Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hear a call on my computer (interference) before the Treo actually rings on an incoming call. So there is definitely interference.

But that being said - I saw the news report on NBC (?) and they showed these guys testing the air in the passenger compartment not up near the avionics in the cockpit.

GPS - if by using a GPS on a plan is going to cause it to come down then these guys are smoking dope. GPS signals are so weak and are constantly floating around the globe with 27 sats up in the sky that indeed the planes should be dropping out of the sky.

Ok that said: I think it's common courtesy to not - not be making phone calls in a giant phone booth commonly called a Boeing 737.

American Airlines allows cells to be used while taxing - the other day flying back from New York while landing in Dallas - this psycho B***h immediately in front of me called home to tell her 9 year old that she was on the ground and have daddy call me. 2 Seconds later the phone rang and we had to listen for 15 minutes (taxing and gate not being ready) of exactly how long it was going to take to get to the gate and when he should leave to pick her up yada yada......the bottom line was this couple lived within 10 minutes of the airport and the B***h had only been gone overnight.

Listen up people - it's not polite to carry on a long drawn out conversation with 120 people within ear shot range (yes I guarantee everyone could hear her).

So on that account: I vote for Banning Cell Phone usage as soon as you cross the threshold of the door to get on the plane until you get off it!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    GPS - if by using a GPS on a plane is going to cause it to come down then these guys are smoking dope.
    Again, the concern really isn't the plane coming down, and the worry definately isn't with handheld GPS units (you can use those on most airlines).

The problem is with the navigation systems of the aircraft.

There have been accounts of PEDs causing interference on the flight deck.

Will it cause an accident? Probably not. If one of the pilots drank a beer before the flight, (s)he'll probably be able to fly the plane ok, too.

How much risk are you willing to accept?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsu_av8er

How much risk are you willing to accept?
    None by anyone other than the flight crew.....who's to say how much risk another passenger should inflict on the balance of the passengers.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    So, nail clippers were banned for awhile, but Johhny Jihad could come armed with cell phones and iPods? Make sense to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I never bought this line from the airlines. Seriously, if electronic devices were so dangerous, why allow them onboard in the first place?
    The only 100% sure way to solve these nasty little problems of what people bring on board with them or what they might do is to require all airline passengers to fly totally nude with their hands handcuffed to the arms of their seat, which is also a toilet. There, problem solved.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    IGPS - if by using a GPS on a plan is going to cause it to come down then these guys are smoking dope. GPS signals are so weak and are constantly floating around the globe with 27 sats up in the sky that indeed the planes should be dropping out of the sky.
    The concern is with the plane's GPS not anyone else using a GPS receiver, receiver's don't transmit much of anything.....OTOH a GPS transmitter, like those used to track trucking, might have an effect.

Prohibit verbal, allow data communication.
  7.    #27  
    Here's more on the topic

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...hones_rea.html

Recently, however, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University concluded that cell phones and other PEDs could endanger the normal operation of critical navigation systems on aircraft. After monitoring radio emissions from portable electronics during airline flights (with an antenna and spectrum analyzer that fit into a carry-on bag), they estimate that an average of one to four cellular calls are made from the cabin during each trip--despite the ban. The researchers also determined that some of the emissions from mobile phones occurred in frequencies employed by Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, which are increasingly vital for safe landings. In addition, the study warned that avionics that operate at non-cell phone frequencies could encounter interference when nearby wireless signals interact and generate spurious spikes in other frequency ranges.
    I always thought that these measures were put in place out of courtesy to people on the ground. If everyone's cellphone is skipping towers so quickly, wouldn't the calls of people on the ground drop?

Instead of banning all these electronic devices and taking a step back, why don't they put effort into improving the electronics on the aircraft to be less sensitive to EMI? I'm not familiar with the electronics on commercial aircraft, but I'm willing to bet that there are some older electronics that can be improved or better shielded or have better filtering to reject these spurious signals being generated from other electronics. It should be a concern anyway if there are studies supporting that electronics on board can be influenced by PEDs. I'm definitely against allowing cell phone talking but I would like to use a data connection on a flight or texting.
    Asking people to not use electronics is much cheaper than rebuilding an entire cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Asking people to not use electronics is much cheaper than rebuilding an entire cockpit
    Someone should bite the bullet though and go for it. Personally if i had a choice between a flight with no mobile data agnist one that did, i would be willing to pay for it. Not crazy money having said that, but i am sure there are enough of us out there!
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    True...it is cheaper for right now. But I would think there is some demand for mobile data during flights. Airline A offers in flight data usage, Airline B doesn't. Who's going to attract more business flights? Don't know if it really is an investment but it seems like airline industries are struggling - someone should do something to raise the bar and attract more frequent fliers.
    As a frequent (100+ flights a year) flyer, I abhor the idea of the ban for take-off and landings to be lifted. If you can't live without being connected 24/7, then I question your time management abilities.

As for lifting the ban on voice traffic while in flight, I hate the idea of that, just because I see what the plane sounds like just before the door closes and while we taxi in. If you have to yell into your cell for the other person to hear you, you need a new cell!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    I believe it's a conspiracy initiated by Verizon to keep their sky phones on planes.
    But verizon wants to pull that service
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12