Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    SUNNYVALE, Calif., Feb 28, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- On Thursday, March 2, Ken Wirt, senior vice president for worldwide marketing, Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) will present at the RBC Capital Markets M-Evolution Conference, which takes place at the Westin Times Square in New York. The 30-minute presentation will begin at 10:55 a.m. EST. The live audio webcast will be available at http://www.wsw.com/webcast/rbc47/palm and will be archived for 30 days.

On Monday, March 6, Andrew J. Brown, Palm's Chief Financial Officer, will present at Morgan Stanley's Annual Semiconductor & Systems Conference at the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort & Spa in Dana Point, Calif. The 45-minute presentation will begin at 11:15 a.m. PST. The live audio webcast will be available at http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/co...tem_id=1219355 and will be archived for 30 days.
    If such a thing were to occur -- I vote for the marketing guy spilling the beans before the finance guy. Gee, look at that -- the presentation dates are so timed.

(Not holding breath.)

(But hope springs eternal.)
    And the flip side of this, from:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hcmodule

Why didn't I test the new Treo 700w? The Windows Mobile-based Treo is currently available only from Verizon Wireless and has been on the market since January. The Treo 650, however, was released in fall 2004 and is available from Cingular Wireless, Sprint Nextel, and Verizon Wireless. In other words, far more readers are likely to be interested at this point in using their Treo 650 in lieu of a laptop. Also, according to a Palm spokesperson, no new Palm-based Treos are due before mid 2006. So the Treo 650 is likely to retain its popularity for the time being.
    Verizon was also to get a 6 month exclusive on the 700W.

So if Sprint is getting a new Treo before July, is it the P or the W?

If I knew that, I would be in Vegas playing BlackJack.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If such a thing were to occur -- I vote for the marketing guy spilling the beans before the finance guy. Gee, look at that -- the presentation dates are so timed.
    Just think, if I could got a bookie to take the bet "$1,000 says Perry will be the first to respond to this thread" , I coulda bought every TC member a new Hollywood when it came out .
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63
    Also, according to a Palm spokesperson, no new Palm-based Treos are due before mid 2006. So the Treo 650 is likely to retain its popularity for the time being.[/I]
    1. Keep in mind that all the internet rumors in this regard are based upon ONE author doing a "Can I replace my laptop w/ a Treo" story.

2. I don't doubt he is correct tho. This seems to jive with Verizon's exclusive. But as reference din anotehr thread, a lot of phoen vendors are taking advantage of Palm's lack of a roadmap and are announcing new cool devices to get marketplace "mindshare". This may be Palm's attempt at reassuring stockholders and regaining that mindshare.
    Sometimes timing is everything and there trying to time it just right.

There is an old saying "there is no time like the present"
    1.) Palm has never made an announcement at the kinds of conferences listed.
    2.) Not to offend anyone, but what part of "six months" is hard to understand? Both Palm and Verizon have said in no uncertain certain that Verizon has a six month exclusive on the 700w. I don't care what a friend of a friend of a guy working in a Sprint store said. You will not see the 700w on anything other than Verizon until July 2006 or later.

Personally, I would not be surprised to see any new Palms until second half of 2006. Remember when the pictures leaked that were supposed to be the 670 appeared? That became the 700w. I think a 700p could appear earlier but it's hard to tell yet. And why are there no leaked pictures of lowrider or Hollywood? The only picture everyone points to is the one that Treonauts photoshoped themselves based on the rumours.

Sorry to rain on parades, but repeat please "no 700w on anything other than Verizon until after July 2006".
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    If Verizon got their hands on a phone first, the likelyhood is this phone will be a "forever exclusive" for Verizon. See Samsung i730 and most of the Verizon's exclusive phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    2.) Not to offend anyone, but what part of "six months" is hard to understand? Both Palm and Verizon have said in no uncertain certain that Verizon has a six month exclusive on the 700w. I don't care what a friend of a friend of a guy working in a Sprint store said. You will not see the 700w on anything other than Verizon until July 2006 or later.

Personally, I would not be surprised to see any new Palms until second half of 2006. Remember when the pictures leaked that were supposed to be the 670 appeared? That became the 700w. I think a 700p could appear earlier but it's hard to tell yet. And why are there no leaked pictures of lowrider or Hollywood? The only picture everyone points to is the one that Treonauts photoshoped themselves based on the rumours.

Sorry to rain on parades, but repeat please "no 700w on anything other than Verizon until after July 2006".

We don't care about no 700w! ( what part of that is hard to understand) ................We are talking about the 700P.
    Jack: LOL. . . . . . What odds did you get?

Vike: Yes, no time like the present.

However, as I said -- not holding my breath.

Cheers, Perry
    Nowhere in this thread does it say that this is only about the 700p. Personally I want to know about Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    We don't care about no 700w! ( what part of that is hard to understand) ................We are talking about the 700P.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    This is a rumor and take it for whatever it is worth. I am hearing from a friend at Sprint that Treo 700 is coming out in March. He doesn't know if it is going to a p or a w.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Sprint may eventually offer a 700w, but they'll have the P first. That said, I think they are, as others have said, a ways off from release. There's not going to be any mid-April release of a 700p, that's clear.

Steve
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I wouldn't say never but they often drop hints.

1. That certainly doesn't preclude a 700p

2. Where has Palm and Verizon said anything approaching this in "no uncertain terms" ? I see lots of other people saying it but not Palm or Verizon saying it :

"The Treo 700w will be available exclusively from Verizon starting on January 5th." http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1907978,00.asp

I see a lot of "probably 4-6 month" projections and "first part of 2006" statements but no hard number. The statements on the length of Verizon's exclusive are no more than rumor to be given no more validity than any other rumor not coming from "the horse's mouth".

The one thing about rumors, especially eagerly anticipated ones is that one quote can soon be requoted in 500,000 sites making it appear that this is the case. Again, the "not before July" statements you see in 343,000 google hits are all based upon one author's statement of he heard from a guy who talked to a guy. Now this guy may be right but it's still an unconformed source until it's confirmed from other sources.

Here's Palm's statement on the subject, again hardly "in no uncertain terms":

"Palm indicated that a Treo smartphone using Windows Mobile based on other wireless technologies was not anticipated to be released earlier than the second half of 2006."

Now all that says to me is that a GSM version will not likely be available until at least July 1st. But I saw a lot of pundits being quoted in newspapers too about when WMD's were "anticipated" be found in Iraq. Again that doesn't preclude a Sprint which uses the same technology and it doesn't preclude what was not anticipated 5 months ago on 09-26-05.

http://palmtops.about.com/gi/dynamic...3Freqid=760974

The Verizon announcement was made 3.5 months before release. For a July 1st release, similar timing would put an announcement in mid march a mere two weeks away or just a week after that conference.

Personally, here's what I would do if I were Palm:

1. Hint at upcoming announcements in the referenced conferences in early March.

2. Make a formal announcement of the next Treo between March 15 and April 15.

3. Release the next Treo right after the 4th of July weekend.

4. Announce Hollywood in advance of the Holiday Shopping Season to rpeclude buyers from grabbing soemthing else.

5. Release Hollywood betwen October 15th and November 15th.

OK, bookmark this page so ya can all come back and laugh at me on those dates.
    I suggest you all call up Sprint and tell them that if and when they release a Treo 700, it better have "p" on it!
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    OKAY, THIS IS NOT A RUMOR.

My daughter's birthday is 4/24/06. She is getting my 650 for her birthday gift. So, it follows that the 700P will be released prior to that date. Palm would not disappoint my daughter.

There, it's a done deal.

Cheers, Perry.
  18.    #18  
    My daughter's birthday is 4/24/06. She is getting my 650 for her birthday gift. So, it follows that the 700P will be released prior to that date. Palm would not disappoint my daughter.
    get out.....my son's birthday is April 24th.....let's marry them off and rent out their rooms !

My daughter's birthday is 4/24/06.
    Is it the avatars birthday?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."

There, it's a done deal.

Cheers, Perry.
    We need to forward this item to Palm so Perry can give his Birthday Present to his daughter. I am all for it. Just give Perry & Jerry a Beta 700P (oh I wish)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast