Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    I wonder where I rank?

(I still own a VisorPhone)
    We salute you....American Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Just curious, who do you think has done a great job of usability with mobile devices?
    I think that RIM did an amazing job with the *original* pager-sized Blackberry. The thumbboard was wider than current Blackberries, the scroll-wheel was placed right where your thumb could get to it, and the device was small.

I think that Handspring did an amazing job with the Treo 600. They took the Palm OS GUI, which was designed for use on non-wireless PDAs with a stylus and portrait-mode tablet-style layout, and turned it into a powerful one-handed smartphone platform.

I think that Danger did a great job with the Hiptop. An all-new OS/GUI that was designed-from-the-ground-up to offer a great email and web browsing experience, complete with an excellent thumbboard. Though, ergonomics-wise, it wasn't great for voice communication.

I think we'll see some of the feature-phone makers put more thought into ergonomics and GUI design. I'd look to Motorola in particular. They've been getting a lot of positive press for their hardware design, and I suspect we'll see them start to put more effort into the GUI design as well. Of course, a "pretty GUI" and a GUI with high usability are two very different things, so we'll have to see how that turns out.

I'm also holding out hope that Hawkins is working on an all-new mobile device behind-the-scenes for Palm. The MAX UI work that PalmSource in CA is working on for ACCESS could turn out well. And the ex-Hiptop creator Andy Rubin started up Android which was subsequently purchased by Google, and I'm hoping that whatever they're working on involves a new mobile device.

But if you want to know which companies I've seen pump out new mobile phones over the past year with great usability? I'm having trouble thinking of one.
    Last edited by Scott R; 03/02/2006 at 03:15 PM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    He didn't refer to it as a "Hollywood", only said a UMTS phone. I believe he said Sept. but I will listen again to double check.
    That would make sense. I talked to our Cingular rep and he said that the next Treo on Cingular with have UMTS and will be a 3Q06 - 4Q06 rollout.
  4.    #84  
    This months PC Ragazine said the 700w was the most useable of all WM5 phones but that it stillf ell short of the 650 in that areana.
  5.    #85  
    More Palm public apperances:

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(Palm Press Release)--March 7, 2006--Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today said it will announce its third quarter FY06 results on Thursday, March 23, at 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. Pacific), followed by a conference call for the public at 5 p.m. Eastern (2 p.m. Pacific).

The conference call will be hosted by Ed Colligan, president and chief executive officer; Andy Brown, chief financial officer; and Sandy O'Halloran, senior director of Investor Relations. A slide presentation will be available 10 minutes prior to the start of the conference call from Palm's Investor Relations website at http://ir.palm.com.

The dial-in number for the call will be 866.510.0710 (domestic) and 617.597.5378 (international). The passcode for the call will be 90593474. Participants will be able to simultaneously view the slides during the call. Participants also can listen to the call online at Palm's Investor Relations website.

A telephone call replay of the conference call will be available through March 30, 2006. The dial-in number for the replay will be 888.286.8010 (domestic) and 617.801.6888 (international), passcode 88212503. An archive of the audio and visual portion of the conference call will remain on Palm's Investor Relations website at http://ir.palm.com.

http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/03/p...al_results.php
    Hey guys, new here though am a long time Treo lover.

I stumbled across something that I find interesting. On the Palm Investor reations site ir.palm.com I found following post:

SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 7, 2006--Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today said it will announce its third quarter FY06 results on Thursday, March 23, at 4 p.m. Eastern (1 p.m. Pacific), followed by a conference call for the public at 5 p.m. Eastern (2 p.m. Pacific).

The conference call will be hosted by Ed Colligan, president and chief executive officer; Andy Brown, chief financial officer; and Sandy O'Halloran, senior director of Investor Relations. A slide presentation will be available 10 minutes prior to the start of the conference call from Palm's Investor Relations website at http://ir.palm.com.

The bulletin continues to give the call in number and passcode. My question is this, is there any reason to expect possible leaks of future Treo models from this meeting of the minds? I am just craving to at least have some sort of solid evidence that better Treos are shortly coming.

Any exprience with this type of call would be helpful.
    nope. they dont talk about future (un-annouced) products on these things.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345