 600> Sprint Treo 650> Cingular 8125> Sprint Treo 650> Sprint Treo 700wx

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.” -George W. Bush

BE AMERICAN, USE CDMA
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    ...yet I can already see predicted releases for other devices.
    And we all know how predicted dates can come and go
    Well Perry touched on it and it's just Palm's market strategy and I think it is actually effective. Ken explained it in more detail why they do it this way how they use the excitement or energy of the official announcement to get inside people's pocket.

There has actually been studies on this, have you ever seen a commercial and at the end they say if you call NOW we will include this handy flashlight. They know if people don't act immediately while it's fresh on there minds they may not buy at all.

I also believe they want to still sell the 650 and as much as we would like to believe Palm lives by good morals, they are a company whose prime focus is on MONEY.

I think the Motorola Q is a good example how they announced it and been delaying it ever since, the phone is not out yet and it's already lost it's appeal.

I agree to the consumers it's frustrating, but again Palm is about making money.
    In fact, if Palm doesn't make money, there won't be another Treo. I share the frustration of LT and others over Palm "keeping us in the dark", but must respect their need to continue moving product. Most people in world are NOT geeks like us :-) who hang every nuanced word from anyone who could potentially have a clue about release dates.
    I'm not all that familiar with Palm product cycles and release dates other than the fact that they wait for the last minute.

From a financial perspective thier movements make perfect sense. The Treo 650 is a pretty solid product for most who are into Palm OS and smartphones. We on TC often forget that we are just a subset of Palm's customers and frankly small contributors to the bottom line. The vast majority of people who buy the Treo are generally not browsing message boards daily to find out when the new device is coming. If they need a new phone they go out and buy it and most who do research would accept the fact that they have to a) buy the Treo 650 now or b) wait an undetermined amount of time for the 700P.

By announcing at the last minute Palm assures that it sells all the Treo 650s it can. This frustrates a very small segment of its customers, people who buy a 650 shortly before the 700P is announced and us gadget freaks who want new devices and features every few years. They are aware that their product with the Palm OS is unique and not many people will jump ship to a WM device..at least not enough for them to care about.

Trust me, I'm annoyed too. My 600 wants to die and I'm ready to drop the $$$$ on a new phone but Palm knows its customer base, products, and the fact that we "ain't going anywhere" no matter what we say.
    What's most telling to me in the quoted exchange is:

Both we should be $400 ish with a 2 yr discount

So Palm-like. The Cingular 8125 is $299 with the two year contract discount. Granted, no EVDO over in Cingular land, but no WiFi for the 700p either.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Why does the Sprint rep has more grammar errors than a AOL user?
    Hiya all!

Well here is my anecdotal evidence of a May release:

I was at the Sprint store yesterday looking to ditch my 600 as I've got the yellow splotchies (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108600) and the rep told me he had heard of a May release for the 700p. He didn't think it would be called a 700p, but anyway...
    I posted in another forum as well, but I got some release dates for upcoming Treos for Sprint a few days ago.

I'm a tennis coach at a university and was meeting with a recruit and her dad. Was making small talk when I noticed he had a 650. Asked him if he liked his phone and he said yes and that he worked for Sprint in their main office in Kansas City. Told me that the 700p will be released first in May and will then be followed by the 700w released in September. Hope this helps. I know I know I'm looking forward to the upgrade.
    I think the may's have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Why does the Sprint rep has more grammar errors than a AOL user?
    This is kind of funny...
    Quote Originally Posted by russ10s
    I posted in another forum as well, but I got some release dates for upcoming Treos for Sprint a few days ago.

I'm a tennis coach at a university and was meeting with a recruit and her dad. Was making small talk when I noticed he had a 650. Asked him if he liked his phone and he said yes and that he worked for Sprint in their main office in Kansas City. Told me that the 700p will be released first in May and will then be followed by the 700w released in September. Hope this helps. I know I know I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

4/24 is sort of in May. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Hmmm, May was Shadowmite's guess.

Shadow my friend. My heart screams April, but my little voice knows what you said; I just keep trying not to listen to my little voice.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast