Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Funny article from Wired.com

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,...w=wn_tophead_3

What do you think of the proposed "rules of etiquette".

1 Don't use your phone in obvious situations where your one-sided conversation can only be disruptive: at the movies, at a concert, in a public auditorium, on an elevator, in a crowded waiting room, etc. I would add city buses to the list, but those are already rolling prison yards for the most part. Use your phone if you must, but use at your own peril.
    2 If you're in the middle of a face-to-face conversation with someone, don't take a phone call. It's disrespectful. You can go on the theory that if the incoming call is important enough, the caller will leave you a message. You can then return said call at a more convenient moment, and nobody is offended.
    3 If you're expecting an important call and somebody stops by to chat you up, let your buddy know that you might have to take a call. That's fair.
    4 Ditch the ring tone and put the phone on vibrate. The only person who cares about an incoming call on your phone is you. Don't worry, you'll feel it. (It feels go-o-o-od.) Most ring tones are not only intrusive, they're inane.
    5 Don't have emotional phone conversations in my face. In other words, don't break up with your boyfriend publicly. (Besides, we can't see him and being able to see his reaction is half the fun.) Wait until you get home and then toss his sorry *** out the door.
    6 Don't talk on the phone while you're grocery shopping. For whatever reason, the acoustics of a shopping aisle seem to amplify your voice. Also, talking on the phone tends to distract you from what's going on in your immediate vicinity and I need to get around you to reach the Cocoa Puffs.
    7 When you're in my cafe, turn off your phone and don't use it at all.
    8 Personal note to my son: Using part of a rap song as a voicemail greeting, where the only intelligible words are "b*tch" and "f*ckah," is not a felicitous way of welcoming an incoming caller. While your friends may find this the height of wit, your employer and professors and parole officer almost certainly will not.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Most excellant advice. Should be on the packaging of all cell phones and required reading priot to signing a contract for cell service
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  3.    #3  
    I all for Cell Phone Police Weapons Training.....set up auxilliary police. Violators will have cell phones confiscated and smashed with hammer.
    I always find this sort of advice more annoying and inane than the cell phone talkers he's mocking. Let me ask you this. If that Brie in the article had been having the exact same conversation with the exact same friend, only that friend was there with her in the cafe instead of on the phone, would anyone have cared?

I think what really annoys people about cell phones is that they only get to eavesdrop on half of the conversation. And yet they call the people on the cell phones rude.

Mind your business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    I always find this sort of advice more annoying and inane than the cell phone talkers he's mocking. Let me ask you this. If that Brie in the article had been having the exact same conversation with the exact same friend, only that friend was there with her in the cafe instead of on the phone, would anyone have cared?
    I think what really annoys people about cell phones is that they only get to eavesdrop on half of the conversation. And yet they call the people on the cell phones rude.

Mind your business.

Hi Jeff!

I agree in concept with your MYOB comment, but. . . . . .

If she had been having the conversation at a table, no. But the conversation was in line for service -- so whether it was with someone that is standing there or on the phone -- you had better be ready to make your order. And then to wave off the barista while you finish? Yup, end of the line please. Mind you, I do not appreciate Soup Nazi baristas either, but courtesy for your fellow travelers on this earth has done a face plant in the last 10 years -- cell phone arrogance is just one symptom, IMHO.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/27/2006 at 08:36 PM.

Mind your business.
    I agree with the mind your business part except etiquette rules 1 and 2 are a must - cell phones going off at movies are very annoying and interupting cell phone answers are equally annoying.

Mind your business.
    Hard to mind your own business when you have to listen to someone elses.

Oh, and mind your own damn business.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    I agree with the mind your business part except etiquette rules 1 and 2 are a must - cell phones going off at movies are very annoying and interupting cell phone answers are equally annoying.
    I don't disagree with all the "rules" in the article. I typically have my Treo on vibrate, especially at the movies. And I don't answer the phone while I'm talking to someone in person, because that's rude to who I'm talking to.

Along those lines, I get absolutely enraged when I'm shopping and the salesperson ignores me to answer the phone. Hello! I walked all the way in here and you're going to give preferential treatment to some schmuck (not munk) sitting at home in his underwear?

Jeff (hi, Perry!)

Mind your business.
    I disagree that it is all about people wanting to eavesdrop.

I personally could not care less about your recent visit to the doctor and that relentless rash on you ***. No joke, I was FORCED to listen to such a conversation THIS MORNING. Furthermore, THE ABSOLUTE MOST ANNOYING lack of cell phone etiquette is invariably the friggin nextel users who absolutely INSIST that you listen to BOTH sides of their RIDICULOUS conversations, punctuated by the most obnoxious chirping sounds known to man.

I ride a train every day. And EVERY day there are no less than a dozen idiots SCREAMING into their phones in an otherwise quiet train car. That's not obnoxious? It's MY fault I have no choice but to listen to them? And yes, I listen to music most of the time and can still hear them because I am considerate enough not to turn my headphones up to the point that everyone on the train is forced to listen to my music.

I would LOVE to mind my own business if only all the self-involved assholes would just shut the **** up in public places and let me.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Hard to mind your own business when you have to listen to someone elses.

Oh, and mind your own damn business.
    Your avatar says it all on this issue.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    I would LOVE to mind my own business if only all the self-involved assholes would just shut the **** up in public places and let me.
    But again, if these same self-involved assholes were having the same conversations, only with people present with them on the train, would you be less annoyed?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I all for Cell Phone Police Weapons Training.....set up auxilliary police. Violators will have cell phones confiscated and smashed with hammer.

my sprint phone has crime deterrent.. try to grab my wallet
    Nextel Speakphone offenders should be beaten after the first offense.
    I agree and disagree with several of the points made in the article, and people here. Firstly, my biggest cell phone pet peeve is easily ringtones. Just recently I was at an internet cafe, and the guy at the computer next to me's cell phone kept going off, and of course it was this obnoxious hip-hop song, and every time it went off it was like he was having his own personal party over there. Very annoying. IF THE PHONE IS IN YOUR POCKET, PUT THE DAMN THING ON VIBRATE!

I agree in part with Jeff. There are a lot of people out there who think it's rude to talk on your cell AT ALL when you're in public. I could be holding the same exact conversation however, with some who's there physically, and no one would care. I think part of the reason why is that people are always much louder when they're on their cells than otherwise. I have no idea why most people seem to have to talk at twice their usual volume when on the phone, when that really isn't necessary.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Along those lines, I get absolutely enraged when I'm shopping and the salesperson ignores me to answer the phone. Hello! I walked all the way in here and you're going to give preferential treatment to some schmuck (not munk) sitting at home in his underwear?
    I agree. That IS very annoying.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    1 Don't use your phone in obvious situations where your one-sided conversation can only be disruptive: at the movies, at a concert...
    Absolutely valid. No better way to tell everyone around you that you're a self-absorbed boor.

2 If you're in the middle of a face-to-face conversation with someone, don't take a phone call.
    Highly insulting. Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon:
    Sales guy: "Excuse me while I take this call."
    Dilbert: "Okay. Excuse me while I hate your inconsiderate guts."

3 If you're expecting an important call and somebody stops by to chat you up, let your buddy know that you might have to take a call.
    Good idea. Much better than trying to stammer out an apology for #2 above before voice mail kicks in.

4 Ditch the ring tone and put the phone on vibrate.
    Amen! IMHO, the worst part of this is that the speaker on most phones is utterly incapable of reproducing music. Even if I know and like the song clip you've picked out (unlikely since it always seems to be either the latest "urban" chart topper or whiskey-drenched redneck ballad), odds are I can't decipher the wall of distortion that's screeching out of your low-fi, 0.5" tweeter.

5 Don't have emotional phone conversations in my face.
    Not so sure about this one. If the conversation is loud enough that I have to hear it whether I want to or not, I don't really care whether you're talking to your mom about Sunday dinner or reaming your boyfriend a new one. I'm annoyed either way, and I'll probably take some solace in the fact that you're experiencing emotional pain.

