Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, I find there's a difference. For some reason, when people are talking on a cell phone they tend to talk at least 50% louder than they would in a face to face conversation, or even a land line phone. So YES, talking on a cell phone in a public place is frequently more annoying to others than a face to face.

Could just as easily be aimed at the cell phone users. Remember that it is YOUR business, and not everyone else's, and speak accordingly.
    Very well said.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
    Along those lines, I get absolutely enraged when I'm shopping and the salesperson ignores me to answer the phone. Hello! I walked all the way in here and you're going to give preferential treatment to some schmuck (not munk) sitting at home in his underwear?
    I have, on at least 2 occasions that I remember, reached over the counter and hung up the phone on a salesclerck who was too absorbed in a conversation with her boyfriend / father / whatever to ring up my purchase. Gave me a great deal of satisfaction.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #23  
    I always find this sort of advice more annoying and inane than the cell phone talkers he's mocking. Let me ask you this. If that Brie in the article had been having the exact same conversation with the exact same friend, only that friend was there with her in the cafe instead of on the phone, would anyone have cared?
    When people are next to one another they generally aren't screaming. Too many peeps yell into their phone cause they can't hear the person on the other end well. If the conversation was in whispered tones, no one would notice or care.

And if I am in line waiting for my morning drug fix and she is telling the server behind the counter to talk to the hand while she finishes her conversation, yes I am upset. I ride the Long Island RR every so often often and you have to try real hard to hear a conversation between two people in front of you.....the cell addicts you can hear 6 seats away.
  4.    #24  
    I don't disagree with all the "rules" in the article. I typically have my Treo on vibrate, especially at the movies. And I don't answer the phone while I'm talking to someone in person, because that's rude to who I'm talking to.
    I just turn my phone off when I enter e meeting, movie, retsaurant, etc....the only time I lave it on i a restaurant if someone is coming for the 1st time and might get lost, after they arrive it goes off.

Along those lines, I get absolutely enraged when I'm shopping and the salesperson ignores me to answer the phone. Hello! I walked all the way in here and you're going to give preferential treatment to some schmuck (not munk) sitting at home in his underwear?
    Hey, I remember you. An actually yes, when I call somewhere and they were apparently in a conversation with someone , I suggest that they call me back.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Firstly, my biggest cell phone pet peeve is easily ringtones. Just recently I was at an internet cafe, and the guy at the computer next to me's cell phone kept going off, and of course it was this obnoxious hip-hop song, and every time it went off it was like he was having his own personal party over there. Very annoying. IF THE PHONE IS IN YOUR POCKET, PUT THE DAMN THING ON VIBRATE!
    I was in a seminar about a year agao and this guy thot it was cute to have a fire alarm sound as his cell phone ringer......thing went off and 18 people started for the doors.

I agree in part with Jeff. There are a lot of people out there who think it's rude to talk on your cell AT ALL when you're in public. I could be holding the same exact conversation however, with some who's there physically, and no one would care. I think part of the reason why is that people are always much louder when they're on their cells than otherwise. I have no idea why most people seem to have to talk at twice their usual volume when on the phone, when that really isn't necessary.
    Bingo .... and why is it when the cell phone user can't hear because of noisy conditions, they speak louder. Duh....yiu are in the noisy environment, not me, please stop screaming. I have to hold my phone 6" away from my ear sometimes.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Nonsense. The mild annoyance you may experience because of this little hang-up of yours is nothing compared to the wrath that will rain down upon me if I buy the wrong scent of Tide. I'm going to call my wife and make sure I get it right; get over it.

The distraction factor, on the other hand, is a huge problem, but it's a different matter entirely and extends far beyond the cereal aisle. Take the same moron who's in your way at the grocery store and put him behind the wheel at 50 mph in the oncoming lane. Cocoa Puffs don't seem so important now, do they?
    I agree w/ you on this one.....tho there's a big difference between a 20 second call asking for help and being behind a series or peeps gossiping for 18 aisles. And why is it that they go and zone on me reaching that emotional pitch which renders them incapable of mving forward just when they get tot he pile of "to be stocked" boxes" thereby blocking the entire aisle. Tho this behaviour pre - existed cell phones, why is that some lady will always drop her cart and go into the twighlight zone unawares of the world around her while she deciphers which can of tuna is the cheapest per ounce

OK, now I'm convinced the author is the same sort of self-absorbed boor who regularly engages in the activities about which he's complaining. Unless his cafe doubles as a movie theater, he needs to either get over it or buy a set of earplugs.
    Frankly, if I owned a restaurant or cafe, as apparently does this guy, I'd have a no cell hoens policy simply because if you took into account the wishes of your customers, that is what most would prefer, same as smoking. I'd have a "take it outside" policy for all calls over 20 seconds or provide a little anteroom where the tele-addicts could go.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    How about those idiots who can not do two things at once, you know the ones who will be on the phone at the register, the cashier gives the total, all of a sudden Suzy Cellphone realizes she needs to write a check. She tilts her head way over and tells Cindy Chatterbox to hang on, Suzy starts writing her check, but Cindy has to keep talkeng, Suzy stops writing her check to listen, starts writing again, stops to answer a question. Cindy must have told her a joke cause she starts to laugh, screws up the check and has to start all over.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Frankly, if I owned a restaurant or cafe, as apparently does this guy, I'd have a no cell hoens policy simply because if you took into account the wishes of your customers, that is what most would prefer, same as smoking. I'd have a "take it outside" policy for all calls over 20 seconds or provide a little anteroom where the tele-addicts could go.
    I know where you're coming from, and such a policy is not a bad idea. However, when the author refers to "his" cafe, he means the cafe he frequents, not one he owns (I didn't catch that either until I reread the article). To extend the smoking analogy, this is equivalent to sitting at a bar and complaining about the smoke. Either go sit in the non-smoking section, or go to a bar that doesn't allow smoking.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    And one more scenario....meetings, conferences, public gatherings,e tc. where everyone is trying to listen to a speaker/presenter. There is always 4 or 5 morons in the crowd who ignored the request at the beginning to silence their phones (probably because they were too busy yacking away), then their phone rings, it takes them a full minute to answer it. 2 minutes later one of the other morons did not get the hint and their phone rings too. And so on...
    Maybe we should make our own TCROE....TreoCentral Rules of Ettiquette

I conduct a lot of seminars.....seminars that are required for people to keep their professional licenses. Before starting I ask that people turn of their cell phones.....after waiting for the 75% who then check theirs and turn them to vibrate. I ask that they take thm out again and turn them OFF....vibrate doesn't count as OFF....75 % take them out again. I then state that breaks will be provided every hour so you can check your messages. Anyone who leaves to take a call, unless they can show me "1st responder" credentials, will not receive credit for that hour of the course.....another 75% take out their phones AGAIN.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Either go sit in the non-smoking section, or go to a bar that doesn't allow smoking.
    We don't have non smoking sections anymore her ein Long Island , NY.....every public place is essentially a non smoking section. The ony exception I can recall is a "cigar bar". The owners were in arms about the ban....then 6 months later it was reported that business is since up like 20%
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    We don't have non smoking sections anymore her ein Long Island , NY.....every public place is essentially a non smoking section. The ony exception I can recall is a "cigar bar". The owners were in arms about the ban....then 6 months later it was reported that business is since up like 20%
    I guess the analogy works a little better here in Richmond, VA, home of Phillip Morris.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  12.    #32  
    I wonder when the cell phone companies will start getting sued a ala the cigarette and fast food companies ? ..... "Since getting addicted to my cellphone I have become an obnoxious bore and it's all Nokia's fault that I get beaten up in public."
    I wonder when the cell phone companies will start getting sued a ala the cigarette and fast food companies ? ..... "Since getting addicted to my cellphone I have become an obnoxious bore and it's all Nokia's fault that I get beaten up in public."
    Ah, but like the other suits, I'll bet we find the plaintiffs were obnoxious bores before and have always been beaten up in public.
  14.    #34  
    That ole bag who got a mill (later reduced ) for spilling hot cofee on her crotch did OK.

Jury awards always amaze me, many years back the Daily News had two announcements within days of one another......one chick went in for cosmetic surgery and afterwards her belly button was slightly off center....award $935k ..... guy went in for Gout and charts got mixed up and he had his willie removed.... $850k. Musta been soem angry divorcees on that jury

Then again Lorena Bobbit got off with nuthin' . Least they coulda done was give her a fine for "littering".
    I am aware of the volume thing, btw. I think it's psychological, something about having the handset up to your head. I use a headset almost exclusively with my Treo and I'm also mindful to speak in no louder than a conversational tone. The downside is that sometimes people don't see the wire and think I'm talking to an invisible rabbit...
  16.    #36  
    The downside is that sometimes people don't see the wire and think I'm talking to an invisible rabbit...
    BTW, Harvey says hello....he'll be back in town next week.
    I do seminars on a regular basis, sometimes by myself, sometimes with one of the guys I work with. His policy which we tell everyone up front is that if your phone rings you have to pay us a dollar.

My policy on my own is to say go ahead and let it ring, but you have to answer it on speakerphone and we will all listen in and join in if it suits us.

Once, shortly after telling a crowd about the dollar policy, my phone, which was indeed shut off, started to make a racket, one of the alarms was ringing and while the phone was off, I'd left the volume down. I did the right thing, silenced the phone and gave him a dollar!
    Since it's up.. My beef with public cellphones is freaking Push To Talk..

BEEEEEEEEEEEP you there?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP yep
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP what are you doing?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP sitting here
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP can you come by?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP why?
    *SMASHSMASHSMASHSMASHSMASH*
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Since it's up.. My beef with public cellphones is freaking Push To Talk..

BEEEEEEEEEEEP you there?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP yep
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP why?
    *SMASHSMASHSMASHSMASHSMASH*
    Try this next time you here the BEEEEEEP, as soon as the receipient starts to reply, get as close as you can and start making obnoxious noises, or better yet have a canned air horn and let it blast. When the person on the phone asks you to stop being rude, tell them they started it with their BEEEEEEEEEP.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  20.    #40  
    Here's my sugegsted edit

BEEEEEEEEEEEP you there?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP yep
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP why?
    BEEEEEEEEEEEP cause people around me are beating the living sh*t outta me
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast