Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I'm listening now, just put in a alias for register.
    Well?
    OK here is the deal, Ken was asked in a very direct way about the upcoming models, Ken stuck by the famous "4 models in 06 announcement" He did say there policy is to "announce" a phone and have it for sale within days, opposed to announcing a phone months before a release. ( That's good news)

He did mention the UMTS phone, but NO details. He said NOTHING and I mean NOTHING about a Palm OS 700P.

He also talked about alot of Windows Mobile.
    He did say one thing that I thought was good and used the motorola Q as a example, on how having a processor so close inside a phone causes alot of radio static and how Palm has sort of mastered that throughout the years.

Also the man doing the interview mentioned Sprint getting the 700 he did not say W or P he just said 700, Ken neither confirmed this or denied it, but it was a assumption from the interviewer.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 03/02/2006 at 10:53 AM.
    He said NOTHING and I mean NOTHING about a Palm OS 700P
    Arghh!
    I want to correct one thing I said as not to deceive anyone, Ken never said anything about a Palm OS, BUT the interviewer said that Sprint will be launching the "Palm version" ( If he meant the Palm OS I don't know, but it would be consistent with the 4 models announcement) As after the interviewer mentioned the ( "Palm version )? Then ken discussed the UMTS, then mentioned the 4th model.

So after dissecting the web cast I think in a round about way the Palm OS on Sprint aka 700p was sorta confirmed or should I say NOT denied.
    So what exactly do you suppose this webcast was for?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    By the "UMTS phone" you mean Hollywood?

So, basically we know exactly nothing more than before really?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  8.    #68  
    Then ken discussed the UMTS, then mentioned the 4th model.
    Anything about HSDPA support on UTMS ?....that is 1.8 or 3.6 ? They limit anything to 1.8 and I will use one as "George Dubya theft deterrent system" .... that is I figure that I just might break down and buy one of them eventually and if they did that and I did that then that would be robbing me so I must as well just get one now and bash them over the head with it.
  9.    #69  
    Maybe Monday the finacial dude will drop hints at sales projections based upon "aimed at our loyal user base" [read Palm OS] or "new corporate markets" [read WM5].
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    By the "UMTS phone" you mean Hollywood?

So, basically we know exactly nothing more than before really?

He didn't refer to it as a "Hollywood", only said a UMTS phone. I believe he said Sept. but I will listen again to double check.
    I thought it was interesting when Ken mentioned that half the Windows Mobile devices put the often-used OK button at the bottom near the space bar, which he says is a mistake in terms of usability. But the "leaked" 700p has the menu button moved down next to the space bar...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    investors
    He didn't refer to it as a "Hollywood", only said a UMTS phone. I believe he said Sept. but I will listen again to double check.
    I believe he said that the UMTS phone was a Windows device.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Pretty scarey. But considering about two months ago I was averaging 30 posts a day, I've slowed down a lot. Never again shall I have a 100 post day.
    Mighta been up close on one of those boring friday nights we talked about in other threads....goitta earn a living soemtime
    I was at a Rogers store a few days ago and asked if anything new was coming down the pipe Treo wise. The guy said possibly September, but could not give me an idea whether P or W or what. He said somthing along the lines :It will be a phone specific to Rogers"

Just so you know, we pay astronomical fees here in Canada for data. They have either 15 or 100MB plans, nothing in between. 100MB is $100.00 Bell has a better deal, $60 unlimited, but they are on CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstrauss

investors
    That's kind of my point - what in heavens name would this do for an investor regarding short, mid or long term planning at Palm other than the "4 release" mantra they're running into the ground?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I thought it was interesting when Ken mentioned that half the Windows Mobile devices put the often-used OK button at the bottom near the space bar, which he says is a mistake in terms of usability. But the "leaked" 700p has the menu button moved down next to the space bar...
    Palm is not a leader in good usability design, they just like to claim that they are. The usability folks behind the original Palm OS went to Handspring and then developed the Treo 600. When Palm bought Handspring Hawkins' influence all but disappeared.

As for the OK button...I would disagree with his comments. The OK button, in and of itself, is a usability mistake. It was a mistake for Microsoft to put that tiny little round OK button on the top right of a form and have developers put big normal-sized Cancel buttons on the actual form. It was a mistake for Microsoft to make the OK button work like a minimize button. And it was a mistake for Microsoft to keep that stupid OK button around with WM5 and make smartphone makers dedicate a hard button to it. If you're going to talk about good usability design, what Microsoft should have done was to get rid of the little OK button, never introduce the OK hard button, and tell developers to start putting a normal-sized OK button alongside a normal-sized Cancel button (when appropriate) on the form itself and let the user move the focus to it the same way we do on our Palm OS Treos.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That's kind of my point - what in heavens name would this do for an investor regarding short, mid or long term planning at Palm other than the "4 release" mantra they're running into the ground?
    I think the point was to talk about the strategic view of the market - that the broader mobile phone market is shifting towards smartphones and that Palm is positioning itself to take advantage of that. It's not "news," but it's important background that Palm wants investors to understand, especially with the current uncertainty around RIM. Many of us here understand that story, but many institutional investors may not.

Just as consumer product companies need to advertise and market their products to maintain sales, public companies need to continually market themselves to their investors. Investor conferences like this are a means to do that.
    there shouldn't be a surprise here. every single thing Microsoft turns out is a UI nightmare.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Palm is not a leader in good usability design, they just like to claim that they are. The usability folks behind the original Palm OS went to Handspring and then developed the Treo 600. When Palm bought Handspring Hawkins' influence all but disappeared.

As for the OK button...I would disagree with his comments. The OK button, in and of itself, is a usability mistake. It was a mistake for Microsoft to put that tiny little round OK button on the top right of a form and have developers put big normal-sized Cancel buttons on the actual form. It was a mistake for Microsoft to make the OK button work like a minimize button. And it was a mistake for Microsoft to keep that stupid OK button around with WM5 and make smartphone makers dedicate a hard button to it. If you're going to talk about good usability design, what Microsoft should have done was to get rid of the little OK button, never introduce the OK hard button, and tell developers to start putting a normal-sized OK button alongside a normal-sized Cancel button (when appropriate) on the form itself and let the user move the focus to it the same way we do on our Palm OS Treos.
    Well he wasn't exactly touting the OK key as a great idea, just that Palm's implementation of it was better than some others.

Just curious, who do you think has done a great job of usability with mobile devices?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast