Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shadowmite made it quite clear that the 700P is in testing, am sure once testing is complete they will announce. Question is when the 650 was in testing was it a official announcement of testing or was it kept quite like the 700P.
    Didn't a slide from a PowerPoint presentation at Sprint get leaked in May of 2004 on the Treo 650? I think (especially with the 700W introduction) Palm did not want a repeat of that.

Apologies to the TC poster for not remembering their name, but someone posted that the other companies "pre-announcing" smartphones for the 2nd, 3rd & 4th qtrs have not much of a current product flow to protect in that regard. So why not announce for mind share? Palm has a significant product flow to protect. I, of course, would like to see their product and OS roadmap for the next 5 years -- but I do not begrudge them the silence -- I understand.

It will probably be an announce and then for sale within a week scenario.

Cheers, Perry.
    It's obvious that Palm does not want to cannibalize the steady sales of the 650 by annoucing the 750 sooner than necessary. It is also obvious given all the great deals now being offered on the 650 that they are preparing for it. Let's keep in mind that Palm has nevered offered flashiness, just true usability. What the (POS) Treo offers is a truly integrated phone/web device/PDA whose usability is such that you can actually do most things with one thumb. Add to that the thousands of applications available and the thoughfulness of the ergonomics and you have the answer to why we are frenzied. Unlike many of the other gadget freaks on this board I believe more memory and EV-DO is enough of an upgrade, although Palm will undoubtedly also give us an updated form factor along the lines of the 700w.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I'm the owner of an aging Treo 600. I'm looking to replace my device but I'm at a point where Palm needs to announce something very soon. Given my comfort with POS and the devices that use it I haven't bothered to look elsewhere. Frankly, if I look at WM devices I'm afraid of what I will find and Palm should be too. By many accounts, WM is superior to POS.

They won me with my first 3Com device and they shouldn't want to lose me because they can't just announce when the damn 700P is coming. I'm willing to wait but not in complete darkness.

The bottom line is that if one more thing goes wrong with my Treo 600 and the 700P is not due within a month or so I'm probably going to jump ship and not look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    That said, the 650 is MY perfect PDA, and EV-DO, 64mb/52mb, 1.3 camera and better bluetooth will just make it that much better.

There is no ONE perfect PDA for everyone, but for each ONE there is a perfect PDA. May everyone find there perfect match, no matter what the flavor.

Cheers, Perry.

Hang in there Swami . . . . . but if you do jump -- here's to hoping you find your perfect match!
    A 700p would be nice but doesn't do me any good. I will not use Sprint again ever, their only goal in life seems to be poor customer service.

I'd really like an updated GSM (unlocked please!). But the latest rumors seem to indicate that Hollywood would be WM5 based. I use T-Mobile and I don't see their data speeds matching the Verizon EVDO for quite a while yet. So, I'm trying a Verizon 700w. I've used Pocket PCs in the past and this is similar but with some improvements and some new problems. The data speed is really addictive, I love it. But right now I can't synch with my Mac and I can't do bluetooth DUN (which I knew before getting it). But I also can't get the bluetooth to my car to work correctly so it may go back.

My personal opinion is that we won't see an ALP based Treo ever. Why didn't Palm do some endorsement for Access in their announcement? My uninformed opinion is that we will see a 700p for Sprint and maybe Verizon. After that, Palm will use Frankengarnet on low-end Treos with WM5 (and later) on high Treos. This is all just a guess but remember you heard it here first.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I hear ya on the customer service! But at $360 per year cheaper on unlimited data than Cingular (where I was) I can deal with having to ask for a supervisor or customer retention when and if I have to call in. I have found that level of Customer Care to be very knowledgable and friendly, as long as I stay friendly.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    They (Palm) may lose out if a competitor comes out with a better product.
    Good design is harder than it looks.
    I hear you on Cingular costs! All the local stores for Cingular by me seem to hire their staff from Sprint.

That's why I decided to try Verizon for EVDO and to see if signal is better. I will say the data speed is great and the signal is better than what I get with T-Mobile. But the 700w may go back for other reasons. What I really want is a Palm OS Hollywood unlocked GSM with UTMS support. But from the rumors I don't think this is going to happen.

I hear ya on the customer service! But at $360 per year cheaper on unlimited data than Cingular (where I was) I can deal with having to ask for a supervisor or customer retention when and if I have to call in. I have found that level of Customer Care to be very knowledgable and friendly, as long as I stay friendly.

Cheers, Perry.
    Hang in there Swami . . . . . but if you do jump -- here's to hoping you find your perfect match!
    I'm trying. The issue I have is that I feel married to Palm. Between owning the Palm Pilot and buying many applications for a number of devices, it is so nice not to have to learn something new. However, I'm growing tired of the minor upgrades with each new device AND the long wait for release dates.

The Treo 600 is not a perfect match at all but it is close and the 650 is even closer still. My frustration is due to the fact that I skipped an upgrade cycle and now I want a new device TODAY. If the 700P was a year or more away (for sure) I would have purchased the 650 yesterday and not had a second thought.
    I sure agree with the married part! My biggest concern is that Palm in now the only one making Palm OS devices and certainly the only one for a smartphone. Given the lack of statements from them about the future and about the Access announcements I'm concerned about buying anymore Palm devices. One of the big past strengths of the Palm OS was the large number of developers. But with all the different devices coming out for Windows Mobile I suspect the developer base is moving. Once that happens it's over for new Palm OS devices. And if you have to buy a Window Mobile device for integrated Phone/PDA then why not look at alternatives coming out from the other guys?

I don't know what carrier you are on, but I've very concerned that the 650 may be the last great hurrah for Treo GSM devices.

Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    I'm trying. The issue I have is that I feel married to Palm. Between owning the Palm Pilot and buying many applications for a number of devices, it is so nice not to have to learn something new. However, I'm growing tired of the minor upgrades with each new device AND the long wait for release dates.

The Treo 600 is not a perfect match at all but it is close and the 650 is even closer still. My frustration is due to the fact that I skipped an upgrade cycle and now I want a new device TODAY. If the 700P was a year or more away (for sure) I would have purchased the 650 yesterday and not had a second thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    My biggest concern is that Palm in now the only one making Palm OS devices and certainly the only one for a smartphone.

Well not quite....

In late 2004, U.K. vendor BenQ reportedly recently signed an ODM agreement to develop smartphones for Nokia. ODMs enable large, more visible vendors like Nokia, as well as wireless operators, to come to market with new devices quickly and inexpensively.

PalmSource announced it signed licensing agreements with GSPDA, Inventec Appliances Corp. and Portable Technology Ltd. Neither PalmSource nor the vendors said which vendors the devices would be developed for or what type of devices they would develop. However, GSPDA specializes in smart phones.

January 2005 - . The often delayed Fossil FX2008 wristwatch PDA came to market. Garmin released the iQue 3600a, a GPS handheld designed for aviation, and the Qool QDA-700 became available in some European and Asian markets.

In March, industrial handheld maker Symbol announced they had renewed their Palm OS license, however no new devices have been released by the company in a number of years.

In July, PalmSource announced that LG Electronics has signed an agreement to license Palm OS worldwide. Under terms of the agreement, LG Electronics can develop and market smartphones based on Palm OS.

In August, In Palm OS device news, the GSPDA Xplore M98 smartphone began shipping. Intel also announced their next generation XScale chips code-named "Monahans". A pre-production Monahans chip running at 1.25 GHz was demonstrated palying back a HD quality video on a PDA.

In October, PiTech announced they had developed a 3 megapixel Palm OS smartphone. The GSM smartphone features an auto-focus camera, a quad band wireless radio with EDGE data support and a QVGA display and Bluetooth. It is expected to launch in Europe and Asia in the second quarter of 2006.

Given that it takes years to see a device on sale from design to production thru testing an ddistribution, whi know shtat these OMD's are doing.

All said in the spirit of entertaining the troops while we wait for the 700P. There was such doom and gloom around here after the 700W was announced. Palm was dead there would NEVER be a 700P. . . . and so on.

I gladly took on the role ot the demented delerious one.

I will be rewarded.

Cheers, Perry.
    This is one of the things that keeps me coming back to this forum. Loyalty and faith like this is VERY refreshing here and especially during "silly season". I am also a believer who loves my 650, but would love to have those few improvements that, IMHO, would make the Treo as close to a perfect device for me as there could be.

A big thanks Perry, from one of the loyal "troops"!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami

Give me a break. "Married?" The bond is much closer than that. It is more like "conjoined."

Go ahead and buy the 650. It is a bird in the hand and is now selling at a discount. Now that the file system problem has been solved, it is a great machine. Jump on it. One has already spent too much of one's life waiting for Palm to get its act together.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Give me a break. "Married?" The bond is much closer than that. It is more like "conjoined."

Go ahead and buy the 650. It is a bird in the hand and is now selling at a discount. Now that the file system problem has been solved, it is a great machine. Jump on it. One has already spent too much of one's life waiting for Palm to get its act together.
    Listen to the senior wise man !!
    I am glad "Wh" you re now happy with Treo 650.
    BOTTOM LINE IS PALM IS STILL FOOLING US WITH THESE MINOR UPGRADES

And this time i am serious about dumping Treo !! M***F*****, So***of B*****,
    Blah..blah
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 02/28/2006 at 11:23 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234