6 Don't talk on the phone while you're grocery shopping... Also, talking on the phone tends to distract you from what's going on in your immediate vicinity..
    Nonsense. The mild annoyance you may experience because of this little hang-up of yours is nothing compared to the wrath that will rain down upon me if I buy the wrong scent of Tide. I'm going to call my wife and make sure I get it right; get over it.

The distraction factor, on the other hand, is a huge problem, but it's a different matter entirely and extends far beyond the cereal aisle. Take the same moron who's in your way at the grocery store and put him behind the wheel at 50 mph in the oncoming lane. Cocoa Puffs don't seem so important now, do they?

7 When you're in my cafe, turn off your phone and don't use it at all.
    OK, now I'm convinced the author is the same sort of self-absorbed boor who regularly engages in the activities about which he's complaining. Unless his cafe doubles as a movie theater, he needs to either get over it or buy a set of earplugs.

Now, if cell-phone boy is at the register and can't manage to pull the phone away from his ear long enough to place his order and dig a fiver out of his wallet, no worries - I (the guy in line behind him) will be more than happy to turn it off for him.

8 Personal note to my son...
    Heh, glad I don't know this guy's son. Unfortunately, though, I think he hangs out at my corner drug store.

To sum up, the list started out strong, but the author ran low on material after a bit. Still entertaining, though. Thanks for the find, Jack.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    But again, if these same self-involved assholes were having the same conversations, only with people present with them on the train, would you be less annoyed?
    If they were talking at the same volume...YES, I would still be annoyed. If they are talking at a conversational tone, no, it would not annoy me. But the volume is the key component to that and the vast majority of the offenders in question are virtually yelling into their phones incessantly.
    Last edited by ExtraOrdinaryJo; 02/28/2006 at 09:24 AM.
    - Albert Einstein
    ...I get absolutely enraged when I'm shopping and the salesperson ignores me to answer the phone. Hello! I walked all the way in here and you're going to give preferential treatment to some schmuck (not munk) sitting at home in his underwear?

Jeff (hi, Perry!)
    Absolutely agree. Very obnoxious and annoying. And not a good visual at all...
    - Albert Einstein
    If that Brie in the article had been having the exact same conversation with the exact same friend, only that friend was there with her in the cafe instead of on the phone, would anyone have cared?
    Actually, I find there's a difference. For some reason, when people are talking on a cell phone they tend to talk at least 50% louder than they would in a face to face conversation, or even a land line phone. So YES, talking on a cell phone in a public place is frequently more annoying to others than a face to face.

Mind your business.
    Could just as easily be aimed at the cell phone users. Remember that it is YOUR business, and not everyone else's, and speak accordingly.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I agree and disagree with several of the points made in the article, and people here. Firstly, my biggest cell phone pet peeve is easily ringtones. Just recently I was at an internet cafe, and the guy at the computer next to me's cell phone kept going off, and of course it was this obnoxious hip-hop song, and every time it went off it was like he was having his own personal party over there. Very annoying. IF THE PHONE IS IN YOUR POCKET, PUT THE DAMN THING ON VIBRATE!

I agree in part with Jeff. There are a lot of people out there who think it's rude to talk on your cell AT ALL when you're in public. I could be holding the same exact conversation however, with some who's there physically, and no one would care. I think part of the reason why is that people are always much louder when they're on their cells than otherwise. I have no idea why most people seem to have to talk at twice their usual volume when on the phone, when that really isn't necessary.
    I skipped right over ringtones. You're absolutely right...they are second on my list directly after the Nextel speakerphone morons. Especially when they can't even get the damn phone out of their bag or pocket until we've heard the whole song.

And one more scenario....meetings, conferences, public gatherings,e tc. where everyone is trying to listen to a speaker/presenter. There is always 4 or 5 morons in the crowd who ignored the request at the beginning to silence their phones (probably because they were too busy yacking away), then their phone rings, it takes them a full minute to answer it. 2 minutes later one of the other morons did not get the hint and their phone rings too. And so on...

We should be allowed to take their phones from them and smack them with them.
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast