Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    can i listen to my sirius account through my treo?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    No. Sirius and XM both have their web streams in a Windows Media format and of course our beloved Treos can't play streaming windows audio or video files. Its a shame
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  3.    #3  
    damm thanks
    Of course the Treo can play the XM streams - the Treo 700w that is.

Surur
    I listen to Sirius on my Treo 650 all the time, but I setup an icecast2 server and use PalmVNC to change the channel. I use the desktop computer to download the WMA stream and re-encode it to 64Kbps MP3.
    Great idea cesium!
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
  7.    #7  
    got to be an easier way!come on guys
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    I listen to Sirius on my Treo 650 all the time, but I setup an icecast2 server and use PalmVNC to change the channel. I use the desktop computer to download the WMA stream and re-encode it to 64Kbps MP3.
    lol, omg, get windows
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    lol, omg, get windows

Thats definatly the easier way to do it, but like I keep asking my girlfriend, is listening to XM worth the extra money to buy a whole new device. If that is the only one thing that your Treo 650 doesn't do, that you want it to do, I don't know what to tell you. It isn't worth it to buy a WM device and give up all the great things on my 650, mainly Chatter.
    ahh, point taken, for me the 700 is my first pda, and sirius radio was the catalyst that started the search that lead me to the treo
    Can you stream ALL channels, or is it limited, like on the website. I used to listen to David Lawrence's Online Tonight and I can't on my home computer. Do listen through Sirius or XM, I'd have to buy the actual receiver, and, well, as good as his show is, I'd rather save my money.
    I already have an always-on server running at home. In fact I also have a dedicated Sirius radio connected to it as well. I run TotalRecorder scheduler that records Howard Stern to MP3 daily, automatically. What do right now is just copy the MP3s to my player or to my Treo and listen to it throughout the day.
    So it should be a sinche to just install a streaming server to pipe the audio out to the internet so I could get it on the Treo. What's the benefit to Icecast vs. others like Shoutcast?

Thanks a lot. I've thought about doing this for a long time but seeing this thread just motivated me.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/09/2006 at 01:20 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781
    Can you stream ALL channels, or is it limited, like on the website. I used to listen to David Lawrence's Online Tonight and I can't on my home computer. Do listen through Sirius or XM, I'd have to buy the actual receiver, and, well, as good as his show is, I'd rather save my money.
    Yes, so far Sirius said they are upgrading their infrastructure to be able to handle the volume of adding Howard Stern and the other talk shows to stream on the web. I download mine from usenet for now. It's better this way anyway because i can pause fast forward and rewind at my lesiure.
    Fyi, Just noticed this on SkyReport.com. It relates to XM.

Report: XM Eyeing Commercials, Again
    XM Satellite is going back to commercials.

When the service first launched, advertising showed up on some of the channels on a limited basis. But that commercial push went away quickly in 2004 after the satellite radio service went into head-to-head competition with Sirius.

Now, according to Wednesday's Wall Street Journal, commercials are back at the No. 1 DARS player.

The business publication said that in the next few weeks, four music stations on XM programmed by Clear Channel Communications will start carrying advertising, required under terms of a recently negotiated settlement between the companies - and competitors.

Clear Channel and other traditional radio broadcasters have been battling satellite radio, though the AM/FM giant has a stake in XM. At first, Clear Channel's ownership in XM was 19 percent, but through dilution and stock sales that stake is now 3.2 percent, according to the Journal.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I already have an always-on server running at home. In fact I also have a dedicated Sirius radio connected to it as well. I run TotalRecorder scheduler that records Howard Stern to MP3 daily, automatically. What do right now is just copy the MP3s to my player or to my Treo and listen to it throughout the day. So it should be a sinche to just install a streaming server to pipe the audio out to the internet so I could get it on the Treo. What's the benefit to Icecast vs. others like Shoutcast?

Thanks a lot. I've thought about doing this for a long time but seeing this thread just motivated me.
    First, all this work is done and uploaded to the Howard Stern newsgroup, every day. I download it directly with with my treo's EDVO. And its probably in a much more digital and efficient format in terms of size. For example, i have every episode of stern's sirius show and it takes up just over 1 gig of my 4 gig card. ( I download the 24k mono version. There are others. )

Secondly, If you did still want to record your own, I think Sirius makes a usb unit. This would allow you to skip the analog (total recorder) step. I am not sure on this, but it would seem like an easier, cleaner solution, and one that would not require setting levels, etc.

Third, yes shoutcast is made to publish an audio stream, but if that's your goal, you could just right click on your howard folder and click "share on the web", and you would be able to get to it from your treo. This way you would have best of both worlds, you would have almost live access, and you would also be able to pause fast forward and rewind.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Fyi, Just noticed this on SkyReport.com. It relates to XM.

Report: XM Eyeing Commercials, Again
    XM Satellite is going back to commercials.

When the service first launched, advertising showed up on some of the channels on a limited basis. But that commercial push went away quickly in 2004 after the satellite radio service went into head-to-head competition with Sirius.

Now, according to Wednesday's Wall Street Journal, commercials are back at the No. 1 DARS player.

The business publication said that in the next few weeks, four music stations on XM programmed by Clear Channel Communications will start carrying advertising, required under terms of a recently negotiated settlement between the companies - and competitors.

Clear Channel and other traditional radio broadcasters have been battling satellite radio, though the AM/FM giant has a stake in XM. At first, Clear Channel's ownership in XM was 19 percent, but through dilution and stock sales that stake is now 3.2 percent, according to the Journal.
    My god, Clearchannel, Opie & Anthony, commericals and Oprah, where do i sign up? LOL
    that is not true- there is a program that works called Sirius CE Emulator
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    First, all this work is done and uploaded to the Howard Stern newsgroup, every day. I download it directly with with my treo's EDVO. And its probably in a much more digital and efficient format in terms of size. For example, i have every episode of stern's sirius show and it takes up just over 1 gig of my 4 gig card. ( I download the 24k mono version. There are others. )

Secondly, If you did still want to record your own, I think Sirius makes a usb unit. This would allow you to skip the analog (total recorder) step. I am not sure on this, but it would seem like an easier, cleaner solution, and one that would not require setting levels, etc.

Third, yes shoutcast is made to publish an audio stream, but if that's your goal, you could just right click on your howard folder and click "share on the web", and you would be able to get to it from your treo. This way you would have best of both worlds, you would have almost live access, and you would also be able to pause fast forward and rewind.
    The whole recording is already set up. I also have every episode of Howard on my MP3 player from just the recording's I've made.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that I already have this all set up. I actually record a lot of stuff other than Howard Stern. I was just interested in adding a streaming server so I could tune in to it -LIVE- at any time. All I'd have to do then is set up something to change the channel remotely. I saw a do it yourself project on siriusbackstage.com that lets you add USB control to a sirius radio.
    They don't make a USB radio for sirius like XM used to have. They discontinued XM's due to too much piracy. I'll look again to see if there's a new one, though.

I installed Icecast and screwed around with it for about an hour. I swear to god they tell you everything you need to know EXCEPT how to add a live audio source to it. I'm no tech dummy by any means, geez.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    that is not true- there is a program that works called Sirius CE Emulator
    1) What's not true?
    2) I've googled Sirius CE Emulator and I can't find it. Can you provide a link?
    3) All references to Sirius CE Emulator say it's for Windows Mobile that I've found so far. Is there a version for Palm OS Treos?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    He's talking about SiriuCE, the 700W/Microsoft Sirius streaming application. The Treo 700W is capable of streaming WMA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast