Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lady Treo, the people here who are leaving for a Treo 700w are still giving their money to Palm. The people here who are leaving for a PPC-6700 (or whatever) wouldn't stick around if Palm officially announced the 700p, because they apparently want something different than what the 650 formfactor or Palm OS can offer. The people who are desperate for another Palm OS smartphone with Ev-DO (or *any* new features) are going to stick around no matter what. They have no other choice but to wait.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I WAS desperate for a new Palm OS Treo, but got sick of waiting while everyone else was releasing devices. I may be back if they do something by June. We'll see.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by json
    I don't think palm has anything left. All they have offered us is NOTHING. A couple of pictures of an upgraded treo (700p) and a windows treo. That's it. They're not trying to keep up with other company's.
    They tend to stay ahead of other companies. The 600 and later the 650 were a year ahead of everyone else. And these companies are doinga kot of "announcing" but not much actual releasing. Palm announces soemthinmg and 10 dayus later ypou can buy it...the competition is announcing 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter stuff.

I will agree tho that Palm is using mindshare due to this practice but what do these companies have to lose ? By announcing these products what products of their own can they hurt ?

That's Palm's dilemma.....announcements effectively stop sales on existing products.

Ona side note, Palm still making inroads into the corpoarte BB market:

http://www.palm.com/us/company/pr/ne...l?reqid=822341

"Today, the Treo and GoodLink solution has been deployed in more than 8,000 organizations around the world. "
    Right now I own an aging Treo 600. Sometime before the end of this year, I will own an antenna-less 3G/GSM smartphone with a non-sliding QWERTY keyboard. I would like for it to be the "Treo Hollywood" or whatever, but I'm already considering other brands, and I'm not going to let Palm leave me at the altar. I'll go WM if I have to. Other manufacturers are announcing their new smartphones months in advance (q.v. Motorola Q, HP 6900). Palm may have marketing and sales reasons for the secrecy. If so, fine, but that secrecy may cost them my business and the business of a lot of others. I'm sure they've run all the numbers, so good luck to them. But for me, the 650 was no sale, and from what I've seen/heard so far, the 700p is no sale. And a far as I'm concerned, "Hollywood" is about as real as bigfoot at the moment.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Pics and Summary at www.treonauts.com -- scroll down the right side of the current page until you see "Archives", select February 2006 and go down near the bottom to Treoo 700P -- First Pics.
    Thank you. Glad I bought the PPC-6700, with 100% confirmed specs that device isnt too exciting to me. Although sliding the keyboard out is meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    Right now I own an aging Treo 600. Sometime before the end of this year, I will own an antenna-less 3G/GSM smartphone with a non-sliding QWERTY keyboard. I would like for it to be the "Treo Hollywood" or whatever, but I'm already considering other brands, and I'm not going to let Palm leave me at the altar. I'll go WM if I have to. Other manufacturers are announcing their new smartphones months in advance (q.v. Motorola Q, HP 6900). Palm may have marketing and sales reasons for the secrecy. If so, fine, but that secrecy may cost them my business and the business of a lot of others. I'm sure they've run all the numbers, so good luck to them. But for me, the 650 was no sale, and from what I've seen/heard so far, the 700p is no sale. And a far as I'm concerned, "Hollywood" is about as real as bigfoot at the moment.
    This is close to what I've been saying. Wait too long and your customers will move elsewhere. Life is too short to wait for Palm to make up it's mind what and when it's going to release something. There are too many other devices waiting to fill the void.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Doesn't a phone manufacturer have to get their phone approved by the FCC some time before it's release? And isn't this how alot of the "leaks" about new models get out?

I am not saying this is so but I seem to recall some other long awaited phones getting their cover blown by this process.

If this is true shouldn't we have heard something about Palms future models being submitted for approval.

Just a question.
    i switched to an 8125/MDA. i had a corporate "suggestion" to get a WM5 GSM device.

if palm had preannounced a 700w on Cingular or t-mobile I would have waited for it. (assuming they didn't say December or something)

I can justify waiting, but only with a clear target date.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  9.    #49  
    It's lame not to criticize this stupidity on Palm's part. Smartphones have become a major device in our lives .Just like a car , computer etc. To not to be able to get info in advance to plan things is just not right & acceptable.
    Including 3rd party software & cases. I have invested the cost of my ibook laptop. So you cannot equate it to a $100 phone purchase.

Even when 650 came out there was this confusion , speculation and the same garbage... few days ,prior to taking orders online

Also you need to separate Palm OS from device Treo. Palm os on a stylus based PDA or a Kyocera phone ,is not as appealing as Treo. it is the combination of palm os with the TREO ,related to the form factor ,and ease of use etc .
    The days for Palm Treo seem to be numbered as a lot of Treo look alike devices are in a phase of coming soon(motorola , fujitsu, hermes etc). If palm does not make significant changes in the hardware & software, they are going to be in trouble in few years.
    At this point , palm seem to be happy collecting there quarterly profit and are not thinking about things 2 years from now.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    i switched to an 8125/MDA. i had a corporate "suggestion" to get a WM5 GSM device.

if palm had preannounced a 700w on Cingular or t-mobile I would have waited for it. (assuming they didn't say December or something)

I can justify waiting, but only with a clear target date.

Exactly, this is a great example as to why, they should tell in advance ?
    This helps both for individual decisions and for a corporation to be able, to plan and decide with a time table in advance.
    Unfortunately ,despite all this hype about keeping it secret, they come out with a buggy phone eventually , which takes a lot of time and 3rd party software to make it fully functional.
    It would help, if they let us know in advance ,so all these problems can be addresed , by the time conusmers get there hands on the phones.
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 02/27/2006 at 11:19 PM.
    i can say this as someone deep in tbis industry: Palm is a very arrogant company that does not learn from past mistakes. So sad. I hope I am proven wrong this time.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by footmatix
    ......In my dreams, I'm looking for a device with the look of my CDMA Treo 650, without the stubby antenna, and half the thickness. That does everything it does now...OK, maybe a little faster.
    It has to function as good as it looks. As a sales manager, it would be nice to have a sleek design that fits nicely in my jacket pocket without any bulges. I hate wearing holsters or similar accessories on my belt.
    Yep, the Motorola Slivr form factor will all the functions [more, even] of the Treo.
    I've been a loyal palm user for nearly a decade. love the treo's, still think its the best, but I've already switch to the DARK side. like ladytreo, I got tired waiting for a REAL upgrade.
    Palm has a history of waiting to the last minute to announce a new product before they release it. Their reasoning may be that boards like these will dedicate countless threads to rip apart every aspect of the new phone, then talk about what it is missing. Instead, you work yourself into a frenzy (hi Perry) and buy the new phone like hotcakes when they finally release it. The people complaining and posting the most will be the first to purchase after countless posts of how they plan to leave Palm for the umpteenth time.

This has become a vicious cycle for some of you and I suggest you seek counseling. I also suggest Mtreosexual use less commas.
    I wouldn't say frenzy:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=36

I'm a realist, as well. Just 10 years of software and OS finger tip knowledge I don't want to give up. As I said in another thread:

If ALPO doesn't hunt, we will all be MS or Symbian in the future.

That said, the 650 is MY perfect PDA, and EV-DO, 64mb/52mb, 1.3 camera and better bluetooth will just make it that much better.

There is no ONE perfect PDA for everyone, but for each ONE there is a perfect PDA. May everyone find there perfect match, no matter what the flavor.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 06:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I wouldn't say frenzy:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=36

I'm a realist, as well. Just 10 years of software and OS finger tip knowledge I don't want to give up. As I said in another thread:

If ALPO doesn't hunt, we will all be MS or Symbian in the future.

That said, the 650 is MY perfect PDA, and EV-DO, 64mb/52mb, 1.3 camera and better bluetooth will just make it that much better.

There is no ONE perfect PDA for everyone, but for each ONE there is a perfect PDA. May everyone find there perfect match, no matter what the flavor.

Cheers, Perry.
    You're forgetting you have a very long paper trail...
    A few quotes from you regarding the 700P "frenzy"...

Somebody, Let Me Out Of This Da*n Pink Room!!
    I kept the faith.

I will be rewarded.

My job is done.
    God -- I just love my little voice!
    Now, if only, the 2/22 announce and 3/22 for sale dates would come true.
    It's April people!

IMHO -- due to the business analysts saying that Sprint was going to get a 700W in April, EARLY! -- I think they got their Ps and Ws crossed. . . . .

(My little voice has that convident tone . . . . .)
    Palm must just be freaking out over this thread!!

Also, too bad Palm doesn't move as fast as Shadowmite and Company.

Cheers, (I'm totally geeked over this) Perry.
    fren·zy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frnz)
    n. pl. fren·zies
    A state of violent mental agitation or wild excitement.
    Temporary madness or delirium.
    A mania; a craze.

All said in the spirit of entertaining the troops while we wait for the 700P. There was such doom and gloom around here after the 700W was announced. Palm was dead there would NEVER be a 700P. . . . and so on.

I gladly took on the role ot the demented delerious one.

I will be rewarded.

Cheers, Perry.
    Your enthusiasm is contagious and appreciated.
    Now an iTreo from Apple that has the sleek look of a (but no clamshell) Razr and a multi-tasking PalmOS could get me into a frenzy . . . . . . . . .

(and yes WiFi built in for LadyTreo and Company)!!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/28/2006 at 08:08 AM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast